GO!

Small Dog Syndrome Article?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 49)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Mazzy

S-S-S-SQUIRREEEL- LLL!!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 12:01am PST 
It's hard to come onto a 'size specific' forum and tell what you've personally experienced if it happens to be perceived as negative to that 'size' of dog. I don't think Laila's comments were to be mean or negative to small dogs as a generalization but just to say what he/she has personally experienced is that around them more small dogs are poorly trained and managed than larger ones. I have to say that, at least in my area, it also holds true that the small dogs are significantly more reactive (negatively) than the large dogs. Does that mean all small dogs are terrible and all large dogs are great? Absolutely not. But it IS to say that my personal experience has been the same as Laila's and that even the small dog owners I know personally (as opposed to the strangers I meet with little dogs barking incessantly at me and Mazzy, or nipping, or running at us, etc) tend to disregard those bad behaviors simply because the dog is small and "can't really do any harm".

Obviously there are good 'small dog' owners that DO train their little dogs proper commands and not to jump up, nip, etc, but I don't think it's a stretch of reality at all to say that, especially today with the popularity of small breeds, you find many owners who have this "it's small and can't hurt anyone so ~shrug~" attitude/laziness regarding their small pups.

Again, this is just what I personally experience on a regular basis, just as Laila seems (to me) to be saying. I have had two large dogs run at me in my lifetime: one when I was a kid riding my bike and a bully breed chased me down the street, and a second time while walking a poodle (a well behaved poodle smile ) and a Great Dane ran at us, snatched up the poodle, and did some serious damage to it requiring a body cast. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have had more than I can count regarding small dogs running at me and Maz, barking at us, nipping at Mazzy's face, and trying to put their front paws on her back to show dominance (Mazzy's submissive so that's not a big deal, just annoying).

As for the reactions of owners to these situations, here is my personal experience: One large herding dog attacked Maz once and gave her a few puncture wounds in her face and the owner of that dog freaked and pulled their dog off her and corrected their dog, as SHOULD be the reaction if your dog attacks another. Mazzy has been nipped in the face by several little dogs and the owners always (that I have experienced) brush it off and do nothing about it as it's happening since their dog is "too small to hurt my large dog". I'm betting Mazzy doesn't like being bitten in the face regardless what size the dog is that does it.

Again, this is not at all to say that every small dog owner in the world doesn't take the time to train and/or correct negative behaviors, but I think what it really boils down to is that big dog owners have more to loose if their dog is "bad". If a large dog bites someone or another dog there is a decent possibility that that large dog owner will be sued and the dog possibly put to sleep. If a large dog lunges and runs at will there is a decent chance the owner will not be able to hold the leash. A small dog trying to run is easy to control on a leash and so the owner may not feel as great a need to correct the behavior since any jerk of the leash is going to stop a ten pound dog in it's tracks. A large dog barking incessantly scares people and is very VERY loud and so an owner might feel more of a need to correct that (or be pushed to do so by annoyed neighbors) where as a small dog barking scares no one - if worse came to worse, any human knows they could simply kick it, IF it came to that, to get the dog away - and so that small dog owner again might not feel as strong a need to correct the issue, or feel as pressured into doing so. If my dog attacks a little dog, the little dog owner may (and has every right to) take legal action because my dog WILL cause more damage to that small dog. If the opposite happens, Mazzy might be annoyed or even slightly hurt (by a well placed bite) but she's going to be fine and I certainly am not going to waste my time or that of the police to file a report about it. So for the simple fact that a large dog can do so much more damage and/or cause so much greater fear (in the case of chasing), I think it is just a natural reaction to feel more strongly about training your large dog than your small one (for the "lazy" owner - as someone else properly labeled them). The obvious down side of that 'disregard' concerning small dog behavior is that you can (and in my area DO) have many MANY poorly behaved small dogs.

Edited by author Tue Aug 17, '10 4:47pm PST

Approved by forums moderator
nina

little- dog big- life

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 9:52am PST 
i haven't got the time to read through this thread at the moment, but i definitely will later as i see there are some really interesting POVs posted!
i did comment about that article the first day it came out..
my biggest question was
WHO IS THE AUTHOR?
because it appears to be some copy writing from an anon advertising team..not an accredited trainer or behaviorist..at least no one seems to have attached their name to it?? shrug
personally, i thought it was pure tripe.
yes, little dogs can take advantage of you.
so will any dogs..let's face it we are greedy pigs! way to go
but for me personally..
i would never emphasize the 'rule your roost' atmosphere or promote a confrontational method of training with any dog!
work as a team together and rejoice as lightbulbs of enlightenment burst over your heads like firecrackers on the 4th of july!
don't get into a pi**ing match with a little dog..they can be a little nervous and pushy to begin with..treat each other with respect. you are best friends not chief and follower..sometimes there will be small disagreements as with ALL friendships. sometimes better ignored, sometimes resolved, sometimes agree to disagree! smile
i have been asked every single morning for the last 2 years not to steal swigs of my mommy's coffee when she leaves her cup unattended for a moment..well guess what? that aint happening! big grin
until somebody puts a name on that plop..how can we discuss the article's merits?
are we really going to follow the advise of some guy who sells mightydog? red face
*will read back tonight if i get time pals!
kittykitty
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 10:45am PST 
So many posts i agree with here, don't know where to start.

I agree with Bingley that if anyone is to say something negative about pitbulls, or any other breed commonly targeted with a "bad rep" everyone jumps on the bandwagon stating the reasons why you shouldn't be saying anything negative blah blah but yet some people feel it is ok to stereotype small breeds/types of dogs? Where is the fairness in that? In my experience at least, i've never met an out of control, spoilt little dog. All have been well trained, mix with all sizes of dogs and are not "brats" in any way shape or form. It's kind of ridiculous for people to claim that small dogs can get away with more then larger dogs, i have seen exactly the opposite! The amount of times i've been jumped up at by a huge Lab with muddy paws, or seen larger dogs hounding smaller dogs is incredible!

