GO!

New Mama- worried about Husky and cats

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 12:22pm PST 
Well, you are a newbie. So you will make newbie mistakes and have a lot to learn. The problem is, you're going to have to learn it fast, because with this dog, you don't have room to make mistakes.

I don't want to come off as being overly critical of you. It's difficult to put tone on the internet. I am disappointed in the rescue. I've worked with dogs for 13 years, including helping with fostering and placement of rescues. I would never have given you this dog, with your current circumstances. The issues you are having are not about Huskies, they are about this specific dog and the way you wish to live with a dog.

It should be a rescue's goal to make a placement go as smoothly as possible - which in Jazz's case would have meant cat testing prior to adoption, and extensive education for you on rehabbing fear-reactive dogs. This would have prevented incidents like with the Dachshund and allowed you to make a guilt-free choice on whether or not you were up for adopting a rehab case.

That said, the rescue did not give either of you those benefits, and so you have your current situation.

I think you CAN make it work. You want this dog. You sound more than willing to learn, to watch what she tells you, to adapt and when necessary, to go slow. That is what it takes to rehab a dog. So the question becomes, is this the right time and the right place for you to be able to make it work?

This is where a consult with - at this point - a behaviorist comes in. You need to have this dog evaluated professionally, you need to have a plan for rehab laid out for you, and you need to decide if it is something you want to go forward with.

Not all trainers are behaviorists. One can teach sits and downs without knowing a darn thing about dog interaction, emotions and how to rehabilitate. Not all behaviorists are behaviorists, either. There is no standard in dog training, so anyone can call them self whatever they please. Look for credentials. Make absolutely certain they use all positive methods. Putting a choke, pinch or shock collar on a dog that is already insecure or afraid will compound their fear. Any apparent success in these cases is "learned helplessness." The dog is so afraid of being hurt, he just doesn't do anything at all. It's not training you can trust in the long run, and it's a crappy way to have to exist.

Resource-wise, you can try searching Association of Pet Dog Trainers. When you search, check the "certified trainer" box. Anyone - including you - could send a check to APDT and gain the right to use their logo and be listed as a trainer. To be certified, you have to pass a fairly extensive test. Still not the be-all, end-all, but it's a starting point.

Karen Pryor Academy is another great resource.

What happened with the Dachshund sounds like a combination of issues, but mostly barrier frustration. Literally the frustration of being barred from reaching something, to a point of aggressive outburst. But, without being there, without knowing Jazz and seeing the Dachshunds reaction to her, it's impossible to say for sure.

If she has barrier frustration, she may not be as fearful as suspected (the fact that she functioned at all in a dog park supports this). I definitely would not have her with any other dogs until meeting with a behaviorist, and then proceed from there as the two of you plan. I don't favor dog parks to begin with, since there is no control whatsoever. A dog who is learning to socialize needs to the most stable environment possible. Anyone can walk in to a dog park with any dog, and there's not a thing you can do about it until a problem has already happened. Then you can call the police and complain about reckless endangerment or whatever else applies.

As to the cats, I wouldn't leave her unsupervised (I count "asleep" or "in the other room" as unsupervised) with them for a long time still, especially after the Dachshund incident. Too much freedom too soon can cause problems for any dog, rescued or not. She's still showing you who she is. Best to stack the odds in her favor, even if, in the end, it wasn't necessary. The old adage "and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" applies to dogs in a HUGE way. If she is sticking around, you have the rest of her life to work things out - so - no rush.

I hope that all makes sense. That the rescue wants to talk to you and help means they do care how this works out. I just don't understand their screening/matchmaking. Hopefully some of their trainer/behaviorists will be good.
[notify]
Jazmine- *Jazzy*

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 12:35pm PST 
Thank you for the advice. I do really love her. Today I was watching her extra carefully with the cats and I completely agree on the ounce of prevention thing. I really wish I had gotten her before she got attacked by the other husky, apparently she had no problem before this. I will get her evaluated to see what's up. I think I might be making it more of an issue then it is. Her behavior with the Dachund completely confuses me. She didn't hurt him, she didn't continue after him when we finally got the dog out, she didn't growl/bark. It still is an aggressive move though. Geez she's going to take a lot I think. She was a stray for God knows how long in Dallas and I think a lot of the behavior is stemming from that. No more dog introductions until she's evaluated though!

I kinda wonder about her being placed with me as well. I do have some dog rehabbing experience but none really dog to dog. And some training experience but I think it's safe to say I'm a little over my head right now.
[notify]
Jazmine- *Jazzy*

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '12 12:29pm PST 
So I took her to the vet and told the dog trainer/behaviorist about the Dachshund incident. Both agree it's like she was treating the dog like a puppy. And that it is very weird behavior. The behaviorists we are going to work with Monday so hopefully she can give me insight into whether Jazzy is trying to play or if it is protective. And what I can do to work on it so that I don't have to worry about every off leash crazy dog coming up to us.

She did excellent at the dog park, some initial growling/posture that we corrected and once she got in and had some good introductions she was running around with a big smile on her face playing with the little dogs/puppies and even a flat-coated. Her behavior on-leash however we are going to work on and probably more socializing. It looks like she's a very fast learner and is becoming more relaxed and well-behaved. And I'm feeling less overwhelmed.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2