GO!

Does my dog have 'small dog syndrome'?!?!

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Sep 5, '11 7:44am PST 
Yes, she sounds fear aggressive, which is hardly surprising if she's been attacked in the past.

Working with a good behaviourist is recommended. Working with fear and/or aggression issues is often a long process though and you have to be prepared for lots of repetitive training sessions around other dogs.

My own little terrier, Missy, also has aggression issues which more than likely stem from fear too. I worked with a behaviourist for nearly 2 years, but only started seeing improvements about 18 months into the training. Now i train on my own with her and we've seen even bigger improvements the past year or two. So, change is possible with time.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Sep 5, '11 11:17am PST 
There is no such thing as small dog syndrome, only untrained dogs.

having said that, this is not it. This sounds like rectivity, aggression based in fear.

Check out Ali Brown's Scaredy Dog and Grisha Stewart's soon to be released Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration, and Aggression in Dogs.
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Mon Sep 5, '11 12:38pm PST 
It's a term that one would be better without. smile

--des
[notify]

Ruby

Barked: Tue Sep 6, '11 1:26am PST 
Thank you - at first I thought that because she was small she felt she had to make herslef heard around big dogs. Almost get in there first as the boss so to speak. However I think that you are right and we definately need some extra help. We come accross big dogs pretty much everyday, how awful to have to face your fear everyday without knowing how to deal with it.

Thank you for your advice, I am on the case as we speak smile
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Wed Sep 7, '11 7:59pm PST 
Some dogs don't seem to notice, but some dogs appear to be intimated by much larger dogs. It isn't that they are being the boss at all.

Anyway, some small dogs will only play with small dogs. When Torie went to a certain doggie day care, she has no preference, but the day care kept her to play with the puppies and little dogs which made everybody happy.

--des
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2