GO!

Snow

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Lynnette

Bigger is Better

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 9:11pm PST 
Okay, so my dogs aren't exactly "little", but I think this question applies to all dogs. When it snows, should I put boots on the dogs? We are in the north, so it snows, but very rarely. Maybe 1-2 times a year. I am just wondering, since my dogs are not use to snow on the ground. I don't want them to get frostbite on their toes or even be uncomfortable. Do you use boots on your dogs? I don't know if they would be big enough for my size of dogs (110, 150, 200 lbs), but I would be willing to order them.
[notify]
Oliver- Lambchop- Loeser

Cuddle ME!!

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 9:19pm PST 
It all depends on how you think so or not, I put booties on Ollie when it snows & rains, but that is because his feet very dirty when they become wet. If you decide to get booties, I reccommend Muttluks, and for size you will have to measure your dogs' feet, they might have your size, you have to look into that one.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 2:29pm PST 
I put boots on Kit in the winter. The road salt that my town puts down on our sidewalks and streets hurts his paws, so as soon as the salt goes down in the winter I start putting Kits boots on. If I take him out in the winter without his boots he's starts limping.
[notify]

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 4:47pm PST 
Milton probably should be wearing boots. I had him try some on and getting them on his feet was a challenge. He walked like a cat with tape on it's feet and then bit the boots off.
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 8:09am PST 
My guys big and small wont wear them. My little guys wont walk in snow anyway and we are totally snowed in--no walks for even the big guys now for five days the snow is just too high and we cant get our car out at all. So they have just used the bark yard We are snow bound and bored

Id look online though, they make dog boots for all sizes.
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 8:10am PST 
My guys big and small wont wear them. My little guys wont walk in snow anyway and we are totally snowed in--no walks for even the big guys now for five days the snow is just too high and we cant get our car out at all. So they have just used the bark yard We are snow bound and bored

Id look online though, they make dog boots for all sizes.
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 11:05am PST 
No boots for mine we live on a dirt road so no salt and they are pretty good at letting us know when they've had enough.
[notify]
Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Fri Dec 31, '10 8:05pm PST 
We had burns and blisters on our front paws from the NYC salt. We use Mutttluks as well, and they surprisingly stay on. He won't move in them indoors, only to go outside but once out he will walk and he will run around and play in the park and the yard. He used to walk funny in them too but he got used to them. He might still look funny the first couple of minutes but then walks fine. I just won't risk it anymore. We are visiting in NYC but when we are upstate I am a bit more lenient and will put paw wax on his feet and let him out for some running in the yard and potty breaks but anything that involves pavement, parks, roads, salt or walks, on go the booties.
[notify]