GO!

Frustration

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 1:31am PST 
I am posting this in the Small Dogs forum because it's about a "Small Dog."

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people would move somewhere that their dog/cat was not allowed. I have a friend that is leaving his mini poodle at his mother's house because he's moving to a place where she wouldn't be allowed. He also said he has a roommate. naughty

If I ever had to move, my pets are coming with me. Whatever roommate I might have would have to deal with it or leave. But that's just my opinion.shrug
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 3:03pm PST 
It really, really depends on the situation.

With the economy being what it is, foreclosures are happening at an alarming rate. The rental market is completely over saturated with dog owners, and non-dog owners. With so many potential tenants to choose from, landlords are able to pick whoever they want and unlike with human children, there is no law against discriminating against pet owners. Homeowners insurance does not help this any, often blacklisting dogs period from renters. Having a roommate or not has no bearing on any of this.

It took me 3 months to find a rental that would accept my dogs, and that was 2 years ago - and it turned out to be a complete poo-hole of an apartment. Even then, my building no longer accepts pets at all. We're grandfathered in for now, and probably going to be evicted anyway either for that or the landlords financial woes (or both).

I was lucky I had 3 months to look. Lucky that I am gainfully employed and could pay the dog deposits and extra fees. Lucky that I could pay rent at all, really, since most places it's now higher than a mortgage payment, and so lucky I could choose where I lived at all.

Yeah, there are people who don't try at all. That I will never understand. But on the other hand, it is HARD to rent with animals and getting worse all the time. For many people, it is impossible and I would be grateful to have family who could look after the animals until the situation improved.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 3:48pm PST 
If they don't even try, then yeah I agree.
However, my current situation forced me to change my views on it 'always' being bad or wrong. I was offered a job in a small town an hour away from here, and having been out of work all summer, I accepted. I have to move in 1-2 weeks (we start working next week, and though it is only an hour away, I can't keep commuting and I am going to have a room mate). ALL the places I have found do not allow ANY pets, forget say a cat or a small dog, much less my 50 lb dog...no place would accept my rabbit so my sister is taking care of him. I contacted the largest rental place in the town and asked if they had anything that would allow Twister. They are contacting a duplex owner to see if he will let me bring him, but there are no promises and it is my last option; if not, my dad is going to let him stay at his property until I can move to a place that allows pets (would prefer a house). Sometimes you are forced to make the choice to leave them behind no matter how much you hate it, that doesn't mean I'm getting rid of my animals though.
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 1:36am PST 
I'll be honest... situation or not... I've ALWAYS found a way to keep my dog, even with the economy and the rentals being the way they've gotten. I even went homeless(couch surfing with family and friends places) until I could find a pet friendly place because THAT is how much it means to me to have my dog. He's the reason I have so few panic attacks. He is the reason I'm much more emotionally stable than I once was. If I didn't have him around, or had to rehome him or even have him temporarily stay elsewhere, I'd have a complete mental breakdown. And I hate that I rely on him so much, but at the same time, for me, it feels safer to rely on my dog, than on a person or myself. At this point, he might as well be an ESA with how much he does for me emotionally and mentally - I could NOT get out of bed without my dog being here.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 7:54am PST 
When I joined the military, I left my Rottie with my parents because as a single soldier you had to live in a barracks and you couldn't have pets. My parents had another Rottie and both of them got along great and loved each other. I continued to pay for pet insurance for both dogs so their shots and wellness exams were paid for and I signed a bunch of blank checks and left them with my parents for food or grooming. After i got out of the military and gotten married I still didn't get her back because she'd been with my parents for several yrs. it wasn't till their dog got cancer and passed away that I finally brought her back home to live with us when she was 8 yrs old.

I know it's even harder on military families now then it was before to move with their pets. The housing on post are run by private contractors now and they have several breed restrictions. One of my friends had to leave their dog with her brother when her husband got stationed in Hawaii because she had a Rottie/lab mix and rotts are banned on post. She tried looking for off post housing but couldn't find any.

There are several reasons people can't take their pets with them and they shouldn't be looked down on for it when they end up rehoming them. I currently have a toy poodle I got off Craigslist because the previous owners couldnt afford the $1000.00 deposit to be able to keep him. They still keep in touch to check on him and see how he's doing. I don't think poorly of them because I ended up with a great dog and I understand when you have 2 kids, your priorities are going to be them. Theres no way I'd go homeless with my two kids and husband because of our dogs. I love them but I have to think what's best for my kids first. I wouldn't dump my dogs in a shelter either. I'd make sure I could find them a loving home before I moved or find friends or family to keep them till I could find a place that would eventually take us all.

Now all that being said, it does frustrate me when I read ads on Craigslist saying that they are moving and can't take their pet and they just posted the ad that day and if no one gets them by tomorrow then they'll take their beloved pet to the shelter. Oh yeah, and then they demand a $100 adoption fee or something.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 9:17am PST 
Well said, Ember Twister and Sarge. You really can't judge till you know the extent of the individual situation. Sadly we will have to leave our cat with a very good family friend when I move to Texas for school this winter. My mom has had ongoing health problems her entire life and the last 4 years have been the worst, fighting 2 cancers. In fact she just went in for a body scan last week to make sure she is still in remission from her thyroid cancer from 2008. Within these last 4 years, my mom has fallen 5 or 6 times and unfortunately she's not gonna get better. My parents are not young anymore and they have gotten to the point where they will need to sell the house and move to a retirement community. Unfortunately we do not have pet friendly retirement condos in Markham. My parents looked and looked everywhere. As many differences as my mom and I have, I don't think she should be judged for doing what she has to do for her own health and safety and well being. Jellybean is my mom's baby. She is the reason we got her. I know she will have no regrets whatsoever leaving her with our friend, but I know she'll be very depressed without her. When my parents adopted Jellybean in 2005, how were we to know that my mom would become so ill in 2008? At least your friend is leaving the poodle with his mother who will most likely take good care of it. I do see what the others are saying though about people posting ads on CL saying they can't take the dog with them to where they're going the day of. That to me is frustrating.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 9:45am PST 
hug to all who have had to leave a pet behind, temporary or not. My heart hurts just thinking about it. hug
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 3:01pm PST 
I see stuff like this a lot "how could anyone?!. . . " I couldn't, but I'm lucky enough to be able to afford that luxury. It's a given, anywhere, that you get less for your rent dollars in a pet friendly building, in addition to the extra deposit. Obviously it is well worth it to me, but if someone only has $400 a month or whatever to spend, they may truly not be able to find a pet friendly place.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 4:37pm PST 
Thats the reason why I havent moved out yet because of my dog. We stil live at home with my parents and my dog Zoe. There are places around i could move to, but right now theres no need. I work full time and go to school full time starting fall. If i moved out it wouldnt be fair to her because i would never be home. When i move out i do plan on taking my dog with me. I would look high and low to find a place that would accept her. Around me there are a few options but not much. If it came down to it and i couldnt take Kashmir with me, she would stay with my parents as they would care for her. I already talked it over with my mom and she doesnt mind. It does bother me when people dont at least make an effort to try and take their pet. naughty
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 5:11am PST 
I had to leave my kitties behind when I moved out from home, it was so sad. frown With JT I always make sure I get pet approval before moving into a new rental. It can be harder to find a place but for me there really isn't any option, I just could not give him up. If worst came to worst.I would take him to my mum's but I just could never rehome him. The thought makes me wanna cry.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2