GO!

Min pin... with spots on his tongue like a chow??

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Razz

I\'m a little- thief x3

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 9:32am PST 
Ok, this is something i've been wondering about ever sinse me and my sister got our min pin. We got him from a really great show breeder. she was going to show him but she let us have him instead smile Well, he has purple spots on his tongue like a chow. He's had them ever sinse we got him. Is that normal for min pins? And do you think that would be a fault in a show? Maybe that's why she let us buy him instead of her showing him. lol!
[notify]
Luna

Lemme at 'em!

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 10:15am PST 
Nope, it's not a fault nor a DQ in show for minpins to have spots on their tongues.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 10:40am PST 
Spots on the tongue are just variations in skin pigment. Any dog of any breed can have them.

Chows do always have an entirely blue tongue, so somewhere along the line someone took that to mean "any dog with any blue on their tongue must be part Chow." For whatever reason, the idea totally took off, even though it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you get down to the science of it.

When I see a medium-sized, stocky, densely-furred mix breed that has a blue tongue, I do assume it's probably a Chow mix because it carries a lot of the breed's traits. There are a lot of "Chow mixes" out there, though, that have nothing Chow about them at all, except for a blue spot on the tongue.
[notify]

Fynnigan

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 10:51am PST 
Thank you for that correction Vance, I was just about to take care of that myself smile

Fynny has a single spot smack dab in the middle of his tongue, goes through to the bottom and then under his jaw in the exact same spot is a black fur spot. Looks like someone speared him tongue through jaw with a black marker.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 2:32pm PST 
If you check Bunny's last profile pic and look very carefully, you will see that he has purple spots on his tongue as well. His breed profile is only a guess, but Chow doesn't seem too likelywink
[notify]
Oliver- Lambchop- Loeser

Cuddle ME!!

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 4:45pm PST 
Ollie has a black spot on the very tip of his tongue, it's the cutest thing ever, and as Vance said, it can show up in any breed, it all has to do with skin pigment.
[notify]