GO!

Separation Anxiety, but for the other dog?!

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Samy

Little Fuzzy- Face

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 11:39am PST 
We recently adopted a Papillon-mix from the kill shelter who is about 7 years old, which is roughly the same age as Samy. From the beginning, Toki (new dog) follows Sam everywhere and anywhere. He grooms him, snuggles up next to him, stands under him, near him, pees with him, etc. If Samy jumps off the bed in the middle of the night, Toki barks at us to let him down so he can be with his favorite dog. It was cute at first, but Samy is getting a little bit annoyed, as are we. Toki also has a bad habit of sticking his face in Samy's junk, occasionally licking and bothering poor Mr.Samy. confused

Isn't it just a bit strange that he has separation anxiety for our dog and not the people who saved him? Is there anyway to get him to be less clingy? Samy often runs in the other direction because Toki gets "too personal". Why is he licking Samy's "stuff" and what can we do about that?
[notify]
Mika

As long as they- think they're- the boss

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 11:59am PST 
He may have a trust or bonding issue with people due to his previous home. My sister adopted a beagle springer that behaved the same way with my sisters puggle she was aloof and timid with people but was Max the puggles shadow. It was through her bond with Max that Sophie learned to trust people and it took about six months before she accepted everyone in the house. It's been almost two years since my sister adopted Sophie and there are still people who visit my sister she isn't sure about. Please try to have patience with your adoptee and if the dogs need to be separated so that the one you had first can have some peace try a secrrity gate,puppy pen or crate that still allows the new dog to see her friend .Keep trying to be friends with her by offering treats and it you can get them pet her/him gently from below and praise a positive response in time she will get better
[notify]
Samy

Little Fuzzy- Face

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 12:36pm PST 
I should've provided more info.

Toki has been very accepting of people from the beginning, a bit shy at first but he definitly warms up quickly. He likes to sit in our laps and sleep on the best with us, but would rather be with Samy.

Samy actually helped show Toki it's okay to eat out of a bowl. For whatever reason, he was afraid of the food dish. Poor thing. Up until recently, he wouldn't even eat a treat or table scrap.
[notify]

Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 12:47pm PST 
Samy,
I think you have pretty much won the battle from the beginning without realizing that you did. I think some dogs just prefer dogs to people, I'm a people and sometimes I prefer dogs to most people. BTW/ I have two Akita's who adore each other but aren't always in the same mood and get into spats so we still have to separate sometimes.Our Mika will suck up to anyone she knows will pet her but as typical Akita fasion she is aloof with strangers. Our Kai who can be my shadow and loves us to death prefers to have attention when he wants it and will actually walk away from us when he wants his space. That might be the case with your adoptee, just a difference in personality. Over time you will probably learn to love and enjoy both as e have.
[notify]
Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 1:30pm PST 
By the way, I forgot as awful and disgusting as it seems to people the licking of each others "stuff" is just normal grooming to them as companions. Mika was nearly 3 and spayed when we brought Kai home at the age of 8 weeks .We thought it was some type of mothering behavior on her part in the beginning but Mika will be 5in Dec. and Kai 2 at the end of this month and they clean each others,teeth,ears,faces,bite at each others nails to get out dirt,flea each other all over with their little front teeth,Akita's do this fleaing with their people as well,and yes,they lick each others stuff,we make it a point to just not see it,concentrating on t.v. ,talking,reading,anything to not watch it. We tried getting them to stop with no success,so we just do our best to ignore it.They are simply being family and grooming each other. Hope someone comes up with some other answer for you,if anyone has managed to stop that (at least the stuff licking) I'd love to know how they did it ,too. We tried treats,to distract them,moved them away from each other etc,but as soon as we stopped holding them back or whatever they'd be right back at it. Who knows they could be confused by the fact that we don't groom each other like that!!Ugh
[notify]