GO!

Best Dog Breeds for Frisbee and Fetch

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Barney(In- memory of)

Barked: Sun May 31, '09 8:13pm PST 
Hi everybody,

I have always wanted a dog that I could play frisbee and fetch with (yes, I know most any dogs can, but I want to try to find the ones that are better at it.)

So if you know of any dogs that are generally very good at frisbee/fetch, I would love to know.
[notify]
Bilbo NAP- NJP CGC

All the virtue- of men without- his vices

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 4:56am PST 
I think Retrievers would be great at it. big grin

*pokes their name*

EDIT: And something that likes to please. I know a few people online who have Border Collies and Aussies that are great at frisbee and fetch.

Edited by author Mon Jun 1, '09 4:57am PST

[notify]
Nipper

The 3 "B"s:- Books, Bond, Bed

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 10:16am PST 
Adding on to Bilbo's suggestion, believe it or not wink, an American Pit Bull may fit the bill. Of course, I will preface that by saying that not every APBT may be a frisbee and fetch lover, but that would also be true of any other breed you look at.

As well, regardless of which breed you select, the individual dog would need to be compatible with your existing dogs 'and' be compatible with your lifestyle. Thus, obviously, a high-energy anything would likely be much more dog than you are looking for, but an individual that would enjoy good sessions of frisbee and fetch with you and then easily relax at home and watch telly would be a good choice. way to go

All that said, it might interest you to look at fellow Dogster Wallace's page, as well as his personal web site. He is an American Pit Bull and the 2007 Purina Incredible Dog Challenge Freestyle Flying Disc National Champion. You may not want to compete, but it could be helpful nonetheless to check him out as he participates in one of the activities you are interested in 'and' lives in a multi-dog household with both small and large breeds. smile

Best of luck with your search for your frisbee and fetch dog! wishes
[notify]

Marlo

I'm A Good Dog,- I Just Do Bad- Things

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 10:34am PST 
Oh man I love Wallace so much! I see a lot of border collies and Australian shepherds doing disc but Wallace just rocks.

Here's a hilarious video of him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_OpLc2qdug
[notify]
Sonny Jim

Franks say that- I'm BACK IN- BLACK!

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 10:46pm PST 
Wow, that's so cool about Wallace!

I might also suggest a dog like myself, Sonny Jim, a Lab/Pit mix! smile
[notify]
Grady

Disc Dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 9:40am PST 
There really is no best breed for frisbee. There are many breeds that are great frisbee dogs... Aussies, Border Collies, Whipets, Rat Terriers and then there's Wallace. The biggest difference is prey drive and bring out the drive in a dog.

You forget to mention Wallace was the 2006 World Champion. For more information check out the Minnesota Disc Dog web site: www.mndiscdog.com There is alot of information on disc dogging. Roo (Wallaces' handler) is one of the top members of this group.
[notify]
Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Ban Breed- Specific- Legislation

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 10:17am PST 
We love to go watch Wallace perform whenever we can. All of the dogs in that club are fun to watch! Roo's little dog, Scooby Snack is a disc dog too, but I can't remember off the top of my head what breed he is.

On that note, Abby can't catch a frisbee in her mouth to save her soullaugh out loud She can chase one, and she can destroy one, but she can't catch one! It's kind of funny because she can catch anything else that you throw at herthinking

On a side notewaveSonny Jim - I posted Buddy's latest update so be sure to check it out - it's PAWSOME!!!way to go
[notify]
Grady

Disc Dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 10:48am PST 
Abby check out Rochester Fest June 20 & 21 in Rochester MN. There will be a disc dog competition on both days. I'm sure Wallace and Scooby will be there if not competing. BTW - Scooby is a Rat Terrier.
[notify]
Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Ban Breed- Specific- Legislation

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 11:03am PST 
Grady, were you at the Pet Expo in the cities?
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 12:04pm PST 
AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3