GO!

Don't want to breed!

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Gunther

Muffin Lips.

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 7:57am PST 
Good for you for staying firm in what you believe, and while Quin is a definite cutie, she isn't breeding quality. It breaks my heart to see how many Pom mixes there are in the shelters and rescues around here because of BYBs and Puppymills capitalizing on how adorable they are, especially when young. Maybe your friend should get into conformation or showing first if she's interested in breeding?
[notify]
Bianca

Graceful as a- moose

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 3:36pm PST 
I strongly encourage being honest, especially if you want to maintain some sort of friendship with this person in the future. Making up stories is going to be hard to continue in the long run, and if they ever find out you lied . . . well, it's probably going to be a lot worse than just being honest to begin with. The problem is not going to go away, and is likely to be more difficult the longer you stall, so you should probably discuss it with her as soon as you feel ready.

It sounds like you've done some of your own research on breeding, which has led you to your current choice (which is a good one). Share with her what you know and what you've learned. Tell her you enjoy letting the dogs play together, but breeding just isn't something you are ready for. Tell her that when you discussed it the first time you didn't realize it was a serious discussion, and although you think the puppies would be cute, you really don't want to breed your dog.

If her dog is breeding quality, offer to help do research and find someone who does want to breed. Or if she really wants another puppy, offer to help her find a reputable breeder or rescue to work with.

Do not feel bad about saying "no." It's your dog, and since you own the female, you will be responsible for whelping and raising the litter (not to mention, most of the cost). That's a lot to ask of someone else, the other person is the one who should feel guilty about pressuring you into it. You don't have to put your dog's life and health at risk just to avoid offending someone. If she can't respect your decision, that's her problem.
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 5:26pm PST 
I believe strongly in only breeding dogs that meet the standard. Why else would you even BREED an dog except to maintain the breed? I've had someone suggest I should breed Abner (He's fixed) because the puppies would be cute. What?!Abner is an obvious mutt, and I'm not sure what they think these puppies would look like. If I bred him with a basset then he'd produce some more basset-y puppies and if I went the other way they might not be so short and huggable.

I'd tell your friend sooner than later. It's just like with any plan.... If someone lets you think it's going to happen for a long time, it's a lot more annoying for them to break said plan, rather than if they were just upfront.

Tell her there are plenty of toys in shelters. =) Tell her friends to check petfinder. Seriously.
[notify]

Gypsy,CGC,TD- I

Did you say you- need a new- queen?

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 9:27pm PST 
Maybe let the lady who has the list going to send them all to look up small dogs on Petfinder.
There are lots of small dogs- even adorable puppies- looking for forever homes, and you won't be adding to the numbers.
[notify]
Gunther

Muffin Lips.

Barked: Thu Feb 10, '11 6:52am PST 
Agreed, Gypsy!
[notify]
Quinn

The sock thief!

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 1:04pm PST 
I haven't checked this in a long time but Quinn was spayed. smile I am so glad I did it.

As for the lady I haven't really been running into her as often as I use to. However, I saw her the other day at the dog park and she informed me she had just bred her dog. I cringed especially when I realized how little she knows and how her dog hasn't been checked for anything. I gave her a bunch of advice, and told her to talk to her vet. shrug
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3