GO!

Bought the Walky Dog attachment

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '12 8:49pm PST 
cheer I just sent in my order for the Walky Dog bike attachment and also ordered a harness for Lenny to wear while he's with me on the bike (plenty of padding and fit that is comfortable for running).

I am very very excited for this because I've been waiting for what feels like... forever to do this. Working on LLW and running with him, and I finally think we're ready to introduce the bike. The main reason I want to bike with him is because I am not a runner. I cannot jog or run for a long sustained time. Lenny has been jogging with my brother and does well going a mile to a mile and a half at a pretty fast pace without needing to stop. But my brother is not consistent enough to depend on for Lenny's daily exercise (that is on me).

I'll still take good care to condition him slowly to the bike, but I feel this will give me a way to let him really let loose full speed (not the whole bike ride) unlike when I jog with him when he can't do that because I'm not as fast and I can't sustain a fast pace for as long. red face

I'm not sure exactly how tall Lenny is, but he was almost 16" last time I measured him since I was prompted to do so since everyone in Nosework class refers to him as a beagle on stilts. Just wondering if I will end up having to make my own cord as the site suggests if the original cord length isn't enough.

I guess I was just curious if anyone used this attachment and their experiences with it. Also what breed of dog do you bike with and or your dog's height? Did you have to make any cord adjustments?

I would have bought the low rider bike attachment, but the nice one is very expensive (almost 150) and the walky dog does have a rear wheel attachment but then your dog is running at the back of the bike versus more the middle which made me a little uneasy.

Edited by author Wed Feb 1, '12 8:58pm PST

[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '12 11:49pm PST 
Hmm It seems like it should be able to work with your dog ok if your dog is 16" tall.
I don't use a Walkydog but I used to have a K9 Cruiser (until my bike was stolen, with the attachment on it!) The K9 Cruiser attaches to the rear wheel. One thing I liked about this is being lower it prevents the dog from pulling the bike to the side while in motion. Another thing I like is if I somehow ended up at a narrow spot the dog can slow down and go behind the bike so you both will fit. My dogs never tried to go behind the bike when just riding though but they can if they needed to...

One thing I would suggest is to get a bike mirror that attaches to the handlebars. This way you can watch your dog while biking without having to look away from the path ahead.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Thu Feb 2, '12 9:13am PST 
I actually haven't bike Zeph for a few weeks but if I were to make a purchase tomorrow the Walky Dog would have been it. The springer was more permanent and tended to get in the way of the pedals. I also probably would have gotten the bungee cable to make my own just to give her a bit more space away from my side but that's me.

The rear tire thing made me uneasy too but more in the sense that I've got a cattle dog who wants to run behind to bite at things anyway. It would not be beyond her to try for a bite of the tire. She's only tried to take off on me once and scared the crap out of herself when I nearly ran her over on the bike so I'm not that worried about her running off on the bike.

The people I know with the attachment seem to use their own bungees rather than the cord that comes with it to give the dogs more room off the pedals. They've got an English Springer Span. and it works really well for them.

Edited by author Thu Feb 2, '12 9:17am PST

[notify]

Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Fri Feb 3, '12 7:54pm PST 
I hope it works well for you! I'm going to be getting something similar once I bring Gypsy home. (And the snow clears up!)
[notify]
Lenny

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '12 12:51am PST 
I thought he seemed tall enough, Bianca, but hard to tell just through videos and pictures (I am awful at estimating heights of things). Good idea on the mirror though, I'll have to pick one up at the bike story this weekend when I go to get my new seat.

Zephyr, I did buy additional military strength cord with it in case I do need/want to increase the length of the cord. I do want to give Lenny plenty of room to move up or back or away from the pedals, but not too far either. In a lot of the videos I watched on youtube it seemed most people with more medium size dogs had the cord adjusted so it was all the way extended, or some had made there own.

And thanks, Gypsy! I hope it works well, especially now that the weather is getting so nice! Lenny and I both need the fresh air and exercise, and I'm happy to give him another avenue for running (boy he loves to run, pretty fast too for a little guy!)
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '12 3:04am PST 
Yes please keep us posted! I have considered getting something like that for Angel, but haven't decided yet.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 4:00pm PST 
I own one and LOVE it. It's the only thing that allows me to keep up with my two 50lb terrier mixes. It's sturdy, well made and the bungee like effect of the leash allows give if/when my dog lunges for a squirrel or when we pass another dog. I'm not sure how tall my dogs are but I had to remove two of the springs to give them more leash. You can also attach a Carabiner Bungee Cord which you can get at Home Depot or Lowes (they come in different lengths) in order to lengthen the leash more if need be.

