GO!

Snowsuit for winter walks?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 5:39pm PST 
Remy and I are going to be upping our winter walks this year, so I'm trying to figure out if he has the right gear. He has sweaters and I"m looking to get him a fleece jacket that will cover his front legs, but I'm wondering if he needs something for his back legs too? He's fairly furry on his back, though it thinned out this summer quite a bit, but his lets are pretty bare. We'll probably be walking for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours in weather down to 20 degrees. Do dogs need their legs covered too or does walking keep them enough?
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 5:57pm PST 
If dogs are anything like people, then I would think he would be fine with what you have. We hike the White Mountains. Unless it's "Freeze Your Face Off Cold", we end up taking some of our layers of clothes off, because we get too hot. So, if you take long walks in the winter and they are at a brisk pace, then he should be fine.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 8:24pm PST 
I recommend two places-Baxter Boo for sweaters and Lands End makes a beautiful well made dog jacket. It gets pretty cold here in the winter and I just layer sweaters and jacket for the really cold days. I think their legs are okay and obviously you can't bundle up their bottom too much or they won't be able to do their businesssmile
[notify]

Dennis- FDCH-S,- TFIII

I love agility- and flyball!

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 8:55pm PST 
You can find great winter coats of all styles here: http://www.k9topcoat.com/

We have the polarfleece bodysuit one.
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 10:05pm PST 
I would second the recommendation of K9 Top Coat, they have good stuff. Other snowsuits I've seen seemed like they'd restrict the dog's movement, but K9 Topcoat brand ones are made well.
That said you may not need it, depending how long you will be out. I usually just use a good warm coat that keeps the body warm. If your dog has fluffy legs they might need it more if it's snowy because snow can get built up in the coat depending on the type of fur... I'm planning to get a powderpuff Chinese Crested at some point so I'll probably get one that covers the legs because of the "furnishings" they have on the legs (long fur).
[notify]
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:00am PST 
Sigh. I did NOT need to know about all the adorable sweaters at BaxterBoos. Poor Remy, guess what he's getting for Christmas.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 12:27pm PST 
Pomeranians are well adapted for winter climates. He would be more comfortable with out one IMO. These dogs originate from sled dog breeds. He has a heavy double coat. Putting a coat on a Pom is like putting one on a husky.

Booties would not be a bad idea since sidewalks are often salted and treated with paw irritating ice melters.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 6:43am PST 
You should definitely get a pair of good booties. Nick could stay out in the snow all day, but his feet get cold really quickly. The booties more than anything allow him to stay out longer and have more fun. We've tried a couple different kinds, but the kind that worked the best for us zipped up the front and had a velcro strap at the top. I think they are Pet Life brand, but I'm not sure. Here is what they look like, though
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 7:04am PST 
I grow Jewel long in the winter and put boots on her. Once she reaches a certain lenght she'll try to shake off her coat because she's too hot and seriously it gets WAY colder where I live. The first winter I had her we had -40c without the windchill and she didn't want a coat.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 11:48am PST 
Gotta agree that a full-coated Pom should do just fine in almost all winter weather walking outside. Probably will get overheated with a snowsuit. Maybe just booties if it's icy, but really you likely won't even need a coat most days.

I hike in all weather with my terrier poodle mix, never once put a coat on her even in minus 10, she'd get too hot. A dog's normal temp is 100.5 to 102.5, I checked after that walk to be sure and she was right at 101F.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2