GO!

What do you feed your Husky?/Make me a Feeding Plan!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Cooter

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 12:30pm PST 
I'm relatively new to Sibe's (although been exposed to them through my line of work and life style a lot) and i'm curious what YOU feed your SH's... please include brands and measurements. My pup's only 3 weeks old - we pick him up in January. He'll be on Iam's initially as that's what the breeder starts all her puppies on but i'm curious what is a safe, natural choice to later change him to? He will be getting a lot of exercise - minimum 2 hrs per day, upwards of 6-7 hrs on weekends, if that makes a difference.
Also, we're interested in incorporating meats and fish... still undecided on raw vs. cooked.
[notify]
Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 2:15pm PST 
Sakari gets kibble and raw. We alternate every other day. When she gets kibble it is 1 cup in the morning (normally between 6 and 8 a.m.) and a half cup in the evening. We feed Natures Variety Instinct chicken formula and she absolutely LOVES it.
Most Sibes aren't heavy eaters, compared to other dogs their size.

Sakari gets a 2 mile jog in the morning after her breakfast and we go out for 2 hours mid day where she runs in the open pasture with the other dogs. Not sure how much she gets at this time but she does A LOT of running on 15 fenced acres. Then a 2 mile walk in the evening before bedtime. She also other dogs she wrestles with all day long!

If you are interested in raw feeding it is fine to make the transition when the pup comes home just be sure to take it slow and start with chicken and don't change over to quickly.

Congrats on your new furry member, he is a dollcloud 9
[notify]
Cooter

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 2:25pm PST 
Thank you so much for your response!

So, when introducing chicken.. how much and of what cut should I use? I plan to introduce it once he settles into our home, so he'll be 8-10 weeks old.

I also see some say don't mix raw with dry - would raw in the AM and dry in the PM suffice? I also see you say you alternate days - is that a better option than the one above?

Bah.. feel like such a noob with raw feeding!!! haha.

Thanks for your nice comments - can't wait to bring him home! His little 'angry face' is so cute despite his face having not grown into his markings yet!
[notify]

Sakari

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 2:36pm PST 
I would start off with something like a boneless skinless breast (just a couple of ounces to begin with) and gradually increase the amount. Once he has adjusted to the meat itself then you can begin adding in the bones.

Always make sure that the meat you give is not enhanced and is low sodium or no sodium. After he is adjusted to the meat the cut will not matter just whatever you can find at a bargainsmile

We used to feed both daily and she did fine like that the reason I changed to alternate days is when I have a livestock show my mother REFUSES to feed raw so it works out for me alternating days.

It is always fun to watch them change and watch their color and marking change. Sakari started off as a silver then turned black then started to turn red then black and now she is a combination of black and silverlaugh out loud
[notify]
Cooter

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 2:55pm PST 
So by a few ounces, would say.... 1/4 of an average sized chicken breast suffice?
[notify]
Sakari

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 3:27pm PST 
That should be fine.
[notify]
Cooter

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 3:46pm PST 
Perfect! Cooter and I thank you smile
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 8:57pm PST 
Iams isn't a very good food, read the ingredients. If you are feeding kibble look for something with no corn, no digest, no middlings, no unnamed fat or meat. I like grain free kibble such as taste of the wild. I also love raw meat, chicken hearts are my favorite treat.

I eat 3/4 of a cup of TOTW kibble twice a day. I have raw as a treat.

If you are doing half and half, raw for one meal and kibble for the next is fine. Check out the food forum to learn more about finding a high quality kibble. (high cost doesn't always mean high quality)
[notify]