GO!

Little lady dogs!! When did you start your first heat?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Oogie Bear

The Princess- Honey Badger

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 12:09am PST 
Hi everyone! This thread is kind of a poll for all you peeps that have small lady dogs- in the 5 pound or less range weight wise.

My pomeranian/chihuahua mix pup, Oogie, is 7 months and 3.1 pounds. She has several retained puppy teeth and I'm trying to determine the optimal time to spay her so that she will be fixed before her first heat but have the most amount of time possible to loose those stubborn milk teeth naturally- that way less have to be removed during surgery. The vet highly recommends that I spay her before her first heat.

So, if any of you own small intact females or waited to spay until after the first heat cycle, when did your pup(s) begin her/their first cycle and what breed is she/were they? I'm not sure if heat cycle is determined more by breed or weight, or neither or both! Thanks in advance for your input smile

Edited by author Sun May 29, '11 12:17am PST

[notify]
Daisy Baby

Daddy's Spoiled- Little Girl!

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 12:15am PST 
I have a little lady dog and will be interested to see what everyone says..I would like to know when everyone elses dogs went into heat for the first time smile
[notify]
Lacey- Princess- Akamine

Got Meat?!

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 3:22am PST 
I started my heat when I was 7 1/2 months old.I was about 7 pounds.I am a maltese/toy poodle and was spayed after my first heat.I got spayed in Feburary 2010.Mommy put doggy diapers on me and I hated it!I kept trying to bite it off!Ah!Puppy days!dancing
[notify]

Taylor

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 5:07am PST 
I answered this in your other post. Taylor turned one yesterday, she weighs just under four pounds and had her first heat three weeks ago. Most of my toy poodles have their first heat at about 9 - 12 months of age, however, it does depend somewhat on the time of year. Very few will come in during the dark months of Winter, and I've had seven month old ones (very rarely) start in the Spring, especially if there were other girls in heat in the house.
[notify]
Oogie Bear

The Princess- Honey Badger

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 4:05pm PST 
Thanks Lacey!

And thank you for taking the time to answer the question in both posts, Taylor! I decided to create one in the small dog forum since more people will small adult female dogs would probably frequent this forum as opposed to the puppy forum. That's an interesting observation about the season; I never thought of that! I wonder if Oogie would be more likely to start sooner (in the summer) rather than later in the fall? Also, have you noticed any difference in the onset of the first heat in regards to the females' weights?
[notify]
Taylor

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 4:48am PST 
Only that more of my smaller dogs are closer to the 9 - 12 month age and more of my labs were 15 - 18 months old, but someone always comes either earlier or later. I have one poodle whose first heat was at 20 months and one lab who came in at 8 months.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 8:55am PST 
Missy is not under 5lbs, but she was 9 months old when she had her first heat and then went about another 9 months after that until her second one. She only had one heat every year up until she was spayed at 3 years old.
[notify]
Tinker

Villian

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 4:46am PST 
Tinker had her first heat at 9 months...she was around 3 lbs.
[notify]