GO!

I might be a new small dog mom!

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3  
Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 7:10am PST 
Fritz/Cocoa,
I will ask my sister the name of the book and where she got it. The petstore was "Puppies by Dishong" which has a chain of stores in PA. I don't have the name of my daughters breeder or what sources she used to give her client's information. Will do my best to find out. I only know the reaction I saw in Max and my sister has well water on tap so we thought nothing of giving him tap water until we saw his reaction for ourselves,maybe it is just him but the next time he stays she's bringing him water from home to avoid a repeat. I just felt with having heard it with multiple small breeds I would pass on the information.I have Akita's so I'd never heard of it before either.
[notify]
Kai

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 7:16am PST 
By the way I thought the purpose of the forums was to pass on helpful informatio,not to grill other posters on their sources,et...
Isn't there some way you could more respectfully cross post or simply disagree? I just wanted you to know that I felt very personally attacked by your approach.
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 7:24pm PST 
Kai, Sorry if you felt attacked. However, I don't think asking for sources or pointing out that not everything you read is true is disrespectful.

I have looked and looked and I can't find a single credible source that has any information for or against letting dogs drink tap water. I have found a lot of opinions, answers, blogs and people trying to sell books, water filters....Actually I also had trouble finding any credible sources with information about tap water at all, which seemed strange.

Anyway if you have any credible sources, I would be really interested to see them .

Fritz/Cocoa.
[notify]

Kai

Barked: Fri Aug 19, '11 4:36am PST 
Fritz/Cocoa,
Iwas able to ,I hope, find so of your answers.The book my sister got her info from was "All About Pugs" sold at Petco.Checked with the petstore they got their info from the vet they use which also happens to be the one I use Ebensburg Animal Hospital member AAHA.
I have not been able to get the name of the breeder my daughter used.My aunt got her info from Richland Vet Hosp member AAHA.My sister explained to me how it works in humans,she minored in Biology when she got her bachelors degree from Pitt. Sodium Hypochlorite( Chlorine used to treat water) displaces useable sodium in the body changing the electrolyte balance of,sodium,magnesium,calcium and phosphorus. She learned this in Clinical Organic Chemistry. You would need to have a text book for that class as well as a book on Canine Anatomy to know which breeds would be affected because chlorine tolerance is based on
metabolic excretory processes. Also my daughters vet is Hilltop Animal Hospital . My sources are 3vets within 40miles of home,a book on pugs,
and a clinical lab tech. with 10 years hospital experience in electrolyte metabolism and its effects on the human body.She also explained that depending on how each breed metabolizes it the effect is different but for most true toy breeds giving them chlorinated water regularly would be like giving a human a 500ml I.V.drip of Clorox over a 24hr period. I don't know if this is what you wanted but Thank-you,I learned something I found very interesting today.
[notify]
Kai

Barked: Fri Aug 19, '11 4:48am PST 
P.S.
That is why the federal government has water authorities in municipalities do required water quality testing because excessive ammounts of chlorine in drinking water,measured in ppm(parts per million) can even make humans sick. Also if you read my original post correctly I advised the OP to check with her vet because I didn't know if Chi's were affected. I just knew that some toy breeds had a problem.
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Barked: Sat Aug 20, '11 8:15am PST 
Kai, I appreciate the information. I searched the AAHA site; they have no studies concerning chlorine in tap water or any dangers regarding some breeds of dog drinking tap water. They seem to be some kind of accreditation agency. The AVMA accreditation has to do with a practice being competent and meeting a set of standards, it has nothing to do with studies.

I looked at Auburn University vet school and found a document that basically stated that Chlorine in drinking water is safe and that if there is enough chlorine to be harmful, the water would be undrinkable due to taste and smell. Penn state, no results. Cambridge no articles about chlorine.

I have no doubt that chlorine can be toxic, the gas will kill you very quickly and a strong enough dose of liquid will cause chemical burns. I am sure the effects your sister told you about are accurate, but at how many PPM?

States/government tests water for contaminates and bacteria. They use chlorine to kill the bacteria to make the water safe and test it to make sure there is enough chlorine in the water to do the job. water safety

As I said before, I don’t doubt that some dogs and people are bothered by chlorine just as some people are bothered by strawberries. But if tap water was any kind of problem with dogs/pets someone would have studied it.

I didn’t say I didn’t get results when I did a Google search, I found tons, but nothing credible. Just people’s opinions, blogs, people trying to sell books, water filters, or homeopathic practitioners going on about the evils of all chemicals.

I mean no disrespect to your local vet or your sister’s chemistry teacher/book. None of those sources is credible, that is backed up by studies/research/published journals…(or if they are,I have been unable to find a single study to review)

I really doubt that giving your chi or any other dog tap water will hurt him, but it is easy to get chlorine out of water, just put it into an open container and leave it out all night. No harm if people want to be safe just because they love their dog and someone said "watch out for chlorine".

I love my dogs too and for me that means checking out all information before acting on it. In this instance I am not finding any back up for the concern that some breeds of dog shouldn’t have tap water.

Have a nice day.
[notify]
Kai

Barked: Sat Aug 20, '11 7:29pm PST 
Cocoa,
Most of the people in our area drink bottled or filtered water
because in general it smells and tastes like bleach. I even give my dogs water filtered by the fridge and cook and mix iced tea etc with filtered water. It's usually at it's worst on Wednesday and Thursday
because they chlorinate overnight on Tuesday and we have complained about it with no results. You said your water was lightly chlorinated maybe that's the difference but there is not a vet in our area that recommends giving toy breeds tap water and some areas have even had boil water notices because the chlorine exceeds the recommended ppm
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 7:18am PST 
Try leaving water out in open containers, the chlorine should disipate. It sounds like you have really bad water. Boiling will kill germs/organisms. I don't know about it removing chlorine, but maybe the rolling action of the water takes care of it.

I can see drinking bottled water or putting in a filter if you don't like the taste of your water.
[notify]
Charlie- Morgan- Whitmore

Don't bother me- I'm busy- sleeping!

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 8:09pm PST 
My mom was telling me that my great grandma lived in Florida and because of the chlorine content in their water, my grandma's vet suggested on bottled water for her beagle, Sam. After awhile Sam became quite the snob lol and would only drink purified water. I did a "study" on him once when I was in the 6th grade and he would not drink tap water (this was once they moved to Arizona).
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3