GO!

Question about your Siberian being off leash

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sage

Hanta Yo, in a- playful manner I- come

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 5:58pm PST 
I know every website about Siberian Huskies says they should never be off leash. I got Snow, my first Siberian, in '99 without knowing anything about Sibes. I had trained him to be 100% trustworthy off leash. After Snow died in 08, I really began researching the breed and discovered they shouldnt be off leash. Yet, when I got Sage, I also trained him to be off leash, as well as in 16 commands and counting. Is there anyone else on here who can have their Sibe off leash, or have I done the supposedly impossible twice? I have had several people tell me I have a unique way with dogs. I am seriously concidering becoming a dog trainer.

Thanks for your imput
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Jul 19, '11 2:51pm PST 
It isn't impossible. It's like finding the Retriever who doesn't like to retrieve. Are they out there? Sure. Are there many of them? No. Would I ever recommend a Retriever to someone who hated having balls and bumpers shoved at them constantly, on the chance they may get one that doesn't like to retrieve? Absolutely not.

It also depends on one's definition of "ok off leash." I can not walk my dog aggressive dog in certain areas because of all the rude, unruly dogs who are "ok off leash." I have actually seen people let their Husky off leash at the beach, turn around and start walking home claiming that the dog was headed that way too, that he's great off leash - he always makes his way back.

I am a dog trainer. None of my Huskies go off leash. While there is some training skill involved, whether a dog can be safely off leash or not is ultimately up to the personality of the dog. Huskies have been bred for thousands of years to move quickly away from the human yelling behind them, to make their own choices and survive in the wild. At one point, Vance was about 95% reliable off leash. He still has excellent recalls, but is getting hard of hearing. The problem was that 5% of the time he would decide to finish investigating whatever he was interested in before doing what I asked of him. If that 5% were ever on the other side of a road, or rabid, or whatever... I could have lost him.

Ember has the personality to go off leash - she's very velcro, I call her my furry little shadow. She's a perfectionist when it comes to pleasing me and get very upset if she does something wrong. However, she spent the first 2.5 years of her life breaking out of houses, fences and tie outs and basically living in the woods. That may not be something I can overcome.

Fox is far too independent, unusually so even for a Husky. We have difficulty getting her to go to the bathroom before bed if she isn't ready to go yet. Coupled with her dog and human aggression, she will never go off leash.
[notify]
Nikita

i want to go- outside!

Barked: Tue Jul 19, '11 6:19pm PST 
I've been able to get Niki back fairly easily the couple of times she's gotten loose, but I would never even attempt off leash work with her. Where my gsd automatically does as I ask without thought, I can tell she thinks about my commands before obeying when she does obey and acts like she never heard me other times.
[notify]

Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Tue Jul 19, '11 7:44pm PST 
Sakari has always been very reliable off leash and has a great recall but I always keep her on a long line just in case
[notify]
Sage

Hanta Yo, in a- playful manner I- come

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 3:59pm PST 
I have just never had any qualms but letting either Snow, when he was here with me, or Sage being off leash. Last summer while visiting my parents, I had Sage out back off leash, no fencing. I saw a rabbit coming from the neighbors yard, told Sage "Leave it" and all he did was watch it intently. That same trip, while we were playing fetch, he was chasing the ball and spied a rabbit and bolted after it. Again I said "Leave it", then "Here". He broke off the chase and came to my side.
The breeder I bought Snow from were my parents neighbors. I would come home for a visit. Snow and I would do a training session, having him sit and I would step off about 70 yards, make him wait, then "Come" or "Here". (Come, is to return to me and sit in front of me, Here is like "with me" to be in a 10 ft radius of me). After our training session,which I do daily, I would leave Snow in the yard while i went in to get something to eat. The breeders husband would stop by, and see Snow in the yard while I was inside eating and watching tv, he would just shake his head. Sage is only 2 and I do not have that much trust in him, but in another 2 years, I would feel completely safe in doing it with him.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jul 22, '11 8:20am PST 
Sometimes it can be that Husky don't escapes being off leash. Despite that fact it's strongly recommended to keep Siberian Huskies on leash because of their desire to RUN!
More info about Siberian Huskies you can find on http://thehusky.info/
[notify]
Maya --&- Ramses--

Mayaaaaaaa...don- t wander so- far....

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 8:44pm PST 
I know of one. My ex-boyfriend's husky was awesome off leash. I often watched them and knew right away that I would never be able to do that.

Yes, the personality matters. Kiera, was awesome at off-leash training. She was always attentive to him but was always an only dog.

In the other hand, Maya is superb hyper. Has an acute hearing and high chase-drive. She's also very independent. I often think of her as...a bird. Besides, she had always had company. She had Odin, then Ramses. We always go to my aunt's house and she plays with Kenai and I took care of a friend's husky Kiba for a while. Maya loves to play, with dog, cats, lizards, bunnies, cockroaches. Anything that moves. So, she's easily distracted.

Also, she's very bossy with other dogs. I've worked with her some, but that backbones doesn't just go away. She's good with me, and listens, but she is not the same with other dogs. She's hard-headed and has some leader qualities on her.

So, yes. I think it depends on the dogs personality. Now, Ramses is another story...he's more calm than her in that aspect. Haven't tried with him either...but not sure I will. After being scared by Maya as a puppy...I'm not really willing to risk it.
[notify]
Diego- Armando

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 3:10pm PST 
Both my huskies are good offleash, but even still I don't keep him off leash unless we are in a place where I know they cannot just all of a sudden run off and get hurt.
My older husky Diego whom is 1 1/2 years old can be off leash, sits, comes, stays and all of the things that you mentioned with very little training. But still I would never leave him off leash where he could get hurt and that goes for any breed. My younger one, Maggie (3 months old), is GREAT off leash, she will not move from my side...as long as I have treats, but again I will not leave her off leash unless I know it's safe, which is rare.
[notify]
Luna

Rub my belly!

Barked: Mon Aug 15, '11 6:37pm PST 
It can be done, but with any dog, don't trust it completely. My Luna used to be HORRIBLE at recall and I'd have to chase her 3 yards down (luckily we live in a very quite neighbor hood no heavy traffic). My fiance and I worked with her and gotten her to the point where a cat can creep by and so long as we tell her to stay she'll stay put (but I always put a leg or arm nearby just in case). We always reward her greatly when she stays put, make a huge deal and give her a treat.
[notify]
Kadan

Roo!

Barked: Fri Aug 19, '11 5:58pm PST 
I trust mine off-leash about as much as I could throw them. I think some Siberians are capable of it, especially after the puppy stage and they mature more, but every dog is an individual and each one has a differing level of prey drive which is typically the main concern with an off-leash Sibe. Under normal, calm circumstances they might stay with you just fine. But once a small creature comes into the picture...

I always err on the side of caution because it's just not worth the risk. I'll use a flexi or long lead but that's it. They're only off-leash in enclosed areas.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2