The other day for instance i posted in the Behaviour forum about an irresponsible owner of an Akita x GSD who let her dog constantly hound Missy! She thought it was funny to see Missy trying to snap and lunge at her dog and there really was no consideration from her part even though i had told her Missy doesn't like other dogs. Because she was small she was not seen as a threat and therefore this lady was not going to move her dog who she openly admitted "can take care of herself" away from Missy. This dog was rude with little to no training and/or dog to dog skills. That doesn't mean i go around claiming all large dogs are this way.

Tubby, i also agree with you. If only more people would have respect and consideration for those of us with DA or reactive dogs. Sadly we are seen to be the problem in every aspect and i'm sick and tired of having to explain that i did nothing wrong in Missy's upbringing. I'm also sick of being looked at as the person who doesn't or can't train/control her dog. Missy is actually very obedient and her behaviour has nothing to do with training or control.

Also have to agree with all of Addy's posts applause
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 11:15am PST 
Oh and just to take this comment from Laila -

anyway this dog was indulged so much (throwing the ball for barking and jumping up was a huge one) and I really do believe that the cuteness factor DID play an important role

And that's just because the dog was small? Or rather the owner would have most likely allowed any size dog to get away with this behaviour?

Tyler barks at me constantly for a ball or stick to be thrown. He's not a small dog and i've never obliged his barking and demanding behaviour by throwing the ball or stick. I hide it behind my back ask him to be quiet and sit and if he continues the game finishes. Missy who is ball and stick obsessed is quiet as a lamb, sitting beside me waiting for me to throw the ball or stick. On holiday back in April, walking along the beach a Lab and some kind of Collie cross walked by with their owners and what was they doing? yep, bark, bark, bark at the guy for him to throw the dogs ball.

Edited by author Mon Aug 9, '10 11:16am PST

[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 12:54pm PST 
I think the title and alot of the article is a load of crap. I am a large dog owner, to be honest I have never owned a small dog. But my question to some of you posters, where the heck do you live that you run into all these bad small dogs?????? Where we live, the people who have small dogs are the ones that make sure their dog are secured, not because they are spoiling them, they are good at protecting them! It's the large dogs, labs, houla's etc. that are the ones chasing us down the street and running into our yard. The big dogs are the one's with the owner who yells "don't worry, he's nice". I wish their owners would do a better job of protecting them because they are the ones that get run over or shot.
As far as training, when my last dal was in agility, most of the dogs in her class were small dogs, same in all her obedience classes. So I don't understand the comments about the lack of training shrug
Small dogs - big dogs, doesn't matter, what it comes down to is good owner vs bad owner IMHO. I truly believe there are no bad dogs only bad owners, no matter what size.
[notify]
Dogster HQ

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 2:20pm PST 
Hi,

We have closed this thread. Threads can be closed temporarily or permanently for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are: the thread has gone off topic; the thread is not in the 'spirit' of Dogster; the thread is no longer fun, friendly or informational; the thread has been discussed at length in other threads; or we cannot provide adequate moderation at this time.

Please let HQ know if you have any questions.

HQ

Dogster HQ

Hi,

We have closed this thread. Threads can be closed temporarily or permanently for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are: the thread has gone off topic; the thread is not in the 'spirit' of Dogster; the thread is no longer fun, friendly or informational; the thread has been discussed at length in other threads; or we cannot provide adequate moderation at this time.

Please let HQ know if you have any questions.

HQ

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

And all the "my dog is FRIENDLY!" off-leash dogs at the on-leash nature reserve are always, always, always big dog, sometimes with good manners, sometimes not.

Addy, you've gone on and on about why saying this kind of stuff about small dogs is offensive... so why, then, do you feel you need to make a comment like this about large dogs?

I realize you're trying to make a point, but isn't everyone who's mentioned being harassed by small dogs doing the same thing? Why is ok for you to say the only dogs you've ever been harassed/scared of were large GSDs (apparently), but its not ok for someone else to say the only dogs that have bothered them were small?

You say you're offended? Well, I'm offended too. Thanks.
[notify]
Mazzy

S-S-S-SQUIRREEEL- LLL!!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 2:29pm PST 
Addy,

I stated plainly why it is that bad behavior would be more tolerated in small dogs than large ones. I did not "react" in any way. I gave a rationale as to why the owners of small dogs that I know, as well as those stranger's dogs I've met might dismiss their small dog's bad behaviors while they would do just the opposite if my larger dog were to act the same way.

I wasn't rude but you certainly were. I wasn't "reactive" but you clearly are. I think a rational discussion on the topic is certainly in-line with this thread, while simply saying "not all little dogs are that way" adds nothing to the conversation. We ALL know that not ALL little dogs are that way. The discussion however, is about this article and why someone(s) would see little dogs in this light.

It is not my "fault" that I've experienced significantly more little dogs with poor behavior. It's the fault of the owners who don't train them. I've given reasons why I believe this happens and I think those reasons are thought out and rational. As for someone coming onto a thread and saying they've experienced very poorly behaved Dobermans, I'd have to tell them that I'm sorry that's been their experience and that it has not been mine. I'd likely use the same reasons Samson mentioned as to why a 'tough' breed would attract a poor dog owner - rational, well thought out reasoning. Period. I wouldn't attack them personally and basically call them a liar. Again, that adds absolutely nothing to the conversation. I'd accept that their experience has been negative with the Doberman Pinscher and discuss the potential reasons why just as I have on this thread.

Edited by moderator Sun Aug 22, '10 10:02pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 49)  
1  2  3  4  5