GO!

How to tell if purebred Siberian Husky?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Jan 29, '12 7:05am PST 
How can you tell from a sibe's physical features if he is purebred? Cannot locate his parents anymore. The vet said it isn't pure but he couldn't answer my question. Thank you so much for your help.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 1:04pm PST 
Photos would help, as well as back story. Where did he come from?

It's possible to get a very good guess based on the above, but there is no way to be 100% certain unless you have the dog's linage. And even that can be questionable. For instance, my old roommate has a 15 pound sable "Chihuahua" with AKC papers. He is almost certainly a Chi/Pug cross.

On the other hand, I don't have Fox's papers, but she very much fits the Sibe standard so I feel safe in assuming she is purebred. Similar with Ember - I do have AKC papers on her, but she came from an Amish puppy mill where no one really pays that much attention to breeding. However, she is close to standard. Vance, on the other hand, is way taller, narrower across the ribs and just generally not really proportioned like a Husky. I've always felt there may be something else in there.

There are some common mixes. It's common for certain breeders to cross Malamute into their lines to get bigger or calmer dogs. I've also seen a lot of breeders who go for pure white Sibes that have very German Shepherd-looking (and acting) dogs... Quite likely they are crossing white Sibes with white GSDs to cement the all white genes and keep the wolf-ish look.
[notify]