GO!

Husky Anxiety

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Snowflake- and Amber

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 8:11pm PST 
Hi We have two beautiful huskies and for the most part they are Great! But whenever my husband goes out of town overnight, the older one has a complete meltdown! She's climbing the walls, hiding behind furniture, scratching doors, and panting like crazy and shaking! Im assuming this is seperation anxiety because she misses my hubby? She used to only do it when he was gone for 3 or more days, but now, one day and shes melting down! He calls and talks to her and she calms down smile Anyone have the same issues?

Edited by author Wed Jan 25, '12 8:16pm PST

[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 12:41pm PST 
Yeah, Huskies tend toward separation anxiety. I used to work with a girl who only worked jobs she could take her Husky to, because if left home her Husky would howl for hours on end.

Vance used to destroy something every time I got in the shower. Ember used to having a screaming meltdown any time I went out of sight.

Anxiety can spike with age. Vance is actually worse in the car now than he used to be. So far no worse with separation, though. I'm betting the variable of how long your husband may be gone is actually making the anxiety stronger.

Have you considered a Thundershirt? I use and recommend them. Like the website says - it doesn't work on every dog, but the success rate is high and they are guaranteed.

There are also anti-anxiety herbs, like Rescue Remedy available OTC. Rescue Remedy in particular works for people too, so it's easy to find and comparatively inexpensive next to some of the dog-specific brands.

Some people also have success with pheromone collars or dispersers. Also widely available at pet stores.
[notify]