GO!

Puppy return?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '11 12:10pm PST 
Hi, I'm a new breeder and am in the process of selling my first litter...I have a person who purchased a puppy from me about two weeks ago and had me hold it until Christmas. I had to pay all cost to keep the dog that long and also get it's next set of shots. After all that they finally got the puppy on Saturday. Got a call this morning that they want/need to return dog due to an allergy. What I want to know is if I should return the money, keep some for expenses, or keep the money due to the fact I will be losing out on money now that the dog is older and will need to be listed again?
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '11 12:16pm PST 
I would cross post this in some of the other forums for more answers. I do not have any answers for you hope some one does.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '11 12:22pm PST 
judging by the way our various breeders have treated us in the past, since the pup's new family had only kept him for 2 days, i'd just return their money in full and be glad they contacted me to take the dog back so that i could screen for a new home.

did the people meet the parents and not have any allergic reactions?

you wouldn't want the dog to stay anyway, in a house that doesn't want him anymore. you should be looking out for the welfare of the pup first and foremost.

what was said about returns in your contract? what do other breeders in your breed fancy suggest? and do they usually think it's a good idea to place puppies during holidays?

your last thought should be whether you're 'losing out on money'. puppies aren't for making money on and if that's the approach, then it's been the wrong approach. they aren't a stock inventory..
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '11 1:11pm PST 
I'm with Lilith 100%. As a breeder I would refund their money completely with no hesitation. No reputable breeder would ever think of not refunding the total purchase price in this type of situation. I do a full refund for ANY reason during the first month... after that it depends on the circumstances whether I refund and/or how much.
However, as a breeder there is no way, no how I would EVER let a puppy go at Christmastime. I would give them photos to give but the dog would not leave until well after the excitement and chaos of the Holiday. It is just not fair to the new puppy who deserves peace and quiet and full attention to him in his new home.
I would have also met the ENTIRE family BEFORE the sale and hopefully, discovered any allergies at that time, PRIOR to subjecting the puppy to the stress of going to a new home and then coming back.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '11 1:44pm PST 
I agree with Toto and Lilith. The breeder we purchased Kai from did a thorough screening that took several months,checked both personal and vet references,and even made a home visit and met our other dog before deciding we would be a suitable home for one of her puppies. She also had a refund policy of 100% within the first 30 days and depending on circumstances pro-rated after that. She also takes puppies back from her litters for rehoming for the life of the dog to keep them out of shelters/rescues. She is a small scale breeder but places puppies like they are children and takes responsibility for every puppy she produces. After the first 2 years there is no buy-back but she will take the dog and rehome it for someone who cannot keep it. If you are going to be breeding these are things you should plan for and have covered in your contract. Give the buyer their money back and please screen potential owners more carefully in the future. Just my honest opinion.
[notify]
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '11 2:02pm PST 
I think sometimes allergies aren't immediately apparent- they show up after being in an enclosed space for several hours with the animal, or they show up a while after exposure, not during. My sister is very allergic to horses, she found out about it when she broke out in a horrible rash hours after petting one!

So it's not that surprising that they would only find out after taking pup home for two days.

Next time (if there IS a next time) sell your pups on a contract that spells out your policies in detail so there is no question of what to do if a pup needs to be returned.
[notify]
Remington's- Saturday- Night Spe

Cute-- and I know it!

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '11 4:37pm PST 
Since you held the pup for another 2 weeks for Christmas AND got the next set of shots, I would deduct that money out of the purchase price and then return the rest. And explain why you did it that way to the people. (Shots = $30 $10/week for 'boarding' would be about $50 or so)

Edited by author Tue Dec 27, '11 4:39pm PST

[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 4:15pm PST 
If you're doing your job right as a breeder, you're not going to make money anyway, so the extra cost for this returned puppy is just noise. Really. The main consideration is the safety of the puppy, and, to a lesser extent, your reputation as a breeder who cares more about the well-being of the pups and a good fit with the family than with profit.

When Addy was returned to her breeder by her original buyer at a year old, after she had been in that home for nine months, for a reason that was, at best, factually debatable, her breeder refunded her purchase price plus the former owner's cost of shipping her back. In fact, she was "sold" to me for the amount necessary to reimburse the shipping costs, so stop and think a minute about the total $ lost on a dog who was originally sold as a show quality puppy.

Don't sweat the small stuff; refund the money and be glad the pup is safe rather than dumped in a shelter.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 5:26pm PST 
If you expected to get reimbursed for holding the puppy the extra time those charges should have been completely outlined in your contract. Without there being an original "charge" for that extra time it is not proper, IMO, to deduct that amount now, after the fact.
IF those charges WERE outlined in writing and there was an actual additional charge above and beyond the price of the puppy, then they could be deducted from the refund as they would have been for a service provided, but after the fact it wouldn't feel right to me at all, in fact it would make me think that as a breeder you are only about the money and not the puppy and new puppy home and owners.
Remember, if you hope to be a reputable breeder your reputation starts with this first litter, and trust me, stuff like this gets passed around to more potential buyers than you can ever imagine.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 4:51am PST 
Maggie I agree that allergies cannot always be forseen by a buyer but as someone who plans to be a breeder the OP needs to decide how to handle unforseen circumstances and be prepared to deal with them. As Toto and Lillith pointed out having a contract that allows for circumstances such as this can make or break a breeders reputation. I was quite happy that Kai's breeder was so careful about placing puppies and had a very specific contract that she happily explained to all potential buyers. She is also quite strict on the re-homing part of the contract and return of the puppy/dog to her to be re-homed properly so that her pups do not end up in the wrong type of home.
Akitas require alot of special handling and are not for the average person so being placed in a home with someone who understands the extra responsibility of owning one is very important to anyone who wants to be considered a reputable breeder. Just my opinion and I personally would not buy one from someone without them having a strict re-homing policy.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2