GO!

Yorkies = skin and bones??

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lolli

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 11:21pm PST 
So after a recent trip to the vet, we learned that Lolli is 7.5 lbs, which is apparently very large for a yorkie...?
I was under the impression that that was normal??
Now the fat jokes towards my poor dog are unrelenting (good thing she doesn't speak human!)
It's made me realize, every other yorkie I've come accross just feels like a skeleton with a thin layer of skin over it. Lolli is also the only female yorkie I've ever met--is this significant at all? Are they supposed to be skeletal, or is this just a male thing or what?

My dog's fur is also much more dense than any yorkie I've seen, and I'll admit shes soft and squishy to the touch (like a stuffed animal!)--but I don't think she appears fat at all?

Here's the only photo I have with a clear look at her body:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z2/ashleyseesincolor/DSC_0 298.jpg

what do you guys think--is she normal??

Edited by author Mon Jan 24, '11 11:24pm PST

[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Tue Jan 25, '11 6:58am PST 
The thing with fluffy dogs is that you can't get a true idea of their size by looking at them since you can't tell what's dog and what's fur. She certainly doesn't look obese, but you can't tell by looking at the photo whether she's overweight or not. Check out the body condition chart and see where she falls on it. You want her to be a 4-5. Can you feel her ribs? You should be able to run your hand down her ribcage and be able to feel them easily, with only a thin layer of fat covering them. Dogs feeling squishy generally isn't a good thing.
[notify]
Lolli

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 12:26am PST 
hmm. i think i'd probably estimate lolli to be a 5.5-6.
it's hard to tell, because i have to press a little to feel her ribs, but she has a pretty pronounced tuck-up. maybe she should just lay off the treats and get a little more exercise x]
[notify]

Sam

I can get out of- anything...

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 1:10pm PST 
If she really is close to a 6 then she could stand to lose like a half a pound maybe. We have to think in size terms. for really small dogs a half a pound is like 20 for us.

In other news, I never liked a yorkie until I saw yours. Jeezaloo she looks like a cartoon character almost looks like stitch from lilo and stitch OMG i wanna hug her.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Feb 7, '11 5:43pm PST 
But if you're suspecting that Lolli may be pregnant, then I wouldn't start her on a diet for the time being.

I'd wait until you either confirm she is not pregnant, or the pups have been weaned.

How is she doing btw?
[notify]
Toby

As if I could- get cuter!

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 4:18am PST 
Lolli is from a pet shop, which almost certainly means she wasn't bred to standard. Standard Yorkies should be smaller, but that is because of a breeding program, without that you often get oversized ones, doesn't mean she's fat.
[notify]
Pippin

Grrrrrrr

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 6:58am PST 
Oversized doesn't mean overweight, but if your vet examined her and he thinks she is overweight, she probably is. If your dog feels squishy, she is probably fat. No offence, but fat is really unhealthy.

Don't go by what a lot of strangers looking at a picture think, not unless you are just looking for someone to agree with you, so you don't feel bad about ignoring your vet's advice.

I didn’t think I was fat. I am fluffy and I have a nice waist and tuck up, but there was fat over my ribs that was hard to see/feel through all of my fur. I had to lose 13 pounds and I just had my second knee surgery. Being overweight didn’t cause my knee problems, I hope, but it sure wasn’t helping it any.

Many people think healthy lean dogs are skin and bones when they are really a healthy weight. You should be able to feel, but not see the ribs. One can find dozens of posts about remarks strangers make about a healthy dog being”skin and bones” just do a search.
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 8:21pm PST 
As a groomer, I see all sizes. Lolli is the type that I love styling. Their hair is so much easier to work with. She appears to be heavier boned than the more traditional type you see, with the silky fine hair. I wouldn't worry to much with what others say. As long as you can see an indent at her waist, and lightly feel her ribs all should be fine.
[notify]
Stella

Teacup- chupacabra

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 8:39pm PST 
Yorkies are one of the most common breeds I see at the shop, and unfortunately a lot of them suffer from various congenital issues which can explain some of the scrawnies you might have seen. It is not the healthiest breed, unfortunately.
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 10:52pm PST 
I am a "large dog" person but I recently acquired my first small dog. He is a Yorkie and belonged to the elderly woman I was caring for. She passed away but owned him for 14 years and always overfed him. He has all kinds of problems now that I'm trying to get under control, one being his weight. He weighed 12 lbs when I started working for her. The vet wants him at 8 lbs and I currently have him at 9. He is a large yorkie and I think it all depends on breeding and body type.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2