GO!

Sweaters/Clothing for Small Dogs

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bambi

Yes, I'm a boy,- just like the- deer!

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 5:17pm PST 
Okay, so I know a lot of people like to put clothes on their dogs, particularly the small ones. Since I have only had long haired Chihuahuas, it never made sense for me to put clothes on them. They would get too hot, start panting, and generally look uncomfortable. Now I have Bambi. Right now, as I am typing this, he is sleeping under a blanket and snuggled next to me. A blanket that I got out because he was shivering before. Daisy on the other hand is sitting all by herself and looks quite content. I am going to attest this to lack of fur on Bambi's part.
So, I have 3 sweaters that were bought ages ago (like in 1999) by my mother for some other dog, as well as a waterproof jacket.
My question is, does anyone else HAVE to dress up their dog to prevent them from getting too cold? If so, what clothing do you like and (if allowed) where do you prefer to get said clothing? I don't want to spend too much because he tends to chew things, but hopefully he is growing out of that!
[notify]
Miss- Scarlett

Pick me- up...please!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 1:04am PST 
wave Miss Scarlett won't go outside in bad weather without a coat or sweater. If she could put them on herself...she would. As it is...she practically jumps into her sweater when the weather turns.

When we hike (my 2 Standard poodles, 1 mini and 2 Toy) if she gets too hot or too cold...she disappears on me...only to find her back at the car...waiting for us fools to figure out we really shouldn't be out in such uncomfortable weather laugh out loud

However, since I started layering her winter gear...she stays with the pack and doesn't make me freak out. Sweater first then a wind break...depending on how cold it is. Sumo gets geared up for winter weather too...the rest do fine but the little ones need the extra protection.

I don't have any one spot I buy from. We are involved in Agility and many dog shows have vendors with specialty items...clothing being one of them. If I see something that will work for our weather conditions...I buy it.

Clothing for my two little ones is more of practicality than for fashion sake. Winter can be brutal here. Sounds like you have a similar situation. You do what you need to do to keep your Bambi safe and warm...don't mind the comments that will come from folks who don't have small dogs...small dogs who need the extra protection. way to go
[notify]
Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 11:01am PST 
Paris gets chilly very easily in the winter. The PetSmart clearance clothing rack has some pretty good deals on it. It's about the only thing I buy there these days laugh out loud My mom has also bought clothing at Marshalls and Burlington Coat Factory if you have any of those near you. We have a new store called Ross that also has cheap doggy clothes. These are all discount designer clothing/housewares type places.

She has sweaters, a pair of jammies, light jackets for fall, heavy coats for winter, boots for snow, raincoat

Edited by author Thu Aug 30, '12 11:12am PST

[notify]

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 7:50am PST 
You know, dogs are funny about being dressed. Taggert will shiver and curl up if he is cold, but if you put a sweater on him, he looks at you like you've beaten him and thrown him in a lake. And he still shivers.

Foxxy actually asks to have clothes put on. She loves being dressed and adored as long as you don't put anything on that covers her head or feet. She's a princess superstar fashion model.
[notify]
Bambi

Yes, I'm a boy,- just like the- deer!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 10:25am PST 
Thanks everyone! I got him a XXS t-shirt for around the house and get this, I still had to take it in on the sides so it wouldn't fall off of him! lol. I have found with him that a tag in the clothes is very annoying for him, and manufacturers of dog clothes seem to not care and make them terribly difficult to remove. naughty Thankfully I have mad sewing skills. That, and he fits rather well into men's socks with a few holes cut out for the legs and whatnot.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 12:54pm PST 
Yeah my last foster Chi was always cold. When I took her with us to the lake she thought I took her there to die. She was pretty much comatose in a sweater, wrapped in a blanket in from of the fireplace for the first two days. The only time she was happy was if (still wrapped in her own blanket) Jewel and I both cuddled her with another blanket.

My friend has a chi mix and sews so we just borrowed sweaters from her for my freezing foster.

Jewel loves boots.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 5:51pm PST 
I knit for mine. Since socks fit chihuahuas rather well, I can knit all sorts of sweaters out of modified sock patterns. If I can get taggert to wear them without pouting.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 7:02pm PST 
My friend has 5 dogs, 3 of which are small, and they have an entire wardrobe. She works at pet's mart, so her dogs get a lot of stuff that way, but she and her mom make all different kinds of clothes for their dogs. smile
[notify]
Barney

Design jewelry,- not dogs!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 8:22pm PST 
Obviously, my two hairless boys need clothes in N H Winters. They have fleece jump suits made by a crested person in Canada. They fit well, are warm and don't break the bank. If you scroll thru the photo albums you can see them wearing them.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 3:59pm PST 
I dont have 2 large dogs and put sweaters on them when going outside in the winter. They each have a sweater and a coat for the cold weather. way to go Like the others said the Petsmart clearance rack is where i bought all the sweaters so far. This year i think im going to order from the Dr. Fosters and Smith magazine along with Kashmir's new dog bed for Xmas.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3