GO!

adopting 2yr old chihuahua anything i should look for?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:06pm PST 
hi im adopting a 2yr old male chihuahua and all the owner told me was he is a friendly dog and is potty trained with all shots utd. off craigslist i did ask about who he is as a dog but that was the responce i got.its not for profit adoption as im only paying 30 bucks i assume they want to get rid of him asap. seems like a nice lady though. ive seen pics of the dog he looks to be in good health. ive never adopted an adult dog before anything i should know?????
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:38pm PST 
I would have asked why they were looking to re home. My motto for anything like that is "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" People don't always tell the truth when re homing animals. If they did , count yourself luckysmile My Chi is an alert barker, which can be very annoyingnaughty Good thing I love her anywaycloud 9 Best of luck and welcome
[notify]
Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 8:13pm PST 
If the dog is crossing state lines to be re-homed...paperwork proving vaccinations is should be present.

If they are truly concerned about finding a good home...they should be asking questions too (IMO).

Ask about how the chi signals you to go potty. What food is the chi currently on? how many times a day do they feed?

Ask about the dogs typical daily schedule...so you can transition the dog more smoothly. Adult dogs like their routine and it can be very upsetting to them when its drastically changed.

I find it take a good two weeks to a month (depending on the dog) for a dog to start feeling comfortable enough to show their "true colors."

Chihuahua's are cuties...Tell us how it goes.
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 8:39pm PST 
Fritz was 5 when I took him in, he had been passed around to two other owners before I got him. It took him about 6 months to become, "my dog" before that he was a polite guest, a visitor at least that is how he acted.

He was re-homed due to extreme behavior, separation anxiety.....The reality was that he was not exercised, spent a lot of time alone in his crate. (so much that he would end up peeing on himself when he couldn't hold it any more. )and had no company. I found out he had been on behavior drugs when we tracked down his old vet.

Friends, attention and space to run fixed all of his problems. No medication, special training.....just being treated like a well loved dog solved his problems.

Anyway, I guess what I am saying is that the person getting rid of the dog may be the problem, not the dog and an adult may take time to trust you and decide he is your best friend.

Good Luck.

PS being prepared for the worst isn't a bad idea, just don't expect it.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 5:39am PST 
Meet the dog and spend some time with him before you agree to take him.

Adopting a dog sight unseen is rarely a good idea. I did it with Ember - Her previous owner literally walked into my place of employment, asked if I wanted her or not and if not she was getting dumped elsewhere. I had about 5 minutes to decide. I had 12 years of socializing, training and rescue experience - I knew that I knew nothing about her, and how hard this could be and I still had a hard time getting through those first months.

She was extreme - Dog aggressive, severely reactive, working line energy levels, infested with parasites, infection and emaciated... Most dogs aren't like that. But the point remains that you don't know. What you've found out via Craigslist adds up to nothing. "Up to date on shots" is the mantra irresponsible people love to pull out to make themselves look credible.

"Friendly" and "potty trained" are relative terms, pretty subject to personal interpretation. Many people have no idea if their dog is actually friendly or not. Maybe he is friendly with them and only them, but since they never leave the house they've never seen him try to take a bite out of a stranger. Ember's owner told me over and over how much she loved other dogs and wanted me to let her into the group of small dogs I was supervising at the time. Ember had loved her Husky brother - she had never even seen a small dog and indeed, later tried to kill the first one she saw.

Other people are outright lying.

The only way to know for sure is to meet him - and even then, as has been pointed out, you still won't see his true colors for a couple months. 2 weeks to start to settle and adjust, 4 - 6 weeks to start to feel comfortable, 4 - 6 months to feel at home. Expect behavioral changes at each marker - for better or for worse. Some dogs are on their best behavior at first because they're afraid of getting in trouble, others act out because they've given up on life.

If you can't meet him, ask lots of very specific questions that can NOT be answered with "yes" or "no." For example, "When was the last time he met another dog? What kind of dog was it? How did he react to the new dog? How many children has he met? What did he think of them?"

By cycling through a lot of these types of questions on a range of topics (and it doesn't hurt to ask the same question different ways), you can start to pick out inconsistencies if the person is lying to you. You can also figure out really quick if they have any idea who their dog is. I knew Ember was unsocialized with other dogs because when I asked her owner, "How does she act with other dogs?" she answered, "Great! She loves playing with her brother! They would play all day!" Her previous owner didn't even recognize dogs outside of her brother, which told me quite accurately that there were not any.

Most importantly, if this seems fishy or you have a bad feeling about what you're getting into, don't do it. There are thousands of dogs in need of a home, ASAP. It's hard to walk away, but this doesn't have to be the one.

ETA: I always say, every dog up for adoption was given up for a reason. Your job as a potential adopter is to figure out what that reason is, and if it's compatible with your life. Ember's reason was that she was a working dog no one had any interest in. That's fine, because I wanted a working a dog.

If you find yourself feeling like you need more guidance, contact rescue groups or look up local dog trainers. You'll have to evaluate them too, but they can likely help you. When I was working as a trainer, we used to welcome people who didn't have a dog yet to hang around and get a better feel for working with rescue dogs or puppies, and what certain breeds were typically like.

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '13 5:49am PST

[notify]
Hershey

Bark it Loud &- Proud!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 1:23pm PST 
Hershey was given up because, "He was too high energy" at 8 months of age. Duh. Example of someone not doing their research on the breed or knowing anything about K9 developmental stages.

He fits great into my pack o'poodles.
[notify]