GO!

Anyone else have a Cavachon?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Austin Belle

The Drama Queen

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 1:10pm PST 
I'm curious who here has a Cavachon (bichon and Cav King Charles mix). We stumbled across this "breed" when we were looking for a new puppy. Austin is now seven months old and always making us laugh.blue dog
[notify]
Reka

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:18am PST 
I really hate to rain on your parade. But you aren't likely to find them. They are NOT a breed. They are a mixed breed. AKA mutt. Someone thought up a fancy name, and perhaps even gave faked papers in order to trade it for bucks.

Nothing wrong with mutts. But I'd rather see people adopting them from the pound, instead of exploiting them in puppy mills and creating suffering.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 4:16am PST 
I hate to rain on YOUR parade, but most 'pure breeds' have at some time or other been bred with another to look a certain way. Over time, these 'mixed breeds' have become 'pure breds'. Not sure calling someones much loved dog a mutt was the most sensitive move or well thought out. By the way, this is my first visit to this site and yours was the first comment I came across! big grin
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 4:17am PST 
I hate to rain on YOUR parade, but most 'pure breeds' have at some time or other been bred with another to look a certain way. Over time, these 'mixed breeds' have become 'pure breds'. Not sure calling someones much loved dog a mutt was the most sensitive move or well thought out. By the way, this is my first visit to this site and yours was the first comment I came across! big grin
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 4:51am PST 
Guest, you will find that most dogster members are passionate about dogs and as such, are totally against the current trend of byb's and millers mixing any and all breeds and giving them a cutesy name and calling them a breed.
When breeding is done with a purpose other than making money, and all pre-breeding health testing on BOTH parents is done and the pups are raised humanely and not removed from their litter at 4 or 5 weeks no one is complaining.
But, designer dogs just so the "breeder" can make a buck is doing a serious disservice to ALL dogs, not just purebred ones.
One just has to visit their local shelter to find any number of mixed breed dogs dying for a home and they can make up their own cutesy breed name and save a life at the same time.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 8:31am PST 
Guest, ALL breeds were developed by selectively crossing dogs with desired traits to fulfill a PURPOSE. Indiscriminate cross breeding to produce designer dogs is counter to the views of most members, many of whom are heavily involved in rescue. Poorly bred puppies cause unimaginable heartache for unsuspecting owners as many of these dogs end up with lifelong behavioral and health issues. NO one should be breeding dogs for money, any good breeder will tell you it's a labor of love, an undertaking born of a passion. People who sell these designer dogs are doing it for money. It's great to see a puppy get a home but the bottom line is that a vast majority of these dogs wind up in shelters because the 'breeder' didn't care enough to screen the buyer, offer the support and produce a healthy, balanced pup.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 1:37pm PST 
There's nothing wrong with mutts or owning a mutt. I've found the only people who seem to take offense to the term are those who bought a "designer dog".

As others have said, it's the way and the reason these dogs are bred that is the problem. Breeding for money, no health tests on the parents, often keeping the dogs in poor conditions, breeding females too often/too young, ect. The exact same thing happens with purebreds all the time, minus the cutesy name, and it's just as bad, imo. Education is key, as many people don't realize the practices they're supporting by buying those dogs, designer or pure.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 5:07pm PST 
"but most 'pure breeds' have at some time or other been bred with another to look a certain way"

Most purebreds were bred with another to perform a specific function. Good herders were bred to other good herders to produce even better herders. It's the mixed breeds/designer dogs of today that are bred together simply "to look a certain way."
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 7:57am PST 
The "designer" dog thing has been hashed out many times on this site and i think we all know what we think/feel about the subject so i don't see the point in bringing it up here. I'm sure Austin Belle knows it's not a real breed hence their quotations around the word "breed" way to go

Everyone has commented on the name, but yet no one has welcomed the new member and their CUTE little dog!

So welcome Austin Belle.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 11:03am PST 
My apologies. Missy you are correct.
welcomeAustin Belle. You really are a cutie.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3