GO!

Nails?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jezabel- (Jezzie)

The Tiny One

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '12 11:17am PST 
We got our rescue girl Jezzie home safe and sound on June 3rd. Since that time, we have been working on bonding (She's 2 1/2 years old, and was previously abused) and getting her to trust us. She is healthy overall but her nails are WAY too long. The problem is, if you touch her feet--- hold them, to get the nails, she starts screaming and biting. I am going to try wrapping her in a towel later and having my husband hold her still while I get her nails, but I was wondering if anyone else had any tips or tricks?

Edited by author Wed Jun 13, '12 11:18am PST

[notify]
Jezabel- (Jezzie)

The Tiny One

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 9:42am PST 
Bump...
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 10:31am PST 
I have to admit that when the nails are crazy long I just power through the first clipping and then do all the slow desensitization from then on.

If possible you might want to take her to a groomer or vet to get the first clipping done, it might be tramatic and you don't want her to associate that with you. It will make the desensitization easier if she doesn't!
[notify]

Prada

Are you sure its- not all about- me??

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 5:49pm PST 
I had a problem with Prada and her nails when she first came to live with us. Prada, is also a rescue from an abusive situation. In our situation all it took was taking my time and really talking with her and reassuring her with calm tones while I was working on her nails. It was just me so I wrapped her snuggle in a blanket and held her and talked quietly. I patted and messed with her feet a lot while not trying to take care of nails also before jumping into the nails situation when I saw she was resistant. Something I am sure you already know is that they are much easier to work with following a bath, I know it helps Prada.

I also agree with the other response, if they are seriously over grown, go the the groomer or your vet and get them to tackle the hard job away from your presence so that it is not a barrier in your relationship.

Well this is just my two cents worth, if it is even worth that puppy

Blessings,
Prada's Mom
[notify]
Murphy

Did someone say- COOKIE?

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 6:46pm PST 
I would agree with the others. If you need a nail trim soon talk to your vet about it. If you have a serious fear of nail trims some really light sedation may even be needed. As your new mom probably knows it can take a long time for us fur babies to overcome our nail fears. Good luck and enjoy your new awesome home. smile
[notify]
Jezabel- (Jezzie)

The Tiny One

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 7:52pm PST 
Thanks everyone! I think we will try a groomer-- they are super long nails... longer than I have ever dealt with on any dog shrug I don't know what the shelter (or foster) was thinking, not cutting them in so long. I am working on desensitizing her.... and she is letting me handle her feet a bit more, but she still reacts with screaming and biting if I try to hold her feet in my hand-- or touch her nails. frown
I think it's going to be a long process.
[notify]
ROSCOE

The World Is My- Playground

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 8:15pm PST 
She sounds terrified so I would suggest having a vet do it as they will probably have to be done in stages because of bleeding . The vet can sedate her and cut them all the way back and then you can work on gaining her trust as she won't associate it with you.
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 8:20pm PST 
I would think if they are that long that maybe they are bothering her. Especially when she walks on them. Getting them done by someone else is a good idea and maybe she won't act so violently once they are cut.
[notify]
Jezabel- (Jezzie)

The Tiny One

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 8:24pm PST 
Thanks! I think we will call the vet and see if they will do it then... I am so worried about hurting her and making her fear us frown
[notify]
Prada

Are you sure its- not all about- me??

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 9:12pm PST 
I was thinking, if they are that long and neglected by previous owners for a long period of time as it sounds, with her reaction, they may actually be some pain involved and touching is not merely causing fear but more pain. Just a thought thinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2