GO!

Picking up small dogs

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Nov 13, '10 9:06pm PST 
Small dogs often look so cute and cuddly! Some people can't resist picking them up. This one time I saw a little chihuahua outside a real estate office wearing a sweater. I tried to picked the dog up and he bit me before I even got him off the ground. Lesson learned. I can't blame the dog, he acted in self defense as I was an unknown stranger.

People sometimes will pick up Milton with out asking. It kind of bothers me, but at least Milton does not react in an aggressive manner. I have a friend who has a dog 5 pounds heavier than Milton. He's just as cute. People will try to pick him up with out asking. He does not like it and will bite.

People don't go around picking up larger dogs. Maybe the dog bite statistics would be bigger if they did. It's not a good idea to pick up a strange little dog. Leaning over the dog is an intimidating posture and could result in the dog behaving defensive. Not all dogs tolerate strangers picking them up.
[notify]
Buckeye

Eat, Sleep &- Play! Yes, Life- is Good!

Barked: Sat Nov 13, '10 9:23pm PST 
I know what you mean! I have two medium-large dogs. Brutus is about 41 pounds and Buckeye is around 50. I don't have to worry about people picking them up, BOL!
However, there is a Toy Poodle in our neighborhood who really gets mad when a stranger trys to pick her up. She is SUCH a sweet dog. I have never seen her get angry at anyone. One time, I was about to pick her up, and she turned around and just growled at me. Lesson learned: don't pick up a dog without asking. I didn't really expect her to react that way, but now I always ask whether I can pick up someone's dog or not.
[notify]
Sadie and- Oakley

Twice the dog ~- Twice the- trouble :p

Barked: Sat Nov 13, '10 11:52pm PST 
I agree i hate when people think its ok to pick up my smal pups and squeeze them to death when in reality all they asked was just to pet them. My two tolerate and will give kisses, but sometimes at home Sadie will give a low growl when my brothers pick her up when she doesn;t want to (they kind of deserve it they are too pick up and cuddle and bother them with them as it is) and i dont want that to happen in public specially since it is a lot of small children who will do it without asking and they will hold them in a very uncomfortable position while their parents just stand by chatting away with a friend so i have to be the parent and tell them to put my dog down she doesnt like that
[notify]

The Wee- Beasties

The Wee 3 are- now the Wee 7!!!

Barked: Sun Nov 14, '10 10:10am PST 
If people approach us in public, I usually pick my dogs up myself. One, to keep them from jumping up on anyone and two, to keep them from getting accidentally stepped on. But this gives me another reason to hold them...especially around children.

Some people don't take the time to teach their children how to approach someone else's dog. I've had kids try to pick up my dog, try to take the leash out of MY hand (grr) or try to pull the dog out of my arms so they could hold them - none of which I've allowed to happen. Most of my dogs don't care for children, so this is a pretty big problem since I'd most certainly get blamed if anything were to happen.

I had one lady get a bit huffy and say "she just want's to hold your dog" to which I replied "if some stranger's child came up to you and grabbed YOUR baby from YOUR arms, would you let them? I think not!" She just sputtered at that. I told her she needs to teach her child about appropriate dog handling and walked away.

I did, however, have one sweet little girl (maybe 6 yrs old) come up and ask if she could pet Peaches. When I had to say no, because Peach is a bit mean, she was very sweet and just said "aw, that's sad because she's very pretty." then she thanked me and she and her dad walked away. I was stunned!
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Sun Nov 14, '10 5:37pm PST 
I do what Beasties does and pick Nicky up before someone tries to touch him. They wouldn't have a hand if they tried to pick him up!
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sun Nov 14, '10 5:42pm PST 
Never had anyone attempt to pick Missy up. A totally bad idea though for anyone who does attempt to do that to others dogs!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Sun Nov 14, '10 8:30pm PST 
I've had someone try to pick Jewel up by pulling on her front legs. An adult woman with dogs of her own not that much bigger than Jewel. shock And then she didn't understand why I didn't want her to do that! Geeze lady lay down on the sidewalk and I'll pull you around by your arms and see how you like it. She may only be 8.5 pounds but that's her correct weight that's what her joints are MADE to support so it IS a big deal to drag that amount of weight into the air by her legs.

Of course this is the same woman that is SURE Jewel's growing even thought I've told her 3 times Jewel had puppies before I adopted her and is at her full size. laugh out loud
[notify]
Boston

King of- everything

Barked: Mon Nov 15, '10 5:37am PST 
No one has picked mine up probably because they run before they can catch them they are fast and then they leap up for me to catch them bol!! The only kids Boston will put up with are my nieces and nephews. Its funny though I can tell he is not happy but if he does something mean he knows he will get it. Lesson number one though when picking up a small dog they are small you are a giant to them so if you rush at them to pick them up it scares them. Crouch down to their level and let them sniff you first and then when they seem comfortable then pick them up. You are a giant stranger to them and that is scary.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Mon Nov 15, '10 6:38am PST 
Bol Boston Kit does that too! He's friendly towards strangers but if they try to pick him up he books it and runs to me or my fiance.

Kit isn't a huge fan of being picked up. He allows my fiance and I to do it, and even asks us to pick him up sometimes, but he doesn't like when strangers try it. He'll tolerate it from people he knows, like my fiance's sister when she visits, but the look on his face is priceless. He just really doesn't enjoy it.

I try not to pick him up a lot unless he asks me too. I don't like to invade his space like that.
[notify]
Sasha

Miss Diva to- you!!

Barked: Mon Nov 15, '10 11:28am PST 
I always tell people when they start to approach me and I have Sasha, that she is not very fond of strangers and to let her approach you before you attempt to pet her. If its Gizmo I don't say anything but if they start to pick him up I say please don't pick up my dog without asking me. Most of the kids around here are pretty good about asking to pet them, I let them pet Gizmo but I usually don't let people pet Sasha unless she goes up to them and wants them to. She is grouchy, but has gotten better so more people get to pet her now dancing.
I would never go pick up someone's dog because I live with a grouchy dog, you never know laugh out loud Sasha is tolerant of kids that she knows, like my little cousins, but she gives me a look like "this is ridiculous and I am not a happy camper." It's hilarious, but she knows that if she growls or snaps she will get in trouble laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2