GO!

Apartment Potty Options

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Olivia

out of the brave- comes the- shiverer!

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 3:47am PST 
I have two Chihuahuas that are 5 years old that I adopted from an abusive family a year and a half ago. I've been keeping them in my bathroom where they have their two dog beds, water bowl, food bowl, and their litter box. I'd love, love, LOVE to be able to leave them loose in the house so they can play, roam, and feel more comfortable when left alone. However, whenever they are left alone they soil everywhere but their litter box! What can I do to allow them more freedom while not ruining my carpets?
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 4:18pm PST 
They should not be given free reign of the house until they are house trained. Have you tried the tethering method with each one at a time? Clean up any messes with an enzymatic cleaner.
[notify]
Olivia

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 4:55pm PST 
Well, see they're fine if I'm at home. They're quite attached to my hip even without a leash and don't have any accidents while around me. However, it's when I leave for the day that the soiling starts. They don't have to be sequestered in the bathroom unless I'm at school. It's college, so I'm not gone for the whole day, just a few hours. Even if I was gone from 8 to 8 I wouldn't expect them to hold their bladders that long. When they're confined to the bathroom (with a baby gate so they still get fresh air!), they use their litter box no problem. How do I get them to understand that if they're left loose alone, they still have to use the litterbox? Should I have more around?
[notify]

Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 5:51pm PST 
U can have more around, but honestly it sounds like they have more room in the bathroom than being in a crate or exercise pen, and it sounds like they have a bed and each other to play with.im not sure that u really need to let them have free roam. But I have heard out of site out of mind with litter boxes so one should be in ever room. Sandy is the same way with pee pads if he is loose there has to be one within the room or he won't use it.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 8:26am PST 
How about taking them for a good walk before you leave? A half an hour walk should relieve their bladders enough so they can go for a couple of hours in the house without relieving themselves. Clean with a good enzymatic cleaner where they go to the bathroom in the apartment. Litterbox training is all good for when you have to leave for long hours but it doesn't replace a good walk. If you only go for a couple of hours, go out for a walk instead, there is no excuse that you can't do that.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 3:25pm PST 
we don't let our chis run unsupervised in the apartment at all. If we have to leave for more than a minute, they go into their boxes. They even go to their boxes when we check the mail. If we have to leave for more than 8 hours, we etiher take them with us, or we don't go. that's pretty much how we live. That way if some tragedy hits while were gone for that brief time, they're safe in their hard crates and can be rescued without rescue personell searching for them. I don't feel bad at all about crating them.

As for potty options, simple is best with these guys, they prefer the puppy mats to anything else, and we just keep enzymatic around. Out! also puts out an odor and moisture absorbing crystal that we enjoy very much. It seems to pull up all that hidden moisture really well for those times when they miss.
[notify]
Button

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 8:12am PST 
I put Button in his crate when he is left at home. There is nothing the matter with putting them in the bathroom when you are gone, it sounds like you make sure they are quite comfortable.
[notify]
Jersey

Barked: Wed Sep 4, '13 4:52pm PST 
I have 2 chihuahuas also and think you are doing exactly the right thing. Confining them to the bathroom while you are gone means they are safe from harm. They have each other, a bed, water and their litter box. I wouldn't change a thing.
[notify]
Olivia

Barked: Fri Sep 6, '13 4:43pm PST 
Thanks guys! I was worried before, but now I feel much better about the situation. Thanks again for offering words of affirment.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 8:04am PST 
Bumping to drown the spambots
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2