GO!

Exercise Requirements

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Gabey

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 11:32pm PST 
I have two chihuahuas that are regular sized, not exceptionally small or large. They are incredibly content with just being near you, no matter where you are. They are fed raw, have daily training sessions for fun, and have very enriched lives. However, (don't beat me up for saying this!) they don't get daily walks. Within the last few years I've come into medical problems that make physical activity very difficult and draining for me. They don't seem to mind not getting out other than their 3 times a day block walk for potty breaks. My question is, if I supplement the walks with say park time, would it be just as healthy for them?
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 3:58am PST 
Princesse does not get out at all in the winter or during rainstorms. She doesn't even get outside to potty, as she is litter box trained! I walk her when the weather is appropriate and she gets playtime inside when the weather is uncooperative. She seems pretty happy and healthy and is a healthy 5.5 pounds. I would not worry to much about it, Chis are often recommend for seniors or people with physical limitations. As you are aware,what makes them the happiest is just to be with their people, whether it be sitting on their lap or talking a healthy walkbig grin

ETA the answer to your question would be "Yes" smile

Edited by author Sat Sep 14, '13 4:00am PST

[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 10:36am PST 
As long as they aren't becoming obese, or "acting out" It should be fine. Hazel does not get outside for a walk everyday either. When winter comes I doubt she will want to go out at all!
[notify]

Peter Parker

It's good to be- the King!

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 11:36am PST 
I agree with Hazel in that if they are not obese or acting out it's should be fine. But, exercise is crucial for Cardiovascular health. Just like us humans need 30-60 minutes of moderate/intense activity everyday for our cardiovascular health so do dogs. Peter just turned 12 and he still gets 2 long walks twice a day. But, also too, I am more than capable. So, maybe you could hire a dog walker/runner to exercise them a few days a week. They'd probably love getting out to run around and smell stuff. Dog walkers are relatively cheap and oftentimes neighborhood kids will do it for a minimal fee. Just a thought!hug
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 11:41pm PST 
@Peter That's awesome! I love to walk dog's, but Hazel is to anxious to take long walks thinking She gets really anxious for some reason if we wander to far from home. The funny thing is I have taken her hiking, and we did 4 hours non-stop and she walked ahead of me, and was not anxious at all!

She gets nervous walking on the sidewalks at home, but is fine walking on nature paths shrug

She is still young and likes to play a lot, especially fetch. Where she gets most of her daily exercise from.
[notify]
Jellybean

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 10:21pm PST 
I seen that you said they go out 3 times a day for a block walk to do their business that should be fine because they are still getting out for some fresh air and getting a walk (be it small or not) 3 times a day.

Edited by author Mon Sep 16, '13 10:22pm PST

[notify]
Gabey

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 8:15pm PST 
Good, I was worried about their health, but I feel better now about substituting the walks. Thanks for your support guys!
[notify]