GO!

Diet/Nutrition

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Akila

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 2:52pm PST 
Akila has been a part of the family for nearly a year and half, this is our first dog. Currently she eat's Fromm Grain Free (varying flavor's) however it has always been my goal to orient myself more with nutritional needs and gear her towards a more natural diet. She also is on a zinc supplement (recently diagnosed ZRD) and I have been giving her coconut oil daily. I am constantly overwhelmed by what I see when I do any research on this topic, there is so much information out there! I am mostly looking for a starting point and am looking to make this a slow slow transition to give myself time to learn! I'm on a budget for sure and don't have a large amount of time for daily meal preparation.
Any advice???? I appreciate it all!!
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 6:18pm PST 
I have heard Fromm is a great food. I feel Acana, which is good also, but if you are trying to get info on raw diet, I think is what your asking? There is a great forum for raw diet food here, maybe you could post there and see if someone could help? I am sure someone else here will be able to help, but I dont do raw......sorry frown
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 6:22pm PST 
If you can afford it, the easiest way to transition while you're learning is to use a premade raw diet. You can jump right in without worrying about causing imbalances, and start preparing meals here and there as you gain confidence in DIY raw.

Beef is loaded with zinc, FWIW. Not enough to make up for what a ZRD dog is missing, but the more you can get naturally the better.
[notify]