GO!

Good Small-Medium Breed Dogs?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shandi *Oct- 2006 - Aug 2012*

Goofball

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 5:39pm PST 
Well I am hoping to get a new puppy soon and I eventually want to do agility with him/her since I cant do it with Shandi. Are there any small or medium size breeds that shine in agility? I do also need a tough breed dog since Shandi is large and likes to play rather rough. Any suggestions? I know small breeds do agility but I've only ever really seen the larger breeds.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 5:49pm PST 
A Terrier like Missy would probably fit your requirements Shandi way to go
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 5:55pm PST 
Any dog with the drive and proper training can "shine" at agility. Some small and medium breeds that seem to stand out in agility are:
Small Dogs (under 25-ish pounds):
Shelties (they are good at everything), Papillons, Jack Russels.
Medium Dogs (under 50-ish pounds):
Border Collies, Duck Tollers, Cattle Dogs, Aussie
[notify]

Goofball

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 6:02pm PST 
Thanks for the advice Missy but mum just isnt a terrier type person.

How about dogs with long bodies such as Doxies or Corgis, do they do well in agility?

I was hoping to get a dog around Beagle size when fully grown.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 6:05pm PST 
Ah, never mind then. They can be a handful! laugh out loud
[notify]
Tango

just a goofy boy

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 6:14pm PST 
Corgis can be awesome at agility! My Mom just started hers in it and its so much fun and the corgi LOVES it! I am going to try with my guy. Corgis are a breed that needs a job, being a herding breed, and are easy to train. They are a nice size and have a sturdy build. They are a happy, clownish breed. They do shed a lot, sadly.

Dachshunds are a bit more stubborn in general and more independant. I am sure there are some that do it great but it wouldn't be my first breed pick when I think " good agility breed".

I have had both breeds.. I love both but had the dachshunds before kids.. mine were great with my children but I wanted a sturdier dog to do more things with the kids like hike and run in the yard, go to the beach, play ball etc.
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 6:15pm PST 
Corgis can be great agility dogs. One of my agility instructors just placed 2nd at the AAC Nationals this past weekend with her wonderful little Cardigan Corgi.
[notify]
Cassie- 6/9/2000-10/- 14/2012

Feed me!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 6:50pm PST 
Every daschund that I have met really should have been a terrier. Corgi's are great fun and excel in sports. You could also look at mixed breeds. Shelties are nice dogs too but in my experience can be a bit hard to work with.
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 8:55pm PST 
Shelties hard to work with? I wonder who breeds around you locally. Must not be great lines. If you get your sheltie from a good breeder, they are incredibly biddable.

For a first sheltie, you want to look for lines that are outgoing, but not working lines. Shelties can be overly shy, so avoid those shelties. They are poorly bred and may be too fearful to take on the stresses of agility. A sheltie from working lines may be exactly the opposite - way too over the top and high drive. These dogs need jobs, lots of training and an experienced handler.

But a nice, outgoing sheltie from a good breeder may be what you'd like. They are hairy and do shed. They are also barkers. And they do exhibit herding behaviors (ie. ankle biting, biting clothes, herding cats, etc.)

Be sure to really research the breed you choose AND the breeder. A good match with breed and breeder will make your future life with your dog MUCH better.
[notify]

Goofball

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 9:28pm PST 
I dont mind dogs that shed, Shandi sheds like crazy. I'm going to start doing a bit more research on Corgi's since I dont really know much about the breed. Thank you for all the advice smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2