GO!

Nails?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Jezabel- (Jezzie)

The Tiny One

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 12:05am PST 
That would actually make sense... and I son't know why I never thought of it myself frown
I know a bit of her history-- she came into this world intentionally by some meanie who thought to make the Chihuahua a hardier dog by mixing it with Min Pin-- and calling them "Yard Chihuahuas". Jezabel (Formerly Pixie) and her sister Trixie were both owned by the same man and he left them in their back yard for almost 2 years. He finally surrendered them to a high kill shelter. From there, she was transported to a foster home.. and after several months there, I became aware of her and fell in love laugh out loud About 2 weeks later, she was transported here (GA) from Long Island, NY. Her foster couldn't trim her nails on her own-- what with the biting... shrug So I am stuck with it. I knew they were long, but I didn't know how bad until she was home.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 7:53am PST 
My current foster was found stray and by the time she got to me her back nails were long enough that I was worried they were causing her "hop" style of walking.

I did half the nails in the morning and half the nails later in the day, got a few scratches but I felt they HAD to be done.

I'm sure it will be easier on both of you to get someone else to do it. way to go
[notify]
Prada

Are you sure its- not all about- me??

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 12:29am PST 
It is so sad that there are people that will breed for unmentionable reason. Prada was a puppy mill rescue that was raised in a cage only to breed when she came of age. In that time her nails grew and so she broke her leg when it apparently got caught in the cage and they never did anything with it but let it heal. She has a deformity from the neglect and has a limp that is worse at times than others, but she has had an amazing "recovery" and is a very well adjusted dog with people, her bed, and all situations!!

let us know how things go!!!
[notify]

Georgie, CGC

Where's the- fun!! Let's- play now!!

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 7:12am PST 
I have two Min Pins, both since they were puppies. Never used to have a problem with nail clipping but my male Min Pin cries and snaps now and makes the worst noises. My husband holds him and I clip a little bit and then use a Pedi paws. He does a little better with the pedi paws. He hates regular grinders but the pedi paws must be a little quieter. It is still a 2 person job and I get nipped sometimes but it is just a stop it nip. He is not biting hard but we try to make sure he doesn't get a chance to bite.

I am afraid of cutting black nails too deep so would start with a vet until it gets to a good point where the nails are not so long.

I asked the Vet why he behaves worse at the vet and with nail clipping than when he was younger and he just said that they learn the do not like it.

Your dog may also have had some nail clippings where they cut too much off and that hurts or just having such long nails are painful.
[notify]
Jezabel- (Jezzie)

The Tiny One

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 5:09pm PST 
Well, we have an appointment for later this week for our vet to see her and do her nails! smile Will update when we have it done!
[notify]
Henry

See my butt??- Let's be- friends!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 5:12pm PST 
Hello! I'm new here (first post, actually), but my Pomeranian/Chihuahua mixed puppy has the same issue. His nails have never been outrageously long, but he HATES getting them clipped. I play with his feet all the time too, and he still turns wild whenever we try to clip them. The vet needed three people to do it and the groomer had to get her assistant to help.

I've heard this is a common problem with Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes - the groomer said that playing with the feet is good, but if you do it roughly it can make the problem worse. She said her own Chi is so bad she and her husband have to muzzle him to get the job done! I really hope it doesn't come to that.
[notify]
Chester

The Talker!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 9:19am PST 
When my uncle got his older dog from rescue, that was one of her main problems, besides the skin disease and bad teeth. What we found was that as the nail had been allowed to go for so long, the quick had grown further out into the nail, and cutting them shorter would cut into the quick and cause pain and bleeding.

Their vet advised them to have someone else do it, number one, so she wouldn't associate the discomfort with them. Then he advised that they have them cut tiny amounts once a week. Any more than that would hit the quick, and the week in between would allow the quick to shrink as the nail was slowly cut back. And walk her on pavement as much as you can, that will naturally wear them back.

It too almost 3 months, and they never did get her nail as short as you would normally, but they did get them cut back.

Take it slow and careful, don't do anything to harm the trust you're trying to build with her. What harm would it do to wait a few months? She's had them this long for a long while, so what's a few more weeks, if it means the difference between her trusting you, or not trusting?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2