GO!

What's wrong with this picture?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 9:53am PST 
Please tell me I am over reacting at thinking this is so wrong at so many levels:

http://newbrunswick.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-puppies-for-sal e-Chihuahua-W0QQAdIdZ250691207

A 5 pound Chihuahua outside in the snow, on a chain, connected to a collar, not a harness!shockcry
[notify]
Morgana

THROW THE BALL- THROW THE BALL

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 10:03am PST 
and I thought I was harsh to judge people who walk thier small dogs on collars. This person needs to do some serious research
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 10:23am PST 
Ok, so I am not over reacting. Being a dog nut, I realize that other people don't go above and beyond for their dogs. I thought this went a bit beyond treating a dog as a dog. I am composing an email in my head to send to this person. They are rehoming the dog, so obviously they realize it doesn't fit their lifestyle, to say the least. This person is located 45 minutes from my home and if I wasn't visiting out of town, I would be begging hubby to go get the poor thing.cry I think I am going to send them a tactful email maybe with a link about Chihuahua's for the time it remains in their care.

ETA have now sent infomative, chatty email. I bet I will get blasted . I don't care, I just had to speak up.

Edited by author Wed Dec 29, '10 10:37am PST

[notify]

Todd

Get to close and- I just might- kiss you

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 11:03am PST 
Ok I have dial up and can't get it to load. I think there are too many people out there who think a dog is a dog is a dog. Now I have no problems leaving my poms out in the snow but a chi?shock And again with the collar it comes down to lack of knowledge and people learning nothing about the breed they intend on getting before purchasing it. I would have never known about the collar if i hadn't done research first.
[notify]
Luka

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 11:37am PST 
I started out with Luka on a harness (because of trachea issues, etc) and my trainer told me she preferred no harnesses in training class, so I got her a collar. She doesn't pull...
She is about 10 lbs. Should I only be using a harness?
[notify]
Todd

Get to close and- I just might- kiss you

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 12:40pm PST 
I don't know much about your breed so don't know if they have trachea issuesshrug
[notify]
Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Fri Dec 31, '10 7:59pm PST 
I think there is nothing wrong with putting a collar on and walking your dog with it as long as your dog doesn't pull and you don't leave your dog unattended with it on. Even indoors, a dog can catch themselves on any object and strangle itself. I personally put on buckle collar to hold the tags when we go outside and we use a slip leash for walking in the winter since I put a coat on for the cold. In the warmer weather I use a harness as it is easier for me to catch him and correct any unwanted behavior when we go to the park. We also go hiking and I would hate to have him get caught in something with his collar on. Harnesses, if not the ones that attach on the front, actually promote pulling. They do sell self release collars that release if they get caught on something. No dog should be left unmonitored outside in cold weather and should not be tied up. I think that with proper attire based on breed, a single coated breed vs a double coated, a dog can be let out in a fenced area for limited amounts of time. That can be deemed animal cruelty.

ON a more hopeful note I really hope this was just done to take a picture but looking at the size of that lead (looks way too heavy for that little dog. 5 lb's!) I can't help but be alarmed.
[notify]
Boston

King of- everything

Barked: Sat Jan 1, '11 7:42am PST 
My dogs are walked with collars never had a problem they listen alot better. BUT a chi in the snow tied up like that to me that looks sad. frown
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sat Jan 1, '11 9:11am PST 
Rocky and Boston, those were my thoughts as well. Tied up on a *chain* and in the snowshock I did email them and they didnt email me back. Lots of people around here looking for small dogs, so I hope it gets a better home soon.

Edited to change posting dog

Edited by author Sat Jan 1, '11 9:12am PST

[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sat Jan 1, '11 9:38am PST 
There was someone on Kijiji in a different city looking for a Chihuahua to spoil, bring in the car, and be a playmate for their current Chi. I sent them an email about the one in the snow.smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2