GO!

New Husky Mama

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 6:49pm PST 
We just got our first husky about three weeks ago. Her name is willow she is almost 5 (Feb. 2). Is she pure with papers and everything (not that it makes her more or less of a better dog without pure blood or papers). She has had 5 homes in the last year or so. But she at last has found her forever home.
She is really our first dog that my hubby and I have had as adults. I did a far amount of reading about the breed but she is really nothing like them but for three things. She never never tells us when she has to pee. She sheds like crazy! And as an older teen we had a very longed haired golden retriever. And last but not least she LOVES the snow.
Other than that she is nothing like the breed.
I can’t train her for nothing. Training dogs has always been a gift of mine. Trained my mom’s dogs, trained the ladies next door. She had been trying for years. She could tell them “no bark” “stop it” “quite” for hours and they won’t stop. One no bark from me and they are done, this is from day one.
I can’t get her to sit but that’s it. Lie down and off are the only ones that I NEED her to know. All the rest would be fun but I can live. I work with her 5 to ten minutes at a time 2 to 5 times a day.
I want her to walk with me. She won’t. She doesn’t pull too much but she walks in front none the less.
I would also like her to make noise. Funny thing to ask but is she would ‘talk’ maybe she would tell us if she has to go out. She doesn’t make any noise at all. No barking no howling no talking no noise even when she yawns.
She was breed to be a miniature but her daddy was normal size so she is a bit tall for the mini.
Also a question for anyone that might be breeders. She had to litters they both died. One all were breached the next all still born and they could not get them out without medical help. Does this mean she can’t breed at all? Where they trying to breed her with a male that was to big?
We did not get her to breed but we did think one littler would be nice and it would fun to have one littler and I would love a little black colored huskey. But it won’t be worst her life.
[notify]
Fox

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 9:35am PST 
I tend to go point by point when there are as many things going on as you have, so bear with me...

We just got our first husky about three weeks ago. Her name is willow she is almost 5 (Feb. 2). Is she pure with papers and everything (not that it makes her more or less of a better dog without pure blood or papers). She has had 5 homes in the last year or so. But she at last has found her forever home.

Congrats on your girl! I think 5 years is a wonderful age - Em is almost 5 now (March 17) and she's really come into her own, as did Vance when he was 5. Having 5 homes in the past year sets off an alarm bell for me, though. Do you know why she's had so many homes? And if not, can you find out? Fox had 6 homes in 6 years - it's because she hates other dogs (she does not mix with V and Em), likes to roam and kills small animals, including cats. Em had 3 homes in 3 years because she has enough energy to power a small town and can break out of anything. I'm fine with all these things, but knowing about them in advance can save you a lot of trouble down the road.

I did a far amount of reading about the breed but she is really nothing like them but for three things. She never never tells us when she has to pee. She sheds like crazy! And as an older teen we had a very longed haired golden retriever.

The first point is actually not typical. Huskies are usually very tidy and will go out of their way to keep their home clean. Vance actually gets irritated with me if I don't vaccum enough. She could be an anomoly, but this could also be part of her 5+ home past. She may have been in a place where she was not let out to use the bathroom.

Huskies and Goldens have completely different coat types. The stress of yet another new home has most likely triggered a coat blow. So, expect her to lose her entire undercoat in the next month or two, and then the shedding should slow down. Feeding a diet of real, unprocessed foods will help quite a bit with shedding overall. The more nutrition they get, the more they have to spare on maintaining their coat. There is all kinds of info the homecooking/raw forums, and you don't have to go 100% with it - many people do real food and a high quality kibble to save time/cost.

Other than that she is nothing like the breed.
I can’t train her for nothing. Training dogs has always been a gift of mine.
I can’t get her to sit but that’s it. Lie down and off are the only ones that I NEED her to know. All the rest would be fun but I can live. I work with her 5 to ten minutes at a time 2 to 5 times a day.
I want her to walk with me. She won’t. She doesn’t pull too much but she walks in front none the less.

I don't know what on earth you read that said Huskies were easy trained! Smart - yes, absolutely. But being smart does not equal biddable. Most Huskies have to be thoroughly convinced that listening to a human is worthwhile.

Contrary to what certain highly popular television personalities would have you believe, dog training is not a supernatural gift that we are born with. This belief has become the bane of my existance, as I constantly have people assuming they cannot train their dog themself because they aren't gifted enough, or conversely, that they should go into business as a dog trainer right now because they trained their dog and their neighbor's dog so clearly they are gifted. Some people relate better to dogs from the start, but the actual process of educating them is something we have to learn. Dog trainers (the good ones, anyway) typically spend several years educating themselves and apprentancing for experiance before officially going into business.

That being said, the fact that she's only been with you 3 weeks, and has already been bounced through 5 homes this year is working against you in a huge way. She is not yet bonded to you, and probably will not settle down and feel truly comfortable for quite some time. Right now, she has no reason to believe it is worth her time and putting her emotions on the line yet again to respect and love you. The standard time line we give for rescue dogs is 2 weeks to feel ok, 4 - 6 to feel comfortable, 4 - 6 months to feel truly at home. All of the Huskies I have worked with have taken longer than average. Typically dogs who have had 3+ homes take longer than average. There is no way to expediate this process. All you can do is keep working, and be understanding of what she has been and is still going through.

