GO!

Hands Free Leash?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Booker

Barked: Mon Jan 31, '11 1:37pm PST 
I am an avid runner and take my Siberian Husky with me during the cooler months of the year. He can be a puller if he sees a rabbit or other dog, but I've used a Wacky Walk'r leash and thats helped quite a bit. Has anyone ever used a hands-free leash/belted leash? If so, are they a good buy and which brands are the best?
[notify]
Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 31, '11 3:35pm PST 
I use a hands free leash for Holly out of preference. It's a lifesaver for me, since I'm a dog walker and a lot of the dogs I walk can be a handful. The leash I use is actually a police lead. It has several different loops and a clip on each end. I just walk a lot, and I throw it over my shoulder. Here's a link to the place I got mine from:
http://www.allk-9.com/k9-sportz-police-lead-p-538.html
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Jan 31, '11 4:12pm PST 
I have the Halti brand. It can be used as a traditional 6 foot lead, around the wait, or a 3 foot traffic style lead.
[notify]

Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Mon Jan 31, '11 4:47pm PST 
I use one a lot when training with my dogs. I use it when we do store visits to keep ME on my toes about training and not using the leash as a crutch. I really LOVE the hands free leash.

The one i use is one i made... i make tug leashes and tug toys to sell and i wanted to try out a hands free concept and turned out i really liked it! smile

My hands free leash
[notify]
Arianna

Princess Anna

Barked: Tue Feb 1, '11 5:24am PST 
I don't like the styles these guys have posted but Im running with multiple dogs so it can become a handful to have a ton of leashes and loops all over so I use a skijoring belt without the leg straps and leash which has a built in bungee. For everyday non-running outings I even use the belt with my regular leashes as I've been scared far too many times with dropped leashes and loose dogs.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 2:34pm PST 
I have a Ruffwear hands free leash and really love it. Like the others people mentioned, it has various settings and lengths that it can be set to. I love it for jogging and walking - anything with a continuous pace. However I do not recommend hands free leashes for busy parks, beaches, or like situations. Huge pain and you'll get boinked around quite a bit.

Here's the one we have:
http://www.ruffwear.com/Flat-Out-Leash_2?sc=2&category=8612

It's a great leash, my only problem with it is that you cannot lock in the "tightness" on your waist, so if the dog pulls or lightens up it does tighten or loosen, which is not a huge issue, but a bit irritating.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 3:14pm PST 
My hands free is the JacTrac

I have the dark grey-black one. I find these to be VERY useful and they're very hardy little leashes. You clip them around the waist, or hips, whichever you're more comfortable with, can adjust the length of both ends of the leash and you typically have that clip at your spine as it's a leash designed for keeping the dog from pulling ahead of you too - a gentle hip check and the dog is corrected, if he's pulling too much. It comes in many sizes and it's made of hemp. I absolutely adore this leash. Also, you adjust the waist yourself, so unlike Tanuk's problem, it doesn't tighten and loosen.

Edited by author Sun Feb 6, '11 3:17pm PST

[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 4:22pm PST 
Looks cool but good grief look at that price! A 2-4ft leash and a carabiner would do the same.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Feb 7, '11 8:07pm PST 
We have a hands-free leash made by Canine Equipment.
Technika Beyond Control Leash

I like how easy it is to adjust, the fact that I'm not relying on a plastic buckle, and that it has clips on both ends. I also love the handle right by the clip for situations where more control is needed. The only downside is that I wish I could shorten it more.

Charlie, that's a nice leash, but I agree with Tanuk about the price. I've also found that hemp stretches in time, and that hemp webbing can be tougher to work with when you need to adjust length.

My perfect leash would be hands-free and made of bamboo webbing. Unfortunately, no hands-free leashes yet.
[notify]
Jack

bunnies - YAY!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 5:18pm PST 
This is the hands free leash that i have. It has the different rings with clips on each end. It is leather, which i prefer, but it is really easy on the hands. Plus, you can't beat the price!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=19040389890 0
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2