GO!

Small dogs in agility

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 2:48pm PST 
Wow, this is really interesting to me because I know one of the local trainers offers an agility for fun class that I was thinking of taking Jewel to after obedience class because she's always jumping up the deck. Now I'll have to think about it.
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 7:52pm PST 
Agility is a lot of fun Jewel! way to go
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 3:31pm PST 
I thought it would be good physical and mental exercise for her. Everyone's guessing her age as fairly young so maybe we could do it for a year or two if they don't have small dog equipment and stop when she gets older so it's not too much for her joints.
[notify]

MattieMay

Agility Diva!

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 2:08pm PST 
Jewel, I think it's fine if you are doing it for fun. It should be safe. Talk to the instructor and explain that you are only doing it for fun and not competition. That way they won't push you too hard. Once you get to competition level, you are practicing several times a week and working on speed. If you want to qualify and level up, you have to work your dog pretty hard. Actually, the TDAA competition really seemed like "just for fun" and not too intense. I really liked it!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 5:12pm PST 
The only agility class I've seen advertised here is called "agility for fun" so we should be fine then! Which is awesome because the more she comes out her shell the more it's like...zoom boing boing zoom!
[notify]
MattieMay

Agility Diva!

Barked: Sat Aug 14, '10 7:56am PST 
Jewel, the zooming thing is exactly why I started Mattie in agility! She was a returned to breeder puppy. Her first owner said she was "too hyper" to train! I had her competing in agility at 18 months old and Rally O at 2 years. She is an easy dog to train! The best part of training agility is that your dog gains impulse control. The mental stimulation of the training helps to tire them out too. I hope you enjoy your class. If you have a yard that you can use, I can tell you how to make some pretty easy agility obstacles. Have fun!
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Aug 14, '10 8:17am PST 
I was doing some Agility with Missy last year but have since left the club and agility has been put on the back burner for now.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Sat Aug 14, '10 9:57am PST 
I have a huge yard! The first time I mowed it I regretted buying this house! laugh out loud But if Jewel's going to be into agility I'd so find someone to buy her a couple pieces, I think I've seen adds on Kijiji. You guys are getting me all excited about this but I know we have to do at least obedience level 1 before we can do agility! Argh the waiting!
[notify]
Remmy

I love Agility

Barked: Sat Aug 14, '10 11:18am PST 
I have just started training my little four year old Shih Tzu x Maltese in Agility now that Remmy is in Advanced. Kiska is only about seven pounds so I will be starting her in Specials so she only has to jump six inches and the A-frame is lowered. She is a little shy of people but has improved a lot since starting Agility. My sister and I have our own Agility equipment set up in her riding ring but once a week I take her to a class with regular equipment. I have both Kiska and Remmy entered in a trial at the end of August and two in September. Kiska will just be in Jumpers as it is just jumps, tunnels and chute. Remmy is in everything, Advanced Jumpers, Standard, Snooker and Gamblers.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2