GO!

Teacup Dogs

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Joann

Butt Spots

Barked: Fri Nov 26, '10 12:36am PST 
Are there really such things as "teacup" breeds. I always hear teacup chihuahua, pomeranian, yorkie, maltese, poodle, etc. What does teacup actually mean? Does it mean the dog is smaller than the breed standard? That's always what I thought it meant. But, if a Chihuahua is "teacup" then wouldn't that mean a 1 lb dog!?! I just don't get it. Why are so many people trying to make small dogs even smaller? I've seen the word "teacup" even on some show breeder websites, which really has me worried.
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Fri Nov 26, '10 2:59am PST 
"Teacup" is basically dog-world slang. It means a very small specimen of dog regardless of breed, think about 6 pounds and under. It is not included in any breed standard and of course, a dog of such tiny size is subject to any number of health issues.

But they're zomg cute so certain unscrupulous souls strive for them in their breeding programs to meet the demand of folks who are attracted to the adorableness of an eensy dog.

So for people who say "grrrr teacup isn't a REAL anything," they are technically right, but it is also a convenient shorthand for "holy crap teensy." And even more convenient, for people like most of us on Dogster, who are concerned about responsible breeding practices and suchlike, it's a great way to weed out crappy breeders who clearly don't give a crumb about the wider consequences of their actions or the long term health of their puppies. You know if someone's using the term "teacup," especially as a selling point, they are almost certainly useless as a breeder.
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Nov 26, '10 7:45am PST 
I understand the term 'teacup' to mean a 'small breed runt'.

And if someone is breeding for that...silenced

Good breeders discount runts, not market them.
[notify]

The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Fri Nov 26, '10 1:54pm PST 
My understanding of Teacup is that they are more concerned with the size of the pup so they are breeding for that. I would never buy a pup from someone who used those words. My biggest concern is they breed small males to small females. I mean like 3lb females.
[notify]
Angel, CGC

Throw the- ball!!!

Barked: Sat Nov 27, '10 6:04pm PST 
Don't discount 3 lbs, it is included in some breed standards. Breed standard for a pom is 3-7.

teacup does not mean a specific weight or size, but rather refers to dogs under standard size and weight. Not desirable.
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sat Nov 27, '10 6:14pm PST 
I'm know the standard is 3-7 i'm just saying alot of unscrupulous breeders breed to small females that shouldn't be bred.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Sat Nov 27, '10 6:14pm PST 
Teacup is just a marketing term used by questionable breeders who are breeding and selling dogs that are under standard size (ie. runts)

Of course, even in litters bred by reputable breeders there can be variation in size, but those particular dogs are simply sold as "pet quality" pups since they don't fall within the standard.
[notify]
Emma

Barked: Sat Jan 22, '11 12:22pm PST 
We use the term "teacup" to describe my chihuahua Emma because really that's the best way to describe her she's beyound tiny weighing in at 1.14 lbs. She wasn't the runt of the litter infact the breeder thought she'd be around 3lbs we have gotten 3 other dogs from the same breeder and the are all around 4 lbs. Emma just was tiny and she never grew. As far as health issues she doesn't really have any she had some problems with her teeth but we had them taken care of when we had her fixed.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Sat Jan 22, '11 3:48pm PST 
Teacup is nothing more than a marketing term. Same as "Tiny Toy" and "Pocket size". I'm not sure who the first person to use the term was, but it's used a lot by backyard breeders and puppy mills to describe any small dog under standard. And by some just to describe any small dog. (Seriously. I once had a woman tell me her 10 lb chihuahua was a teacup. I had to leave the room because my tongue was nearly bleeding from trying to bite down to prevent my laughter.) I understand that most people mean no harm when they say their dog is a "teacup", but having seen what such purposeful breedings can do to the small breeds I love, I don't like it. It's probably one of my biggest pet peeves in fact. (A certain yorkshire terrier that was FAR beneath standard comes to mind. Poor dog was probably one of the most unhealthy dogs I've ever known.) Most "teacups" are runts... sometimes bred from other runts... sometimes bred from runts before even that. To get the smallest dog possible. Obviously, such a practice is something you wouldn't see a responsible breeding doing. I think a lot of normal people, though, just use the word unknowingly. Or like was already mentioned, as slang. To describe a really tiny dog. But technically, no, there is no such thing as a teacup dog. A 1 lb pomeranian is merely under the standard. And not by much, when you really think about it. shrug

Don't discount 3 lbs, it is included in some breed standards. Breed standard for a pom is 3-7.

Well, yes... but in small breeds, you don't wanna breed a really small female.

Edited by author Sat Jan 22, '11 3:51pm PST

[notify]
Echo

mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Sat Jan 22, '11 4:27pm PST 
I had always been under the impression that "teacup" sized dogs could fit into a teacup. red face What really cemented that thought into my head was one time I was visiting someones home and this TINY chihuahua puppy came running up to me. Honestly, I thought it was a gerbil at first...shock
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2