GO!

I am new here and tiny, mommy need some advice

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
~ Ella ~

Big things come- in small- packages

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 7:33am PST 
Hi
I am currently 6 weeks old and will be comming home to my new home in a few weeks. The breeders says I should be about 3 lbs full grown.

Mommy is not sure if she should get me a harrness or a collar when I am big enough to start going for walks?, she knows that she has to wait until I have all my needles first. She is buying stuff for me over the next few weeks and she doesnt want to forget anything else she may need for me.

She got me tiny toys and ordered me a XXX small coat as well, she has a small kennel to put me in at night or when she is out so I dont get hurt. What else may she need for me?.

Thank you
Ella
[notify]
Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 10:16am PST 
Ella,
Has Mom gotten on her knees and checked the floor area from your sight level? Puppies always seem to find wires and other dangerous things that we as people don't even think about. You'll need food and water dishes,peepads or newspaper for when you can't get out.Do you have a nice soft bed all your own?Are you going to sleep with Mommy,
Has Mom decided what vet to use and made an appointment for within 3days of your coming home? Many breeders/rescues/shelters require this in case there is something really wrong. I think a collar would be fine and you should have them on whenever you go out to potty or exercise just for safety. Hope some of this helps and Good Luck

Mik,Kai&Mom
[notify]
Sven

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 10:34am PST 
I would definitely recommend a harness! You can usually find mesh ones that are tiny, and if you want your pup to wear a tag now, cat collars will probably fit! I would also recommend getting your pup used to having their teeth brushed, because small breeds develop plaque way quicker than large breeds. Watch out for your pup jumping off tall things like beds. I'd also have something on hand in case your pup gets hypoglycemic.
[notify]

~ Ella ~

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 1:04pm PST 
Ty you both SO MUCH
Mommy will look for a bed for me when not in my kennel then and pee pads for when I cant get out side, she did order Nutrical for me in case I get hypoglycemia, she will also get me a kitten collar, smaller dishes and the food she is going to get the kind the breeder will be feeding me.

Ty both again
Ella
XOXO
[notify]
Sven

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 1:14pm PST 
You're welcome! What a cute puppy also!!! Your excitement is making me want another one! What kind of food is your breeder feeding?
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 6:19pm PST 
collars are fine until the puppy is old enough to be leash trained, at which point a harness might be safer considering the tiny neck involved. For the wee ones, the harnesses that fit are the little ferret harnesses. I always recommend a harness for training. Some of us never stop pulling, no matter how much training is received. red face
[notify]
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Sat Sep 3, '11 11:52pm PST 
I was super duper tiny too when I came home!! I'm now 3 years old and I'm finally just 4 lbs! I was 3 & 1/2 lbs forever....Ultra small breeds have collapsing trachea issues and the BEST way to help to prevent that problem is to never use collars, ALWAYS harnesses unless the collar is just to hang an ID tag on. I would also suggest a sheepskin lined harness, to prevent skin irritation. Also, consider purchasing a set of doggy steps with a soft cover. To get up and down from the furniture, as your pup will want to follow you everywhere, and these steps help prevent accidental injuries trying to follow mom, dad, sisters, brothers, etc. and not paying good attention. Another tip, since you are SO small and underfoot (as you will be glued to each other until your pup grows a bit) please consider having everyone wear only socks or barefoot untill you're a bit bigger. It's alot easier to avoid a tiny pup if you can feel them and prevent accidental bumps and steps on...expect your pup to be right underfoot! Also, please make sure you buy small breed puppy chow or canned puppy food as thier tiny mouths cannot handle regular puppy chow, it's made with much bigger puppies in mind. We used Wellness Small Breed for puppies kibble with a bit of warm water or milk mixed in and it went quite well! To prevent hypoglycemia, please consider free feeding your tiny pup, it works great! I used beef strained baby food as special treats and as a mix in when Penny was a pup. Good luck!!dancing
[notify]
goldie

shes so cute

Barked: Sun Sep 4, '11 8:41am PST 
Ella is gorgeous, lucky you
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Sun Sep 4, '11 10:08am PST 
I came home at 6 weeks, way too young but I wasn't in a good place so no help for it.

I did fine. A break away cat collar for my tinny Id tag. A harness, but only when going outside, I used a cat harness. I had a sweater because it was the middle of winter.

I was eating raw chicken breast, I would always eat this when offered,
high quality canned puppy food, Wellness for Puppies, and canned puppy milk. The milk and canned food were mixed together.

At first I liked to eat it off of my person's fingers, but after a few days I learned to eat out of my little dish. I chewed on raw chicken bones to work my teeth and for calcium. I quickly learned to chew them up and eat them.

I grew like a weed and I am very healthy and full of energy.
[notify]
~ Ella ~

Barked: Wed Sep 7, '11 8:17am PST 
You are all great and ty all for the advice it sure has helped. Mommy decided on a break away collar for my tags and a harrness for walks. She also picked out two xx small coats for warmth, she thinks she is set for now. The breeder feeds me royal cainin small puppy food right now so I think thats what mommy will keep me on it for now.

Ty all again
Ella and her mommy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3