GO!

help tea cup or minitures help :-k

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 11:31pm PST 
i am looking for a very small dog but my wife has added a road block can anyone tell me where i can find a 1 to 3 pound dog that looks like a golden cocker spaniel we ride a goldwing motorcycle and a realy small dog would add some fun to the trips we take but she is dead set on golden cocker spaniel i have no idea where to look or what to look for onn the net i find to much information but none that would help
if anyone knows any thing that would help me i can use any helpthinking
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 2:30am PST 
I think if you get too small you are more likely to have health problems. My pup is almost five pounds any smaller and I think would not be happy. Sometimes I wish he was happy. He can be sitting on me and I do not even feel him at times.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 5:43am PST 
I will personally never get a dog that is smaller than my guinea pig. No reputable breeder would ever breed "teacup" anythings so there are serious heath concerns with that regard. There are plenty of standard toy breeds that exist that are small enough to ride comfortably with you on a motorcycle. A Phalene (drop eared) Papillon is about the closest you're going to get to something that is small and has that spaniel look.
[notify]

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 6:54am PST 
the only two common breeds in the 1-3 lb category that are supposed to be that weight are pomeranians and chihuahuas, both of which are supposed to weigh 2-6 lbs. Get a little bigger (5-12 lbs) and you can get a phalene or papillion. The phalene is the drop eared version of papillion. Papillions are also called continental toy spaniels, so they are in the same family of dogs as cockers.

You are not going to find teacup cocker spaniels. Cockers are 15-30 lbs. The reason people go for a blond or golden cocker is usually because of lady and the tramp. It's the media, the same reason why people think that chihuahuas are supposed to be tan when really they could come in any color.

You have to be careful with cockers, lots of their lines are getting bitey. If you chose one for a size that they are not supposed to be, chances are you are going to find an expensive wreck of a dog. It's a shame to see it happen to a good gun dog, but people bred for looks and forgot that the insides need to be healthy too.

I think you need to reassess what you want in a dog. Ask your family why they HAVE to have a certain color or breed especially when it comes to cockers that can come in tan to black, merle and parti color. If it's because of looks only, maybe a dog statue would be better.

Edited by author Wed Dec 21, '11 7:08am PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 6:56am PST 
One of those small companion breeds that can barely run for ten minutes straight due to genetic breathing problems might be happy just riding around on a bike. Like a pug or a French bulldog. Not sure if they would be small enough for you. A cocker spaniel is too active and one that is well bred will always weigh more than what you're looking for. Only a chi weighs in that small, and even then it's probably off the standard.

There's no such thing as a 'tea cup' in any breed. As another poster said, that's a BYB term for dogs bred under-sized to get more money.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 9:12am PST 
you're right kitsune; they are high maintenance. I meant only on the size basis, but that's not a good reason to get an animal that wouldn't be suitable. sorry. red face
[notify]
Remington's- Saturday- Night Spe

Cute-- and I know it!

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 9:42am PST 
This is the smallest Cocker I could find and she's supposed to get 8#. Oh and 'only' $4K.

Micro Cocker
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 11:05am PST 
dear Dog, whyyyyyy frown
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 11:27am PST 
I wouldn't look online for dogs, I would look locally, that way you can go to the kennel and take a look at the puppies.

I would also recommend that once you really take an honest look at what you want in a pet, you should get a rescued adult. If there is a cocker spaniel rescue in your area, you should call them up and ask to see the dogs so that you know what they're like.

YOu drive a goldwing, I am supposing you have a sidecar for it? also the dog will need a helmet, jacket and goggles, all of which they do make specifically for dogs now. They also make harness restraints. Humans are not silly enough to jump out of a moving sidecar, but dogs can be pretty silly, and it can be devastating.
[notify]
Lola, in memory.

Her name was- Lola, she WAS a- show girl..

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 1:46pm PST 
Neither a pug nor a Frenchie would be suitable for riding on a motorcycle, unless you have them in an airconditioned compartment. They have enough problems breathing without adding heat and air rushing by their noses at 60 mph.
Over the years I've heard some pretty far out reasons to get a dog but this one may take the cake!!

Edited by author Wed Dec 21, '11 1:47pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4