GO!

Sled pulling

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 8:40am PST 
I waas wondering if anypuppy could help me out with this. I have a 2 year old little girl and I was wondering how to go about letting Mika pull her in a sled this winter but with me still in control of her to make sure she doesn't run wild with my daughter LOL i know Huskies love to pull and my daughter is very lightweight so does anybody have any suggestions on how I could go about this?
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 6:53pm PST 
Hook her up to the sled but also keep a leash on her and run along with her. Give her commands and reward her for following them smile I would never be able to trust Dreamy to follow commands off leash but maybe you can work towards it. Your pup is still pretty young. good luck!
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 7:38pm PST 
yes that's what i thought to, just keeping a leash on her. I dont know that I would let her without a leash with little girl attached LOL....I think they will both have a ball though, thank you Dreamy smile
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 10:39pm PST 
I'm personally not a proponent of putting someone with no control behind a dog at all. There's a lot that can go wrong, even on leash. My true advice, if you want to get your child into sledding, is for YOU to get into sledding now. Once you've educated yourself have her assist and ride in the sled until she's old enough to control the sled herself.

But, if you are going to do it... Before loading any living being in the sled, have her practice with just the empty sled. If it's a super light sled, weight it a bit so it doesn't flip around.

The idea of pulling against something is disconcerting to many dogs. Even stranger is when you finally do pull and that thing proceeds to "chase" you. Many dogs will panic with reactions from freezing in place to bolting to attacking what they're hooked to.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 11:08am PST 
Thank you Ember, I dont really plan on getting into sledding or anything like that, just to have fun with it in my backyard is all. I wouldn't go anywhere with my daughter sledding behind her, but she has a harness and I remember when I was a kid having the dog pull me around behind him in the yard...so much fun, and the dog loved it to, that's all i will do with mine. But I will definitely put an empty sled behind her first to get her used to it thats a very good idea and I never thought of that, dont want her to get spooked thats for sure. Thanks again, I appreciate the advice smile
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 4:46am PST 
What kind of harness? A walking harness is very different then a sledding harness. Be sure you have the right stuff and then have fun. Maybe you could get into biking, huskies love to run with and pull bicycles.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 5:59am PST 
no she has a sledding harness, she has never used it though thats the thing, the man i got her from wanted to get into sledding but his health went bad and fast which is why he could no longer care for her. So she came with the harness. And um......yea the biking thing, sounds great, i love to bike.....except the fact that if i was on a bike and she was attached it would kind of look like this **squirrel.....SqUiRrEl..........SQUIRRRRRRRRRRREL!!!!!!!!!!! .. there we go flying into the bush! LOL laugh out loud but we are working on that hehehe, so maybe not that for the time being but i think my daughter will have some fun just getting pulled around while i have a leash attached to her also in my yard. Thank you Fritz smile
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 3:52am PST 
I have a special attachment on the bike, it puts me on the side of the bike and I can't drag it off after a squirrel. You would need a different kind of harness for that. I think actually pulling the bike is called Bikejoring and I guess a squirrel would be bad news.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 5:32pm PST 
BOL ok maybe I will check out that bike attachment, I have seen them before if it's the same thing your talking about. Thanks! smile
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 6:50am PST 
We tried the whole bikejoring thing once and Dreamy tired out pretty quick (she was already fat and out of shape) but now, I'd be afraid to try it again. She would without a doubt pull me off the path after a squirrel lol
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2