GO!

Recovery for spaying procedure

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Juliette- Rose

Mama's Girl

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 12:49pm PST 
My puppy just got spayed today and I am so worried about her healing process. This is my first time dealing with this procedure. Any tips on how to aid recovery for her?
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 1:53pm PST 
The vet should have given you instructions.frown

She needs to be kept quiet--no running and jumping, limited potty walks only--until the stitches come out, which should be about ten days. She can't have a bath until then because the incision has to be kept dry.

You need to make sure she leaves the incision alone, because if she licks at it she could cause an infection or rip some of the stitches out.

She has just had major abdominal surgery; the vet ought to have given you pain meds for her. Good pain management HELPS healing, and reduces the risk of complications.

Most dogs do just fine after spay surgery, and are more likely to want to resume normal playing too soon than to have a slow or difficult recovery. Just don't let her kid you about it being okay to play before the stitches come out!
[notify]
MattieMay

Agility Diva!

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 3:14pm PST 
She will be sleepy and lethargic for about 24 hours. She may whine when she first tries to pee or poop. I hope you have some pain meds from the vet. If not, call back and ask to pick it up. After the first day, she will start trying to lick the incision and you do not want to let her. I used baby onesies suit (cut a small hole for the tail) so that my girls couldn't lick. You snap it up with the tail through the hole. Take it off so she can potty when necessary. Try to keep her quiet and no running or jumping for a few days. I kept a leash on mine so she could be near me. Look at the incision so you know what it looks like. Check it daily for any extra bleeding, redness, or swelling. After the third day you can use Gold Bond Triple Strength Medicated powder on the incision to reduce itching, keep it dry, and prevent infection. Don't let your pup lick the powder! Here's a picture of my dog in her onesie!

onesie suit
[notify]

Gigi Chalena

My Sunshine!

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 5:10pm PST 
Mattie May, I love that idea! so much better then the elizabeth collar!

Gigi will be spayed next month, and I am going to pick up a couple of them. Thanks!snoopy
[notify]
Juliette- Rose

Mama's Girl

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 6:45pm PST 
thanks for the infoo guys..she came home with pain meds and is still quite groggy so the collar isnt bothering her yet. But I love the onesie idea..I have to try that because I know once she regains strength she is gonna hate that. I also gave her some water and a piece of turkey bc the vet said for the first few days she wont want to eat her dogfood. I hope the healing process goes quickly because it kills me to see her this waycry
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 7:52pm PST 
I am sure everything will go well. Its a pretty routine procedure. Daisy was groggy when I brought her home. I never got a collar thingy for her they never even mentioned it. But she was really good and never even seemed to bother with her incision. Thats one thing I like about dogs you say no they listen cats well they will do what they want bol! The hardest part was keeping her quiet. Next morning she was NUTS! Before I knew it she was running around jumping up and down. She never managed to hurt herself though. So try your best to keep her quiet. They heal pretty fast.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 8:58pm PST 
Arrgh! I wish I'd known about onesies, Jewel's getting spayed tomorrow. Maybe I can pick some up tomorrow.
[notify]
Rickards

I'll always love- you...

Barked: Tue Aug 17, '10 4:32pm PST 
Instead of the collar I would buy a onesie. I had to get one for Rickards because Skyline kept trying to lick his incision. The onesie worked great for keeping both of them away from it until it healed.
This is Rickards wearing hissmile
Rickards Onesie

Edited by author Tue Aug 17, '10 4:35pm PST

[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Wed Aug 18, '10 7:51am PST 
Reminder - Most dogs don't start licking their incisions until 7 or more days after the surgery. Healing causes irritation which in turn causes itchies!! Many times dogs are really good about not licking early on so people forget and then they cause more damage right before they are healed completly!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Aug 18, '10 8:35am PST 
I just picked up Jewel from her spay, here they keep them over-night, is that not what they do for you guys? She wasn't groggy at all. She was like, let's go let's go let's go.
I bought a couple of onesie, but I didn't know what size to get her! I got one three month and one six month and just hope one fits her when the time comes. So far she tried to lick it twice but stopped when I told her to so it must not be bothering her much.

Edited by author Wed Aug 18, '10 8:36am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2