GO!

Okay to apply anti-itch cream?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sat Sep 4, '10 2:06pm PST 
So Treader just keeps scratching at the sores he got from the flea thing a couple of months ago so they can't heal.
Fortunately his "comfy cone" came in today, but he's still able to scratch at the sores at the back of his front legs.
Would applying some Equate "hydrdocortisone" anti-itch cream to them be alright? With the cone collar he shouldn't be able to lick it off.
[notify]
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Dirt is a girls- best friend!

Barked: Thu Sep 9, '10 2:01am PST 
Yes, you can use hydrocortisone cream on your dog. However, it should not be used on diabetic dogs because it is a steroid and that messes with their blood sugar levels. I use Aveeno Active Naturals Overnight Itch Relief Cream on Sachi because it is non-steroidal.

Here is a list of human medications that can also be helpful to dogs. It says that hydrocortisone cream should only be used twice a day.

I also found this information about aloe vera and it sounds like it would be much more helpful than hydrocortisone cream. I'm going to try it on Sachi.
[notify]
Birdie

Little King of- Everything

Barked: Sat Sep 18, '10 8:47am PST 
Birdie had good results with Sulfodene shampoo and Sulfodene first aid skin medication. You can find it at Petsmart and other big box pet stores.

Sulfodene is made from coal tar, an old tried-and-true treatment for skin ailments.
[notify]

Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Wed Sep 29, '10 12:15am PST 
Try Earthbath Tea Tree Oil and Aloe shampoo. Allee is dealing with her flea allergy thing lately due to her preventative not working the whole month the past two months. This shampoo helps a lot.

Also, we use Petfection Spray. It is natural and really helps as well.
[notify]