GO!

Any Shih Poo's here????

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3  
Maxie CGC,- TDI

Social Butterfly

Barked: Wed Jul 13, '11 7:37am PST 
I agree with the idea of getting the kids and the puppy involved in a class. It will help them bond and the kids will have a better understanding of what the dog needs.

Maxie is my 11 month old Shihpoo- he is 18.8lbs, very solidly built, but Shihpoos do range in size as you can see from the postings. Max is great with the grandkids- they range from 7-11....but I have monitored their playtime with him because especially when he was real little (and we got him at 10 weeks)- to them he was just the best little toy. The kids don't know any better and learning to respect an animal's needs is such a great life lesson for kids and helps them bond to the animal rather than just see it as a fun little toy.

Puppies still need a lot of sleep and are learning to trust the world. Kids' constant energy level and unpredictable movements can be too much for them. The more you can provide positive experiences early on, the more confident and calm dog you will have later on. It's kind of like when you protect your kids from certain scary situations in the world until they are ready for them.

I just adopted another Shihpoo- a rescue dog- 1 yr old. Her name is Lily Anne, she is 11 lbs and has been with us 3 days. Already she is acting like she has been here all her life in spite of being picked up as a badly matted stray (it took them an hour to shave her) and failing the food aggression test at the shelter. They were going to euthanize her but a rescue group took her in and worked on the food aggression issue ...which didn't take long. She is doing fine with that here and her and Maxie have become the best of friends, sharing bones and chew toys and even eating out of each other's dishes now. And they were going to euthanize her! If I was an 11 lb dog living on the streets (and she had been there a while judging from her condition)- I'd guard my food too! It's probably why she survived. I will post pics of her after she goes to the groomer today.

I have dogs all my life, but this mix of Shihtzu-Poodle produces seems to produce such a sweet, wonderful dog. You're very smart to think about the best way to handle this situation now- and I aplaud your foresight and committment to this little pup.. for everything you put into this puppy now- will reward you for the rest of his life.

Good luck and keep us posted!
[notify]
Emma-Gem

I'm the PRINCESS- of the house!

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 3:33pm PST 
hi there we bought (i say adopt) because i think we saved her from a not so good situation and i didnt buy her from a breeder anyways we got little "Barbie" from this women who told me she was simple a "mini poodle" then i look at the vet records and she's a Shih-poo...i was curious the exzact same thing as you are..she said that she wasn't told that it was a mix so she called the wmen she got her from and they said the father wa a mini poodle and the mum was a shih tzu...anyways im guessing not that big 10-15 lbs at the most. hope that helps you. I hate when people mix dogs or dont give u good information they SHOULD know before considering selling or breeeds! Barbie is such a sweetie and so incredbully smart i jsut think mix breeding can be a bad thing too.
[notify]
Emma-Gem

I'm the PRINCESS- of the house!

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 3:44pm PST 
Wow I'm amazed that you are (or were) having issues with your Shih-poo... my shih-poo is just the most loving and cutuest thing alive (and she's only 3 months (we have had her 2 weeks) anyways....the biggest issues with dogs is getting them socialized at a young age...and when i mean socalized i mean not just with your kids and people that they see everyday i mean getting them OUT THERE to new situations, testing their limits, getting them into diffrent things so that they can be well ajusted Dogs...! One of the biggest issues ive found with small dogs is they total freak out when you leave them alone...well we have had ours for 2 weeks and i have total gotten her out of the freak out ..i did this by leaving the room for just 5 mintutes and then returning and telling her id come back and then longer...! At 4 months i think they are still "re-trainible" their still babies...I wouldnt let him or her go yet! Their like babies and toddler at this age you could change their name and they would agust or change them from being a pooping on the floor to pooping outside, (Mine goes on walks and will do tha outside (already at 3 months!!! and barks only if she has to go outide and she was a constant barker for the first week and now nothing!!! best of luck
dannielle (the purpose of my rant is if i can train a puppy that would freak out when i would leave the room (and i mean freak out) and bark constantly ANYTHING and everything is possible! dont give up!!
[notify]

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3