In any case, find a good, POSITIVE training class. If you go to negative training (pinch, choke and shock collars), you'll shut her down even further. Most of what you need is pretty straight forward. Leashwalking will be challanging, if she's been walking in front for 5 years, and being of a breed that was created to walk in front. It can be done, but you'll have to decide if it's important enough to you to put the work in, or if you're happy just to have her not pulling. All of my guys walk in front, but I have taught them to fall back to my side on request, in case we're coming around a corner on a crowded street or something that I don't want them encountering first.

I would also like her to make noise. Funny thing to ask but is she would ‘talk’ maybe she would tell us if she has to go out. She doesn’t make any noise at all. No barking no howling no talking no noise even when she yawns.

She either will or she won't. Some Huskies are just not talkers. You can get excited and praise every little sound she makes, in hopes she'll make more. Either someone had an issue with her talking and punished her for it, or she's just naturally quiet.

It probably won't help with potty stuff anyway. Vance is the only one who will go to the door and "woo" if he needs to go out. Ember sits on my feet and pants, Fox turns in circles in front of the door. She may be indicating, you just haven't picked up on the cue yet. You can try the bell trick - hang bells on the door knob and ring them before you go out. If she goes over to investigate and rings them, happily drop what you're doing and take her out.

She was breed to be a miniature but her daddy was normal size so she is a bit tall for the mini.

There is no such thing as a miniature Husky. They have a set size standard and will be booted out of a show ring if they are over or under height.

There are Alaskan Klee Kais, but these are actually a different breed created by mixing Huskies, American Eskimos, and others, then breeding only the offspring until they bred "true." So when you breed two Klee Kais, you will get more Klee Kais that look exactly like them. They are not just small Huskies.

Do not breed her. She already came from an irreputable breeder, if they were creating "mini" Huskies. This immediately throws her genetic health and linage into question. Plus the fact that she's lost two litters already, and is almost out of prime breeding age.

If, hypothetically, you could look up her linage, find full health reports on all of them, show and title her... Then you could consider breeding. But... You're looking for needles in a haystack. Overall, it is not worth the heartache. Bad breeders are the reason Vance has one eye, arthritis in his spine and hips (since age 4!), chronic malabsorption issues and liver failure. I love him to death, but no one should ever have to go through what we have been through. Ever. Appreciate her while she's here, and when you're ready for more Huskies rescue again or look for a wonderful breeder.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 9:00pm PST 
Thanks for replying.

I have talk to all her past owners. But her breeder (where she was born)
One person bought her from a man she said the man just had to many dogs and had to get rid of some. This woman gave her to a after a year and a half of trying to breed her with a male she had and it never working out. So she gave her to a friend that was in love with her. So that’s 2. This woman found her a new home cuz she got her to have two litters but they both passed on. So she found someone that said he wanted to get a dog for his daughter (3) but the daughter’s baby was allergic to her so she gave her back to her dad. But her dad already had two huskies in a very small home. (4) So then we got her (5)

As for the potty thing I have read many things about huskies having the issue. At least a half dozen. Most of them say they will wait till the very last minute to even try and get their humans to know they have to go.

I was only comparing Willows shedding to my goldens cuz goldens shed a LOT. You should have seen the fur coming off my parents golden.
I am sorry to believe that people do have gifts with animals does it mean they should go and open a shop. Most trainers are trainers because of this gift. But just cuz of a gift does not mean you don’t need training. There is people out there with gifts to play musical interments BUT they still learn how to play.

Also we would only EVER use positive training. Even when she does something bad there is nothing more done more than saying her name low and disappointed like.

Thanks for the bell idea we have one too.

But I will tell you there is mini huskies they are not a AKC breed but there is a such thing. Thats like said a there is no such this as a pomchi or any other of these desiner breeds
You start by taking two of the smallest huskies you can find and breeding them.
I know her line this is her. http://pawvillage.com/pedigree/dynprofile.asp?ID=UI05P996UK
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '12 4:04am PST 
Clicker training works well with Huskies. It took Fritz 6 months to decide to be my dog and trust me. Huskies are not a big breed, but legitimate breeders wouldn't be breeding for dogs that don't fit the breed standard and you don't want to support a BYB.

good luck with your new dog.
[notify]
Mishka

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 3:44am PST 
Fox gave some good advice. Huskies are a very stubborn breed and if you aren't convincing enough to them that the training is fun or interesting, they are most likely going to be disinterested and walk away from you. I rescued mishka from a guy who wanted to shoot her because he was moving. Mishka was hard to train till we introduced the clicker into our training. Clicker training helped us so much with mishka that she was obedient by 4 months that we had her. It took mishka 6 months for her to start talking. And it started because she heard the sirens from a Police car on the show cops. Ever since then we can't get her to shut up BOL. If she howls praise her fof it.
[notify]