GO!

Getting on/off the Bed?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 9:57am PST 
Hiya, littles! wavelaugh out loud This is a silly question, but I'm asking it anyway. For those of you with small dogs who sleep in bed with you (or are allowed on furniture in general), do you provide anything to help the dog get on and off the bed? Do they just jump up, do you carry them up, or do you have little stairs that you use?

I recall seeing a commercial a while back for a little soft set of "stairs" that you could put next to furniture for dogs who have trouble hopping up onto things (or for whom it's dangerous to jump off). I've occasionally seen similar products in pet stores as well. So does anyone use them? If so, would you recommend them?
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 10:08am PST 
We don't use anything. Our dogs can all jump onto the bed. Lilly is the smallest (about 6 lbs) and she can still make it onto the bed, although it's quite a feat for her. She also jumps down with no issues. She has just recently started getting on the bed by herself though. We used to pick her up and put her on the bed with us, and sometimes still do. We used to call her "white dog can't jump", but I guess that doesn't really apply anymore. laugh out loud
[notify]
Boogie

Are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 12:08pm PST 
We have stairs for my moms bed because it is so high up. Even though we have the stairs the two little dogs won't use them and prefer to jump but my coonhound uses them even though he can easily jump on the bed thinking I think maybe the little dogs receive a sense of accomplishment when they don't use the stairs and they jump onto the bed and make it. LOL.
[notify]

Stella Agnes- CGC/TDI

CGC, Therapy- Dog. My velcro- girl!

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 6:44pm PST 
I have steps for my bed. Stella has back issues and she uses the steps to get up and down on the bed, but Hazel is young and she just jumps up. Desi, my male poodle mix gets lifted up because he refuses to use the steps and he has both rear luxating patellas. He doesn't need to be jumping up that high. Whenever Lucy gets on the bed (not often), she just jumps up with no problem.
[notify]
Spyke-rest peacefully my love

Cookie!? I'll do- anything for a- cookie!

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 7:01pm PST 
I'm having the same problem lol. I have to get stairs for spike for my bed, but sadly, I have to have them custom made because my bed is made weird. I use stairs, (even though sometimes he doesn't want to) because he's a doxie and it's not good for his back to jump up and down.
[notify]
Rico Suave

I IS DA EVIL- LITTLE PILLOW- THIEF!

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 7:08pm PST 
rico has stairs but tries to jump he can do it if thier is something small for him to puch off other wise he stands and scratched the bed until I pull him up by his harness. he had a pair he used but a kid that was visiting sat on them and broken them I am going to get him a new set because the ones I have no he does not like because he slides on them when he jumps up.
[notify]
Pookie

plush destroyer

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 9:51pm PST 
Pookie just jumps, though my bed is kind of high so I worry about her joints at times. I don't think she would like the stairs though, she would probably prefer a ramp. thinking
[notify]
Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 11:11pm PST 
Stewie isn't 'supposed' to come on my bed. He does try occasionally and makes it up no problem, but I tend to push him off the bed so he knows he isn't supposed to be there.

He also jumps on couches and the chair he sleeps on. He's young so it seems easy for him but I'm sure as he gets older it could be a problem?!

I guess since he is part dachshund, I should probably watch out for it but he's just such a bundle of energy sometimes I don't think I could stop him snoopy
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 6:18am PST 
I have stairs for my bed. I had to order them online since my bed is extra tall and the ones in the stores were all made for normal sized beds. Neither dog can get onto my bed without them, so it's a great thing to have so they don't have to wake me up in the middle of the night to be lifted up. Bailey uses them to get off the bed too, but I can't break Saige's habit of jumping off.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 10:12am PST 
Kit just jumps up. I've been thinking lately of getting him stairs or a ramp though because recently he stopped wanting to jump up when it's dark, so he scratches at the side of the bed to let me know he wants to come up and I lift him up or my fiance flips on the light for a minute and he jumps up with the light on. I think he has a hard time judging the jump in the dark? Not sure. I don't mind him waking me up too much but I'm thinking that if he'd use stairs it might be easier for him.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3