GO!

HELP!!! Is this a pedigree Pomeranian?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 1:57pm PST 
I too use the term 'hobby breeder' different than Bella.

Lilith is from a person I'd describe (and who calls herself) a hobby breeder, yet she doesn't only conveniently and cheaply breed with just the studs she owns without regard to whether or not they are actually complementary to one another.., she health tests, she's on the board of directors at the national club, and titles her dogs... thinking
[notify]
Bella

Lap Dog- Extraordinaire!

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 3:26pm PST 
And that's fine if some of you disagree with me. To me, a BYB is one that has several breeds of dogs and/or multiple dogs that is breeding SOLELY for $$. This is their livelihood, so to speak.

To some of you, perhaps 'hobby breeder' and BYB may be synonymous. As someone else in this thread pointed out, a 'pedigree' by itself does not equal 'good health, testing and all that'. I agree with that. Look at the puppy mill dogs. They are ALL AKC-registered and are ALL pitiful caricatures of the breed.

I was simply saying that if you are careful and all you want is a pet, it is indeed possible to get a happy, healthy dog without spending thousands of dollars. YMMV.
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 3:38pm PST 
"it is indeed possible to get a happy, healthy dog without spending thousands of dollars"

Yep, and it is possible to do this and STILL go to a reputable breeder who health tests rather than a BYB (i.e a breeder who doesn't health test) shrug

For my boyfriends breed of choice we are going to (IMO) one of the best breeders in the country who does more health testing than the majority.. we are still not going to be paying over £1000 for the pup!
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 4:30pm PST 
In addition to the sites Trixie mentioned you could try the breed clubs too who often have breeder lists. This page has a list of the various clubs throughout the country. That website you're linked to are also Pom breeders that look pretty good too.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 8:17pm PST 
Prices for pet quality dogs from reputable breeders that do health testing are not as expensive as you may think. I know you're in the UK but I just want to use an example- beautiful little Poms like this are in rescue. Breed clubs have a rescue network. Reputable breeders also are often also involved in rescue and may know of dogs that need rehomed.

Edited by author Wed Jan 18, '12 8:19pm PST

[notify]
M.RY's- Utsukushii- At Pinnacle

Proud Heritage- Shows, NIPPO- Shiba Inu

Barked: Thu Jan 19, '12 5:53pm PST 
Not all mill dogs are AKC registered though some may be or some are just “said” to be. Mills, BYB’s and Designer Breeders out to make a buck will use AKC,UKC, CKC (both Canadian and continental kennel clubs) I even saw recently in our paper a “made up” registry because many people just don’t know! They see (and I quote the paper) “ AUC Registered Doodles, champion pedigrees $1000.” I thought you got to be kidding me but people actually believe it!! That the sad thing. Heck they will even use the “Name” of a kennel club to gain leverage, and scam people into paying top dollar for a sick pup. A Pedigree is really of no use to a pet owner. They are only useful to a reputable breeder.

Just found a new puppy mill in my area that does this. The worst part is her grandson grew up believing this is how dogs are taken care of. He was telling his friends about how many dogs he has and that he has so many they live in a “barn” because his grandma was a “breeder”; that she breeds many different breeds. So of cores I had to kind of laugh sarcastically and say “you mean she is a puppy mill.” He got pretty snappy with me, proceeding to tell me all the puppies got “played with” and all got there shots before they left! When I went to set him straight he just blew it off and I remember him saying “my grandma is not a puppy mill or BYB, what are you even talking about?” and all his friends chimed in laughing all the while saying “yeah, your crazy” and “she’s a breeder, puppy mills are bad”. Ohhh I was just sick!! And to top it off while laughing this guy says “yeah she makes BANK off those dogs! Selling them to China, we think they get eaten because we never hear from them. But that’s our money” OHH I about died, and it makes me sick every day they abuse kennel club names to farther there business. People just really don’t know!

Sorry to hi-jack your thread OP.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 8:19pm PST 
Show and working line breeders do produce puppies that are just pets. Not all puppies are going to be suited to show and competition/working, even coming from parents that excelled at it.
Considering how much bickering there's been on this subject in the past (some of it caused by mesilenced), it's nice to see someone who is willing to disagree respectfully.smile

Edited by author Sat Jan 21, '12 8:26pm PST

[notify]
MACH Koji BN- RAE MXB MJS- MXF T

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 1:30pm PST 
And for anyone that says "I just want a pet", I would suggest that they read this blog post, http://blacksheepcardigans.com/ruff/general/i-dont-want-a-show-dog-i -just-want-a-pet/

Some food for thoughts if you want a specific breed.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3