|Barked: Sat Aug 20, '11 8:15am PST |
|Kai, I appreciate the information. I searched the AAHA site; they have no studies concerning chlorine in tap water or any dangers regarding some breeds of dog drinking tap water. They seem to be some kind of accreditation agency. The AVMA accreditation has to do with a practice being competent and meeting a set of standards, it has nothing to do with studies.
I looked at Auburn University vet school and found a document that basically stated that Chlorine in drinking water is safe and that if there is enough chlorine to be harmful, the water would be undrinkable due to taste and smell. Penn state, no results. Cambridge no articles about chlorine.
I have no doubt that chlorine can be toxic, the gas will kill you very quickly and a strong enough dose of liquid will cause chemical burns. I am sure the effects your sister told you about are accurate, but at how many PPM?
States/government tests water for contaminates and bacteria. They use chlorine to kill the bacteria to make the water safe and test it to make sure there is enough chlorine in the water to do the job. water safety
As I said before, I don’t doubt that some dogs and people are bothered by chlorine just as some people are bothered by strawberries. But if tap water was any kind of problem with dogs/pets someone would have studied it.
I didn’t say I didn’t get results when I did a Google search, I found tons, but nothing credible. Just people’s opinions, blogs, people trying to sell books, water filters, or homeopathic practitioners going on about the evils of all chemicals.
I mean no disrespect to your local vet or your sister’s chemistry teacher/book. None of those sources is credible, that is backed up by studies/research/published journals…(or if they are,I have been unable to find a single study to review)
I really doubt that giving your chi or any other dog tap water will hurt him, but it is easy to get chlorine out of water, just put it into an open container and leave it out all night. No harm if people want to be safe just because they love their dog and someone said "watch out for chlorine".
I love my dogs too and for me that means checking out all information before acting on it. In this instance I am not finding any back up for the concern that some breeds of dog shouldn’t have tap water.
Have a nice day.
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|