GO!

small dog dentition

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Wed Aug 4, '10 11:04am PST 
I have a teeth question! Nicky is a 14 pound Pom and he has awesome very nice and complete dentition. However, I noticed that on Paris, an 8 pound Silky, it seems that she is missing the first 2-3 pre-molars on each side of her lower jaw (possibly upper too but I can never get a good look at it). Is this normal for small breeds? I know they can lose teeth easily due to decay, but is it common for them to naturally be missing some as well? Thanks!
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Aug 4, '10 1:02pm PST 
Sarah is missing the same tooth on each side of her lower jaw. It's the one right before the GIANT tooth (is that a premolar?). I never saw her lose it, so I'm assuming she was born without them. I was born without one permanent premolar on each side of my lower jaw. If it happens in humans, I guess it can happen in dogs?
[notify]
Isabelle

Tougher than I- look!! :)

Barked: Thu Aug 5, '10 6:57am PST 
In Chinese Cresteds, dentition is linked to coat. Nakeds, like me, can be missing several teeth, but powderpuffs typically have a full set of teeth. And a couple of mine are coming in crosswise, but as it doesn't seem to slow me down at all, Momma's taking a 'wait and see' view of it right now.
[notify]