GO!

Good treats for training for small dogs?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Trooper

I'm such a- little trooper!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 11:42am PST 
I'm picking up my min pin puppy tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good treats for small dogs. I know there's like a million choices out there, and I want something that's good for him that I can use as a reward while I work on training him.

Any suggestions?
[notify]
Huckleberry

The opposite of- cross-eyed.

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 2:53pm PST 
Hi there!

Huckleberry weighs 11 lbs and I tend to have to cut up all of his training treats into smaller pieces, even the ones that are made for small dogs.

The ones I use that are easy to cut up are Cloud Star Tricky Trainers, Wild Side Freeze Dried Salmon, Mini Yumzies, and Zukes Mini Naturals. My vet sells a great one called Lean Treats, they are about the size of a grape and are very soft. I can usually take one Lean Treat on a training walk and pull tiny specks off as we go. Huck thinks he is eating steak!

Wet Noses Little Stars Organic Training Treats are crunchy and are small enough so that they don't need to be cut up, and I usually give Huck a little less dinner when we use those.

I think all of the ones I listed are corn, wheat and soy free, but not 100% positive of that.
[notify]
Huckleberry

The opposite of- cross-eyed.

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 2:54pm PST 
Also, congratulations on your new pupsmile Trooper is adorable!!!!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 3:39am PST 
You can try a piece of small chicken or a tiny treat the size of a time.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 11:42am PST 
Zukes minis are good and they're low fat, so there's a lesser chance of them gaining weight off of them. I cut them in half to get more out of them. I use the squares too and get about 9 pieces out of them when I cut them up.

I've also used Pet Botanics and BilJac's Little Jacs treats (BilJac is kind of "junk food" though, but the size and moisture was perfect).

There are also those food rolls that you can cut up into whatever size you prefer.
[notify]
Pookie

plush destroyer

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 3:08pm PST 
I like to buy the food rolls at Petsmart because they are easy to cut into small pieces.. Not the Natural Balance rolls - they have sugar. Not the refrigerated ones, they're too moist. I forgot what it's called... You can also cut Zuke's Mini's into small pieces.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 9:12pm PST 
We all know that Small dogs may seem like toys, but they need to have obedience training just like larger dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 11:24am PST 
I haven't met a dog that doesn't love pig heart roasted in it's own juices. Ideally, you want it cubed no bigger than the size of your finger nail. If you're doing a lot of training, you can cut back on his meals to take his training food into account. You can also cook the heart in your oven at 200 degrees for a couple of hours to dehydrate it.
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 8:56am PST 
I like the Nutro crunchy treats in apple for my dogs. Not only do they like it, but they are healthy also.
[notify]