GO!

Harnesses for small dogs that have the leash clip on the front?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 4:00pm PST 
Hey,

I'm looking for a harness for a small/medium sized dog (20 lbs) that has the leash clip on the front of the harness instead of along the back.

I think this type of harness is sold usually for larger sized dogs as anti-pull harnesses?

I found some for sale doing a google search but I'd like actual reviews/recommendations from people who use them if anyone here has any experience?

I'm looking for something well made and especially important is that it's safe, escape proof, and comfortable for the dogs smile Price isn't a huge issue so feel free to recommend whatever even if it's on the more expensive side.

I am hoping that the different position of the leash clip would help discourage pulling. Kitsune is almost 3 and his whole life I've been working with him to try to get him to walk on a loose leash. Most of the time he's fine, but there are times when he gets overly excited and forgets his training. Last winter when it was snowy and icy I found it difficult to walk him sometimes when he would want to pull in the slippery weather. I know that I have to continue working on his training, but I'm hoping that maybe a different style harness that helps to discourage pulling would be especially helpful when the weather here gets bad.

Thanks smile
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 8:28pm PST 
The one thing about the front-clip harnesses, I think most of them are not escape proof...
This one might be a little bit better in that than the Easy Walk/Sense-ation:
http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-collars-dog-harne sses/no-pull-dog-harnesses/freedom-no-pull-dog-harness-multi-functio nal-with-velvet-cushioning.html
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 9, '11 7:36am PST 
Most regular nylon harnesses already have a ring in the front over the dogs chest. Just clip the leash there instead of on the back. You need to tighten the harness enough that if the dog pulls back, the straps catch under the elbows--otherwise they can slip out! I've tried this with a few dogs and it works really well.
[notify]

Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Wed Nov 9, '11 7:59am PST 
Thanks Pooch, I'll look into the links.

That's what I was afraid of, them not being escape proof. My dog currently has a Lupine roman harness and I actually have tried clipping the leash to the ring on the front instead of on back. But he almost slipped out of the harness once when it was clipped that way and other times it kept making his harness all lop sided and it looked uncomfortable for him, I had to stop and fix it a ton of times on just a short walk.

I guess I was hoping that harness that are more designed to be front walking harnesses would be designed better somehow and eliminate those problems. It seems like that might not be the case though?
[notify]
Benne

Bad dog gone- good!

Barked: Fri Nov 11, '11 5:15pm PST 
I use the sensation and sensible harness. Ben is reactive and he has not come out of this harness. You can also clip the leash to the collar and the front conect harness just to be safe. Or Ellas Lead sells a double ended connector.
I have also used a regular harness with an o ring in the front and cliped the leash to that. I didn't have a problem with the harness moving because I keep the harness snug.
I have used the freedom harness too, that was nice but the instructions said not to just use the front connection alone. Maybe they have changed that now?
In my opinion the premier front connect harness (forget the name) slips, you adjust the size but while walking it just loosens. When I used that one I sewed the straps in place.
Both my vet and trainer say that any harness that fits correctly and snug will prevent them escaping the harness. It does seem to help, since I kept them snug there have been no more harness slips.
[notify]
Peekaboo

You can't see- me!

Barked: Sat Nov 12, '11 2:46am PST 
I'm not positive about the sizing, but I think the Freedom No-Pull Harness comes pretty small. It's unique in that it has a martingale behind the shoulder blades so, theoretically, it's less escapable that a regular no-pull harness. The newer versions come with a leash attachment so you can have the leash attached to both the front and the back at the same time.
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Sat Nov 12, '11 9:25am PST 
The walk in sync harness clips in the front and they have sizes for small dogs. Here is the website so you can check it out.

walk in sync
[notify]
Benne

Bad dog gone- good!

Barked: Sat Nov 12, '11 9:43am PST 
Thanks for posting Beauregard. That harness looks great, I had not seen that one. I like that is is styled like a regular harness with the strap in between the legs as well as the front connection. I may be buying that one too. My dogs have so many harnesses, leashes and accessories we could open a store.
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Sat Nov 12, '11 11:36am PST 
Hi Benne, I'm glad you like that harness. We ordered one for Beauregard but it hasn't come yet. I'm anxious to try it out. It does sound really good.
[notify]
Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Sat Nov 12, '11 12:47pm PST 
If escapability is a concern, simply clip the front hook of the Sense-ation-style harness to a loose-ish martingale collar (tight enough to not slip over the head, but loose enough to not interfere with the effectiveness of the harness). that way if the pup can get an elbow out of the harness they will still be attached via the collar.

I use the Sense-ation/Sensible harness and suggest it to my students before nearly any other harness. I do also really like the Freedom No-Pull a lot.

I've never used the Walk In Sync harness... but that's more than DOUBLE the price of other no-pull harnesses so I wouldn't ever go for that one.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2