GO!

What breed makes the best agility dog?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Sophie

Princess of- Puptown

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 4:51am PST 
I have been reading numerous book about the subject in general. What is your opinion on the matter?
thinking
[notify]
Marvin, CGC,- FGDCH40K,- TFP

Where's my- ball????

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 6:09am PST 
I don't think there is any Best breed for agility. Any breed has it's strengths and weaknesses. I certainly wouldn't purchase a breed based on that criteria.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 7:54am PST 
Agree. Don't buy a pup because it is pretty either. Find one that you LOVE and can work with.

I do prefer my dogs to be skinnier types. So if for instance I wanted a bully breed a pit or Boston could be a better build than an English for me.

I have seen slow and fast Border collies, Aussies, Cattle dogs, hounds, papillons, shelties, beagles, spaniels, sighthounds, chihuahuas, terriers - any breed can be fast or slow, connected or disconnected from the handler.
[notify]

Petie

Train me what I- can do

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 11:34am PST 
Typically people start agility with the dog that they already have.
Then when they are seeking a second dog I think the first critria is the breed and type/style of dog that suits YOU the best off the agility field. What is the point of having a dog that you don't adore nor can you live with it (meaning that it drives you nuts in your home).

You have to look at your skills as an agility handler and how much training you are willing to invest or not invest. Some breeds or types are easier or maybe better said by saying 'less challenging to train and run'.
Drives play a huge role in this as well, its a well known fact that fast high drive dogs take longer to train, along with the handler and the dog needing higher skills.

Personally I am a speed junkie and wouldn't want to run a slower dog happy dance
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 4:00pm PST 
I agree with Petie.

Many breeds can be hugely succesful at agility and I wouldn't every say one breed was best. I agree you look first for something that will suit your needs off the agility field. And, it also depends on what you want to accomplish in the agility ring. Let's face it, the chances of a Newfie ever making the World Team is extremely limited. smile

Personally, I also like speed and look for breeds that will meet my need for speed. I also like smaller dogs. Within the breeds I like, I then look for lines that have the attitude/structure, etc. that I like. I then look for the best breeders in these various lines, and whittle down from there.

But as for breeds - there are many excellent agility dogs from a wide variety of breeds.
[notify]
UR01 UAGII - Toby - RN

Ha ha - Take that,- Bandit!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 5:07pm PST 
We get beat out regularly by mixed breeds of every type. We do UKC agility, which welcomes both purebreds and mixes. Most of the mixes that are doing great are dogs that were turned into the shelter for being too active for their original owners to handle. It helps to have a dog who is motivated by something - whether it be food, toys or praise. It's easier to train a dog who is trying to figure out what will earn him his reward. It makes him want to work.
[notify]
MACH ADCH- Lilliana TQX

My idea of a- holiday is- playing agility!

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 5:38pm PST 
So, I'm going to be a handful, huh? big grinwink
I'm fast and right now a little bossy about when "I" want to start the exercise. The plan is to channel the energy and t-r-a-i-n momma on how to keep up with me or better, be able to work with me from a distance.

That's a good question about what makes the best. Wonder if it's the mix between dog and owner that matters. I'd bet there are some very skilled handlers with less speedy dogs that have an amazing bond and just excel at agility.

Keeping your dog fit seems like it could impact the outcome too.
[notify]
Sophie

Princess of- Puptown

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 6:21pm PST 
My Daddy has a hard time keeping up with me when I take off at top speed! He calls me his little Rocket Dog. He aslo says my little legs move so fast he can't see them when I'm on the run.
snoopy
[notify]
Petie

Train me what I- can do

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 9:09pm PST 
Lilliana;
Absolutely there are awesome handlers with dogs that may not be rockets and they do amazingly well. Their Q rates are often very high.
The problem with running a speed demon is, that as a handler if you make a mistake, even a slight one, you don't have time to fix it!!!!!!!!
It is common with such a dog, that the handler has to be bang on with their timing AND you have to provide info to the dog as many as several obstacles in advance as to where they are going.

And everyone should be always striving to improve their bond with their dog, on and off the agility field no matter what level they are at or what their success may or may not be.
[notify]
Penny- CL3,TBAD,- TG-2

~No- Longer Fat- Bottom'd- Girrrl!~

Barked: Sun Sep 14, '08 5:37am PST 
I agree, there is no one best breed (or breed mix) for agility!! I think looking more for the personality that is going to suit you as a handler in the ring is a better method.

When Mom got me it was as a companion for her and Jelly Bean.. Naturally I went to obedience, and from there was allowed to try agility, we started taking classes in it to enjoy our bond, and after a year of classes we started taking it seriously, but only because I am good at it, now two years into classes I am competing regularly, I am not as fast at competition as I could be, but Mom says that with time I will be. I says when I finish runs in half the SCT (standard course time) thats plenty fast enough...but then again, sometimes I just squeak out the Q but a fraction of a second..

Mom has concidered getting a different breed to do agility, but she is going to stick with us dachshunds.. Pearl is showing an interest, and she is faster on the ground (no obsticals) than I am..
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5