GO!

Opinions on dog parks...

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 8:07pm PST 
Now that Frankie is a little bit older, and the weather is finally breaking, I am thinking about taking him to a dog park...

The closest one is about half-hour away, but it might be nice for a little treat for Frankie and to get some off-leash exercise and socialization (up until now his dog socialization has been the puppy classes, then the roughly twice-a-week trips to Petco for socialization, and a couple friend and/ or neighbor dogs)

What are your thoughts on dog parks...?
On one hand, I feel it is great, but then I think about the increase level of exposure to ticks (this area in general is high-tick area where the woods are), plus increase chance of flees, and also possible negative reactions to/from another dog. Although Frankie has never shown any agression to another dog, he is the type to want to play-play-play, and sometimes approaching another dog and trying to instigate a play session may not be welcome, and there is not always a growl or warning sign, right..? Plus even a play growl from Frankie may be mis-interpretted by another dog...

I guess it is worth it to at least take him there with the safety of his harness at first and see how this particular dog park is, but I am interested in hearing other people's opinions on dog parks...

Most of the dogs in the neighborhood are large-breed, and most of my friends dogs are large-breed, and it would be nice to have some small-breed dogs for Frankie to play with...I know many large-breed dogs are gentle as a lamb, but sometimes size in itself needs to be considered...thanks!! smile

Edited by author Thu Mar 15, '12 8:11pm PST

[notify]
Kenzie

I'm a Ninja

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 9:07pm PST 
I take my 4 dogs to the dog park all the time - although not at the same time unless another member of my family is with me also. My four are all large dogs, but plenty of people bring their small dogs too. As with most anything, I advise being careful. I don't go when it's really busy and all of my dogs are on Frontline for a flea and tick preventative. Although most of the people that come to the dog park by me are good people with dogs that are good with other dogs, that's not always the case. Just be careful, if you see a dog come in and begin to pick on other dogs, you can always leave or if it's a large park, take your dog on a walk.
[notify]
Gus & Grace

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 9:46pm PST 
Hi Frankie,

I'd suggest visiting the dog park at the time you were thinking of going and just scoping it out for a week or two. If looks okay, take Frankie and walk around it the first time, not in it. See how the dogs react to him and he reacts to them.

I'd also suggest taking him to a dog part that has a separate small dog area.

As for the exposure to fleas and ticks - do you have preventative for Frankie? If the area you live in is a high tick area he should have preventative to keep him safe.

Let us know how things go smile
[notify]

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 9:53pm PST 
Thanks...smile

Oh, he has been on Frontline since he was a baby. But last Fall I took him to a dog walking park (not a play park, but just one with trails..) and even though he was on Frontline, I still found a tick on him the next morning, so I am all the more a little cautious now. But he has never had any fleas (knock on wood), but of course, I want to keep it that way. wink

These are all great suggestions!! smile
Thanks sooo much!!! flowers
[notify]
Bailey

There's nothing- in my mouth, I- swear!

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '12 8:05am PST 
I agree with G&G up there, does the dog park your looking at have a separate area for small dogs? Frankie may be fine with big dogs, and they may be fine with him, but having two Mastiffs running around and wrestling could potentially be dangerous if Frankie gets under their feet.

That being said, if you take him at a time that isn't too busy, it should be alright, especially if it's a wide-open area. Bailey loves the dog-park and get's excited whenever we go (our dog-park has great dogs and people so thats always nice) so I say give it a shot. Good luck!
[notify]
Emma-Gem

I'm the PRINCESS- of the house!

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 12:14pm PST 
Ive been to dog parks and i dont personally like them...espeically if you have a little dog...(unless you can find a dog park for smaller dogs) i find that bigger dogs can be really bullies with the smaller dogs and the owners just don't take any responsiblity for their dogs their just thre to socalize themselfs and they aren't even paying any attention! so if you have a little dog and it's a mixed park i wouldn't do it!!! if you have a medium to large go for it (but make sure your dog is up todate in his rabbies) i've seen dog fights at these parks!) all the best
D and Cinderella
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 12:47pm PST 
It depends on alot of things-
Does the dog park have two different areas for big dogs and little dogs?-I have big dogs and I wouldn't to a dog run that was one big play space.

It depends on the personality of dogs on any given day. Even the teacups can get rowdy even aggressive depending on the mix.

It depends on how social your dog is. With the right bunch of doggies, everyone can play and have social time. Sophie and I go to the local small dog park a few times a week and it's nice for both of us. Callie is still puppy hyper so I just take long walks in the neighborhood with him.

Definitely use Frontline and do regular tick checks though
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 3:42am PST 
My preference is the off-leash dog "walking" park as you called them.

Personally I'm not much of a fan of the small fenced in dog parks.
Too many people take their high energy dogs there as the sole form of exercise. A bunch of dogs with pent up energy and only one way to expel it is a little off-putting to me.

However, for smaller breeds, "less rowdy" dogs, or even dogs that receive proper exercise prior to the park visit, it can be a great experience.

I'm with everyone else on this with the suggestion of going at an off-peak time to get a feel for the place. Ideally there will be a place for small dogs to play, or even a set time for the little dog owners to meet up.

Hope everything works out!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 4:36am PST 
This post has been resurrected from March...
[notify]
Zoe

The- Schnauzinator

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 9:51am PST 
I know this is kinda late, but I just wanted to add that I don't like dog parks. There are a lot of irresponsible dog owners with questionable IQs who think it's a perfectly good idea to take their 89 lb, dog-aggressive or overly rough and rambunctious rottweiler and allow it to go rampaging about without supervision while they talk to their buddies on the phone about the latest who-slept-with-who drama. It only takes one bite (aggressive or accidental) from a big dog to kill a little one. Plus, dogs tend to pick up bad behaviors from other dogs, and I find that a lot of the dogs in dog parks have the manners of rabid demon hell hounds confused

A better way to socialize your dog (regardless of size) is to make friends with people who have well-behaved pooches and have doggie play dates smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2