GO!

My 15 lb Pom at exactly 6 months

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Lil Baer- Bear

Barked: Tue Oct 8, '13 10:56pm PST 
Hey I am a head taller than Mom and step Dad I am a pedigreed AKC Pom Mom also did not cheat how big will I be and my goodness I should be able to have great puppies???smile
[notify]
Ruby SoHo

Destination- Unknown

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 3:34am PST 
Weight chart that I used said Bear should end up around 17-18lbs full grown.

No reason to breed her shrug She's already over twice the weight of the AKC standard (3-7lbs). Any bigger or smaller is considered to be substandard.
And while Pomeranians were at one point a larger sled pulling breed, they aren't anymore, they're considered a toy breed. A lapdog.

There are currently over 2000 Pomeranians looking for homes in North America right now. There's no reason to breed unless you're going to breed an exceptional dog (ie. Champion show ring, temperament tested, genetic health clearances) which unfortunately, at 15lbs at 6 months, your pup is already much too big.

Love your girl, I'm sure she's a great pet, but there's just no reason to breed her.
[notify]
Lil Baer- Bear

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 4:01am PST 
So how does 2 well bred AKC quality dogs have my little monster ,Poms are so delicate Sophia having only 2 pups had to have supplements to nurse, with her pedigree Bear at her size breeding with a small male and having small genes should have a quality litter she will be able to care for ? as far as all these unwanted dogs I sure do not see here in the Houston area even Poms without papers go for 3-400.00 ,anyone buying a dog from us will have to pass a complete wellness ck for loving family ,I have saw the awful brutality of puppy mills ,so sad. Bear is a exceptional smart dog we have mini farm chickens and such ,and at her age does not even think of bothering ,my Bud Louis another story ,if he is not watched ,would have a field day eating all ,spent 40 bucks for 2 half grown Guina fowl Louis never being out unless in yard or leashed accidently escaped and well my 40.00 guineas did not last 2 days. He also is my deer tracking dog if you can believe what a nose its funny I have to carry because his fur gets tangled and such a baby doesn't want his hair pulled. In closing do not think bad of me wanting to breed her when time is right at her size her or if she has other large pups are going to make a good loving dogs for people who do not show. smile
[notify]

Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 7:28am PST 
"AKC" and "quality" are not synonymous and are often contradictions in terms.

Don't breed your dog. A dog that comes with "papers" is no more valuable than one without when there's not a carefully considered history behind it (which clearly, in your case, there isn't). Genetics play out in weird ways and puppies are not 50/50 splits between their sire & dam.

Enjoy your pom!
[notify]
Skyline

Snow- Queen

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 8:01am PST 
To answer your question about size, there is a "throwback" gene that can sometimes cause overly large Pomeranians.

Now as for breeding....

I agree with Ruby and Cohen.
You aren't breeding to better the breed, so why breed?
Having a dog papered does not give you the right to breed, nor does it mean your breeding quality dogs. Are you on a limited registration? You would be unnecessarily putting your dogs health and possibly life at risk by breeding her. Just spay her and enjoy her as a family dog.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 11:17am PST 
Like others have said papers do not equal quality. Puppy mill dogs have papers too. Pomeranians have a lot of genetic health problems. If there is no history of genetic testing (such as OFA, CERF, thyroid etc.) from this dogs breeder, and you are not doing genetic health testing to ensure you are not passing down hereditary diseases, then you do not need to breed.

Also... Poms in need of homes in the Houston area

Edited by author Wed Oct 9, '13 11:19am PST

[notify]
Ruby SoHo

Destination- Unknown

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 12:24pm PST 
To avoid misinterpretation:
Nicky, the link didn't work properly, so it incorrectly says "We can't find any"
But through that link, you can input Houston and Pomeranian and see.

Rest assured there are indeed many Poms and Pom mixes in the area looking for homes.

Edited by author Wed Oct 9, '13 12:25pm PST

[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 12:32pm PST 
Two puppies in the litter is I believe fairly normal for a Pomeranian.
At 15 pounds that is more than twice the standard size meaning way too big according to AKC standard. Why even bring up that they are AKC registered if you're just going to ignore the standard anyway?
Pomeranians can have many health problems including heart, eye, hip and thyroid problems and luxating patellas as well as seizure disorders and they should not be bred without being tested for those which can be tested for. In fact the parents and grandparents etc should be tested as well and you need to know if any of the parents, grandparents and so on suffered from these conditions before breeding. Even if your dog is clear, she could still be carrying the genes for a disease from her parents and pass that on to her puppies.
[notify]
Lil Baer- Bear

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 3:00am PST 
My last post concerning my wonderful dog ,no I did not want a 15 lb dog she gives mom and step-dad fits she can walk right over them . I am a country boy with chickens and such what a smart dog does not even think of going after them and minds well. The real trouble with this breed and most is the show crowd that thinks these dogs shoud be 4lbs with their closed tracheas and all other problems just because the Queen of England wanted to turn 30 Spitzs into 4 lb pocket dogs we wonder why so many up for adoption they are either someone old that has passed and no one wants a old dog or all these susposed show breeders find these dogs OMG are not show quality well since my sister is a vet the only good info I have found is to make sure she tests clean for all these disorders from breeding so small .If I do choose to breed I have found other people with Giants and maybe Poms at 10-20 lbs would make Great Furry fun-loving farm dogs loyal and smart and I would bet not half the health problems that these tiny tea-cup highly overpriced dogs that show breeders are determined to raise. Remember this breeds not to distant ancestors pulled sleds Thanks All for the Interest Lil Big Baer Bear
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 3:52am PST 
The problem isn't "show breeders" the problem is unethical breeders. An ethical breeder will always take the dog back if the owner can't keep him/her.

Show breeders have done the testing, proved their dogs and have a waiting list for the puppies.(They are the best place to get a pet quality puppy if you aren't adopting. A lot of the litter will be pet quality and will be sold with a spay/neuter contract) They aren't the problem. People breeding in their back yard, puppy mills, and ignorant breeders are.

If you want a 30 Pound farm dog, why don't you look for a breed that is a 30 pound farm dog instead of adding to the non-breed standard overpopulation.

(Note, no ethical breeder would breed a dog with a collapsing Trachea or other health problems.)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4