The learning curve for both dog and human is pretty small. In fact, I tried to get my terriers used to it by walking them along side my bike with the WalkyDog and they were so excited to go that I felt it safer to just get on the bike, say a little prayer and head off. I'm not quite sure how dogs get accustomed so quickly to the Walkydog but I'm guessing, the bike, in essence, becomes a part of you so they see it as an extension of you.

Because the attachment is below my seat and my center of gravity, even at a slow jog with them, if they pull, I barely feel it. And it only takes them one or two tugs to realize, they can't really go where they want if they pull so they stop pulling. I even tried it with my friends Bloodhound and never felt dangerously off balance even at a gallop. I also have found that they are over the moon being able to run at their speed with me keeping up that they don't even really care about the squirrel that is running up the tree. They've eventually learned that when the bike comes out, it's for work/exercise and not for time to stop and smell the roses or squat on a bush (make sure they've peed and pooped before you head out).

In addition, while you're on it, you can train them by voice to speed up, slow down, pay attention, get closer, on by, etc. etc and your ride becomes more and more enjoyable.

However, I don't advise anyone just learning to ride a bike or anyone not completely comfortable on a bike to use it. But if you're a steady, aware, bike rider, this is the best tool you and your dog can have.

I like it MUCH better than the Springer because the Springer has a quick release in case your dog goes around a telephone pole and you go around the other side. What I say to that is 1) you should be more aware than to let that happen and 2) I'd prefer NOT to lose my dog on a street should the attachment spring loose. 3) If it's made to release automatically in those situations, how does it tell the difference between a telephone pole and a strong pulling dog?

With that said, when reading the reviews of the WalkyDog before I purchased it, I noticed there was a small portion of people who said the WalkyDog pulled off of the bike so I attach a regular six foot leash around my waist like a belt and hook it up to my dogs harness for the "just in case" incident. Though it's never happened to me.
[notify]
Tonka

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '12 7:54am PST 
So glad to hear this great feedback about the Walky Dog because I plan to buy one in a few weeks as well. In fact, I just bought myself a used bike last night to prepare for it. My dog gets really over-stimulated off-leash, so I'm hoping the fairly steady pace of bike riding, attached to me will help.
As a note, I have seen a way you can attach the Walky Dog in a different location on the bike so that it is lower for shorter dogs...
[notify]
Lenny

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '12 9:17am PST 
Okay, so we finally finished fixing up the bike (needed new seat, lots of WD40, and some tune up here and there in addition to pumping up the tires... my dad is a super hero lol) and I took the Walky Dog in its first try today with my goal being just to get Lenny walking around the yard.

At first he seemed confused and somewhat unsure of the bike and he was trying to chew on the leash. Then he got the groove and was following it no problem. It was going so well I got on the bike in the backyard and did a few laps. He responded well to words he already knows from when we go jogging ('this way', 'easy', 'Let's go go go!!') and so I decided to take him out in front of the house and down the street and back and then brought him back in after it went smoothly (had to tell him 'leave it' a couple of times, but it does have good shock absorption and with a verbal cue he continued on with me just fine). But once inside he was bouncing off the walls like a crazy dog... so I took him back out and we went around the neighborhood for 35 minutes. We had spots of sprinting, but I kept him mostly at just trotting beside the bike as it coasted. It was absolutely WONDERFUL. I don't know why I didn't buy one sooner. He looked so darn happy just going and when he wanted to sprint I let him and boy he was having a good time! At the end of the work out he was barely panting (I started off slow to warm up and took it easy the last 5 minutes to try to cool him down even though it's chilly outside...) and got a few laps of water before doing one more zoomie and then collapsing on the couch with a toy. I think he could have gone a little farther, but I didn't want to push it the first day. We'll build up slowly as we go.

Happy hound dog indeed! One of the best dog related purchases I've made!!!! If you have a dog who likes to run, especially an endurance dog with a deep chest... do get one of these! cheer

And Tonka they do have a 'low rider' attachment that's like 15 bucks for the walk dog if you have a shorter canine. But your dog would have to be pretty short since Lenny is just over 16 inches (he's a beagle mix) and with the two springs taken out of the walky dog to give you a little more cord he had just the right amount of cord if not a little extra. If you had a dog any shorter than 15-14 inches though you'd probably need to make your own cord (which you can do) or get the low rider attachment.
[notify]
z

I can't hear- you.

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '12 11:11am PST 
Awesome! Thanks for reviewing the attachment and giving your experience! Two of mine are just a wee too small for me to feel comfortable biking with them (they're 13" and 10.5" at the shoulders and both at or under 10lbs) but I'd like to go biking with Ghost once he's old enough, sometimes this year.

With a dog Lenny's size, did you feel when he would pull to the side? Or not really? I'm just afraid of biking with a larger dog (like say 75lbs) and safety concerns with it, like what if he sees a cat or a squirrel and lunges?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2