GO!

Frustration

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Chico

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 7:24pm PST 
Lol If I'm ever facing the situation of living in my car or living in a place where dogs are not allowed, then I would gladly live in my car with my dog.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 3:32am PST 
Lol I am with you, Chico...my car is big enough for me, Angel, & Tia to sleep in.

I can understand military issues...that's completely different. I am talking about a guy that chose to move in with someone that just didn't want a dog. I don't understand why you'd do that.

If I ever had to move, yes I would be in a hard spot because of Angel and Tia, but they are coming with me wherever I go. I understand that times are hard but so many dogs and cats get left behind as if they're unimportant.

And to the Craigslist people...man that ticks me off...I want to email them and ask why they are just now posting an ad when the dog has to be gone in 1 day! That doesn't make sense at all!

Angel came from a situation where her owner didn't get her mom fixed and allowed an intact male into the house. BTW pits weren't allowed at the place either. Luckily Angel and one other pit were given good homes, but the rest were apparently taken to a shelter.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 11:26am PST 
Honestly, just a matter of priorities.....
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 1:12pm PST 
It's easy to say "just live out of your car!" if you don't have children. And yeah, it's a game of priorities, but there are some serious, serious issues that come into play there. Many of the dogs I've seen come into rescue are from families where one or both parents lost their job, then their house, and they MUST have somewhere to go. Should they let DCF take their children so they don't have to rehome their dog?

It's also easy to say live out of your car if you've never done it. The logistics of actually living out of a car are impossible for many people. I would have difficulty living out my car right now - it's 90 degrees outside. I'd have to spend all daylight hours parked at the only dog-friendly park in the area, sitting outside in the shade. If I didn't have a job, I would not be able to search for one without finding a place for her to stay during the day, because she would not be able to stay in the car. As if that wasn't hard enough, in a few short months it will below freezing outside. Without cold weather survival gear, I would face hypothermia sleeping in my car. In my specific case, it wouldn't matter for the dogs but if I had, say, a Viszla or Chihuahua...

What does severely complicate my personal situation dog-wise is that my dogs can not be together. Even if I did decide to live out of my car, I still have to place one dog.

Then there's quality of rental... I did reject a few dog-friendly apartments because I was quite literally afraid my apartment would be robbed or I would be mugged in the neighborhood. Again, I was lucky I had the time to pass over those apartments. If I had to be out immediately, I would have been making a choice of personal safety versus keeping my dogs. That's not something to take lightly.

Even foregoing those first few apartments, the actual building we are renting is of no higher quality than any of them - it's only the neighborhood that's better. I have gone to make breakfast and found my silverware drawers full of mouse poop. When I told the landlord, she told me to put my dogs outside so she could poison the building. This was the night before hurricane Irene. We have electrical problems the landlord refuses to acknowledge or address - again, I'm lucky I can take my dogs to work, because I fear daily I will return to a smoking pile of rubble. The bottom of our sink falls out and floods the kitchen on a regular basis, as well as the apartment below ours. This summer, our lawn became so overgrown a family of skunks moved in. Complaints have been filed with the state, but it takes months to actually enforce anything. This is what I deal with, and more, because I wanted to keep my dogs.

Sure, we could "just move," but we'd be moving into the same situation in a different location. Or paying thousands a month for an upscale rental, which is flat-out not an option. Thankfully, we are getting out in a month.

I don't understand leaving a dog "just because" and I doubt anyone here does. But renting with a dog is hell - IF it's even logistically possible. I bring it up every time I talk to a young person who wants a dog. There are horrible choices to make and I don't judge anyone who can't find a way to make it work.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 10:47pm PST 
Yes but this isn't one of those scenarios Ember. It would be understandable if it was...but I am talking about people that don't try at all. I'm not saying anyone's kids be taken away because you fall on hard times. I'm just talking about people that don't try at all or don't care. I don't know about other places, but there are hotels around here that rent by the week/month where pets are allowed...so if I ever did have to move out, I'd be at one of those hotels.

Edited by author Fri Aug 17, '12 10:57pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 5:40pm PST 
Sadly, most of us with dogs live hand to mouth anyway, so renting a hotel would most likely NOT be an option for me. I HAVE a job, and I am my own boss, EXCEPT, I pay rent on the kennel building as well as on my house.
God forbid I get injured or sick and can't work in the kennel... not only would I lose my job but I would also lose my home, since times are rough right now and I am the only groomer here, plus my four employee's ALL have other part time jobs as well as their work here and therefore I would be unable to keep the kennel and grooming up and running.
While I am able to make it in this job so far, I surely am not able to put anything away and, sadly, there isn't much resale value in tools used in the dog industry. I would most certainly end up having to place the majority of my dogs if not all of them and that thought scares me every single day now that I am actually at "retirement" age. Obviously, I am unable to retire, so it is pretty frightening!!!
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 9:20pm PST 
I understand living hand to mouth, as that is my current situation. Always trying to find a way to make things a little easier.
[notify]
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 5:16am PST 
I've often felt this way, too -- but then I realize I'm coming from a position of fortunate circumstances. I have choice.

It's nice to have a back-up plan just in case something ever happens to you -- whether it be you losing your job, your home, or your ability to care for an animal. I would seek out temporary care first, but if it came down to it, what would you do if you were put into a situation where you *had* to give up your animal? It's not always about choice. We live in shaky times. Dogs get through it just as we do.

The truth is, dogs are adaptable. They have grown up beside us throughout our evolution. My dog lives with me in our city apartment and there's more concrete than grass -- I'd like to provide more for her, but she doesn't think about what she doesn't have. She is happy where she is being taken care of.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 3:32pm PST 
If you fall on hard times, as I have with losing an awesome job, having utilities turned off, etc, then TEMPORARILY having your dog stay somewhere else wouldn't be so bad. The person I am talking about moved in with someone that hated dogs. LOL I don't think I could be friends with someone that hated dogs!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2