GO!

Having a strange problem..

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

♥Otis- ♥

Think to the- future, SPAY and- NEUTER!

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '12 9:36pm PST 
My chihuahua, Otis, who I found as a stray 3 months ago, has a weird habit.

He keeps getting on the table, and then jumps off. I try to keep him off of it, and I take him off whenever I catch him on it. But he's very small, and I'm terrified that he's going to break a leg.

Tonight I made the mistake of leaving him in the kitchen/ living room alone for 5 minutes, and I heard him crying, I have never heard him cry like that. So I ran in and he was under the table, and wouldn't put his hind leg down. Thankfully he seems to be fine now, and is walking on it and acting normal.

But I have no idea how to keep him off of it. I keep the chairs pushed in, but he somehow moves them away from the table and sneaks on. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep him off of it? Besides keeping him out of the kitchen?

Thanks,
Lauren
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 10:38am PST 
Put the chairs against the wall, well away from the table or turn them upside down and put on the table.

Make sure there is never anything to eat or play with left on the table. As a temporary measure, you could put athletic mats on the floor to soften his landing.
[notify]
Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 12:47pm PST 
My chis never did this on the dining room table, but the patio table was another story. But at least they would jump from table to chair, back to floor. Jumping from the table probably would have given me a heart attack!
Not sure if this would work, but we actually left a patio chair pulled out for them to use. If the chairs were pushed in, they still managed to get up on the table but would whine for me to come get them down. If the chairs were left out from the table a bit, they jumped from table to chair, and then the short distance to the floor. The patio table and chairs were their favorite place to hang out.
[notify]

♥Otis- ♥

Think to the- future, SPAY and- NEUTER!

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 6:24pm PST 
Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to keep the chairs pulled out from the table, but it seems that keeping him out of the kitchen is easier! He still tries to jump from the chairs. I guess I'll just have to keep a super close eye on him! shrug
[notify]
Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 5:42pm PST 
I know for cats they suggest putting tin foil down because they don't like the texture. Not sure it would work for dogs, though. There's also prickly mats you can you can put over surfaces you don't want pets on. Fosters&Smith sells them I think. You could also baby gate him out when you can't keep an eye on him.

Paris likes to swan dive off of the top of the stairs so I feel your pain!

Edited by author Thu Feb 9, '12 5:45pm PST

[notify]
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 6:58pm PST 
I've never met a Chi who didn't think they could fly! Seriously, they're so small, they just feel safer up high. Then the little poo's get bored up high and want down the quickest way possible. The only thing Penny could jump up on that I have is the couches, so I trained her with treats to use sheepskin covered doggy stairs I bought. She loves them and it saves her knees and back! You must have quite the lil jumper to make it all the way up to the table! Maybe it's your dogs way of saying it's a frustrated circus star? happy dance Good luck! (Watch those lil legs, they do break easily!)
[notify]